Shut Up & Dance is an annual benefit performance produced by Dancers of Pennsylvania Ballet for Metropolitan Area Neighborhood Nutrition Alliance (MANNA) which will take place this year on Saturday, April 14 at the Forrest Theatre at 8 pm. Each year, Dancers of Pennsylvania Ballet donate their time and talent to put on a one-night-only performance that is sure to make you laugh, cry, and blush.
Each Shut Up & Dance ticket purchased provides nourishing meals to MANNA clients battling a life-threatening illness, such as HIV/AIDS, cancer, diabetes and renal disease. Over the 26-year history of the event, it has raised over $1.7 million for MANNA’s programs.
“The volunteer commitment from the Dancers amazes us every year,” says MANNA CEO Sue Daugherty. “Their dedication to MANNA and our clients means so much to us.”
Pennsylvania Ballet Soloist Alexandra Hughes will make her debut as Producing Director, after seven years dancing in the show and working on the production team. Hughes says, “It’s an honor to be in this role. Shut Up & Dance is a legacy that we as dancers are so proud of, and it’s important to us to give back to a city that has given us so much. MANNA does amazing things for the greater Philadelphia community, and we are so thankful to use this opportunity to use our passion to benefit our community.
The 2018 Shut Up & Dance also features the debut of hosts John Jarboe & The Bearded Ladies Cabaret. Tickets are available for purchase at www.mannapa.org/dance.
In addition to the performance, three exclusive parties are held before and after the show. Philanthropist Steven Korman hosts the 6:00 pm VIP party at The Forrest Theatre, featuring cocktails, food, and refreshments by Di Bruno Brothers and the MANNA kitchen. The Young Friends of MANNA will be holding their Pre-Party at Ports. Tickets for the VIP party and Young Friends Pre-Party are also available on www.mannapa.org/dance. The official Shut Up & Dance after-party at Voyeur Nightclub is open to all ticket holders and begins immediately following the performance.
Event sponsors include – Silver Sponsor: Zurich. Bronze Sponsors: Jefferson University Hospital, Freidman LLP, Independence Foundation, and Penn Jersey Paper.
MANNA prepares and delivers delicious nourishing meals and counsel, empowering individuals to battle illness and improve their quality of life. A small professional staff and 4,500 dedicated volunteers bring more than 95,000 nutritious, home-delivered meals each month to individuals and families living with HIV/AIDS, cancer, and other life-threatening illnesses. MANNA dietitians promote wellness through nutrition education and counseling. Through these services, MANNA provides opportunities for caring people to extend loving support to families, friends, and neighbors.
- The Annenberg Center Presents the Philadelphia Debut of Ephrat Asherie, February 7-8 - January 22, 2020
- The Annenberg Center Presents Paul Taylor Dance Company, January 24-25 - January 17, 2020
- BeijingDance/LDTX premieres at Drexel, Feb. 14 & 15 - January 13, 2020
- A multi-generational cast of women come together in HOMEbody, Feb 22 - January 10, 2020
- Cunningham opens in Philadelphia - January 9, 2020
- Soledad Barrio & Noche Flamenca Return to Philadelphia, Jan 15 – Feb 2 - January 9, 2020
- Nickerson-Rossi Dance offers a Performance and Educational Dance Series, Jan 17-19 - December 31, 2019
- The International Association of Blacks in Dance (IABD) comes to Philadelphia, Jan 14-19 - December 20, 2019
- Philadelphia Dance Projects (PDP) presents DANCE UP CLOSE, Jan 22-23 & Feb 26-27 - December 19, 2019
- The Annenberg Center Presents PHILADANCO’s Xmas Philes, Dec. 12-14 - December 5, 2019