We are always looking for new writers to join our staff.
1. You should be based in the greater Philadelphia region.
2. We seek individuals who have both and interest and passion for dance and writing.
3. You should be open to covering diverse styles and genres of dance or current topics in the field of dance.
4. You should be open to new and alternative journalistic formats.
5. If reviewing dance, you should be open to the practice of constructive critique.
6. You should keep in mind that the goal of the Dance Journal is to reach, engage and expose existing, new and potential audiences to dance.
Paid writers are expected to contribute a minimum of 1-2 pieces per month in order to have your own featured column.
Access to Performances
Our writers are considered to be members of the press and can usually have complimentary access to area performances for review.
We consider this a privilege not to be abused. Comps are only issued in exchange for written pieces. Requesting comps for a companion is not permitted.
Review & Approval
1. Topics/performances you wish to cover each month MUST be cleared in advance to avoid duplication as well as any potential issues.
2. All articles submitted are reviewed before publication. The Dance Journal reserves the right to edit and if need be reject submissions that do not meet our general guidelines and editorial standards.
3. Only published articles in the Dance Journal are compensated.
We usually pay $50 per article, for first publication rights (up to 30 days) plus the non-exclusive right to store the pieces in our archives.
For seasoned journalists, pay rates are negotiated separately and contractually agreed to in advance.
Payment is either issued electronically via PayPal or through check via Wells Fargo Bill Pay immediately after submission and acceptance of the article.
Send an email to email@example.com with the subject line – Dance Journal. Please state your interest in writing for us as well as provide
a writing sample for review. While we prefer the writing sample be about dance, we will accept other topics. If approved, we will ask that you cover and write about an area performance or event as a final submission for paid writer status with The Dance Journal.
Please see our rates and terms at https://philadelphiadance.org/dancejournal/sponsored-posts/