Shut Up & Dance is an annual benefit performance produced by Dancers of Pennsylvania Ballet for Metropolitan Area Neighborhood Nutrition Alliance (MANNA) which will take place this year on Saturday, April 14 at the Forrest Theatre at 8 pm. Each year, Dancers of Pennsylvania Ballet donate their time and talent to put on a one-night-only performance that is sure to make you laugh, cry, and blush.
Each Shut Up & Dance ticket purchased provides nourishing meals to MANNA clients battling a life-threatening illness, such as HIV/AIDS, cancer, diabetes and renal disease. Over the 26-year history of the event, it has raised over $1.7 million for MANNA’s programs.
“The volunteer commitment from the Dancers amazes us every year,” says MANNA CEO Sue Daugherty. “Their dedication to MANNA and our clients means so much to us.”
Pennsylvania Ballet Soloist Alexandra Hughes will make her debut as Producing Director, after seven years dancing in the show and working on the production team. Hughes says, “It’s an honor to be in this role. Shut Up & Dance is a legacy that we as dancers are so proud of, and it’s important to us to give back to a city that has given us so much. MANNA does amazing things for the greater Philadelphia community, and we are so thankful to use this opportunity to use our passion to benefit our community.
The 2018 Shut Up & Dance also features the debut of hosts John Jarboe & The Bearded Ladies Cabaret. Tickets are available for purchase at www.mannapa.org/dance.
In addition to the performance, three exclusive parties are held before and after the show. Philanthropist Steven Korman hosts the 6:00 pm VIP party at The Forrest Theatre, featuring cocktails, food, and refreshments by Di Bruno Brothers and the MANNA kitchen. The Young Friends of MANNA will be holding their Pre-Party at Ports. Tickets for the VIP party and Young Friends Pre-Party are also available on www.mannapa.org/dance. The official Shut Up & Dance after-party at Voyeur Nightclub is open to all ticket holders and begins immediately following the performance.
Event sponsors include – Silver Sponsor: Zurich. Bronze Sponsors: Jefferson University Hospital, Freidman LLP, Independence Foundation, and Penn Jersey Paper.
MANNA prepares and delivers delicious nourishing meals and counsel, empowering individuals to battle illness and improve their quality of life. A small professional staff and 4,500 dedicated volunteers bring more than 95,000 nutritious, home-delivered meals each month to individuals and families living with HIV/AIDS, cancer, and other life-threatening illnesses. MANNA dietitians promote wellness through nutrition education and counseling. Through these services, MANNA provides opportunities for caring people to extend loving support to families, friends, and neighbors.
- BalletX Spring and Summer Series 2020 Canceled - May 27, 2020
- Ballet, movement, imagination, and more with ZoomDance - May 18, 2020
- BalletX Says Farewell to Longtime Company Member Caili Quan – Welcomes Two New Dancers Savannah Green and Ashley Simpson - May 14, 2020
- Restorative Contact for Quarantine Buddies with Gabrielle Revlock - April 14, 2020
- The Lady Hoofers Tap Ensemble Spreads Joy Remotely During Pandemic - March 24, 2020
- ARTIST HOUSE / Asya Zlatina + Dancers present CARRY ON, Virtually April 2 at 12:30 pm - March 23, 2020
- Jeanine Durning Teaches two workshops in Philadelphia – POSTPONED - March 10, 2020
- Bill T. Jones, Deep Blue Sea is coming to the Mann, May 8-9 - March 2, 2020
- Philadelphia Dance Projects Presents A Provocative Evening of Screendance and Live Dance – POSTPONED - February 28, 2020
- Metropolitan Ballet’s 2020 Variations/Collaborations, POSTPONED - February 26, 2020