Lyons and Tigers presents Pendulum, an evening of performance and dance work on April 28 and 29 at 8 PM at The Iron Factory. The show features Philadelphia-based choreographers Zornitsa Stoyanova, Darcy Lyons, Amy Lynne Barr, and Courtney Colón.
Untitled and Solo is a new solo performance by Zornitsa Stoyanova that speaks through gesture, posture, and ever-shifting emotional effect. It deconstructs communication and translates internal and external narratives through the body. Zornitsa is sometimes abstracted and objectified but still feels your gaze (judgment) upon her skin. Though she doesn’t speak, she is not yours. Her body is her language, and you cannot possess her. Unashamed, she reclaims her power through the expression of her emotions. She is originally from Bulgaria and moved to Philadelphia after receiving a B.A. from Bennington College in Vermont.
Grate by Amy Lynne Barr tackles the ideals of self-perceived greatness, personal history, and life’s expectations. A journey into the use of language and how it can impress value upon us and in turn do exactly the opposite. Creating work that mixes humor, poignancy, and extreme physicality, Amy Lynne Barr engages the audience viscerally with choreography that is intellectual in conception and creation. Barr received her MFA in Choreography from the University of Iowa.
Femme, a new work by Courtney Colón, investigates the politics surrounding women’s bodies. Through original movement, sound, and visual installations, Femme explores ideologies surrounding the historical, sociological, and cultural intersections of the contemporary woman’s experience.
Lyons and Tigers, aka Darcy Lyons, presents a reworked version of Heaviness/Lightness, a piece directed by Darcy Lyons and co-created with the dance and percussion duo STB x AT (Sean Thomas-Boyt and Andy Thierauf). In this experimental work, the performers interact and explore the varying definitions and connotations of lightness and heaviness through movement, live sound, and interactions with Newton’s cradles.
Pendulum is an evening that thrives on experimentation. All of the artists are pushing dance beyond its boundaries. Each unique in their approach to making, all of these strong women give themselves the freedom to play and blur the lines between contemporary dance, performance art, visual art, sound, and music.
Lyons and Tigers presents Pendulum
Saturday, April 28 and Sunday, April 29, 2018 at 8 PM
The Iron Factory, 118 Fontain Street, 3rd floor, Philadelphia, PA 19122
- Koresh Continues Its Weekend Streaming Performance Series June 26-July 13 - June 23, 2020
- Fidget Participates in Inaugural Residency with Under Construction Arts - June 19, 2020
- BalletX Welcomes New Dance Fellow Shawn Cusseaux - June 17, 2020
- The Performance Garage Announces The 2020/21 DanceVisions’ Resident Artist, Joe González - June 15, 2020
- Roni Koresh short film series: HIDE YOUR FACE/UNMASK YOUR HEART, June 12-14 - June 12, 2020
- BalletX to Premiere Four Short Dance Films by Choreographers Hope Boykin, Rena Butler, Caili Quan, and Penny Saunders, June 14 - June 12, 2020
- Movers and Makers: Philadanco Turns 50, June 18 - June 10, 2020
- BalletX Spring and Summer Series 2020 Canceled - May 27, 2020
- Ballet, movement, imagination, and more with ZoomDance - May 18, 2020
- BalletX Says Farewell to Longtime Company Member Caili Quan – Welcomes Two New Dancers Savannah Green and Ashley Simpson - May 14, 2020