Lyons and Tigers presents Pendulum, an evening of performance and dance work on April 28 and 29 at 8 PM at The Iron Factory. The show features Philadelphia-based choreographers Zornitsa Stoyanova, Darcy Lyons, Amy Lynne Barr, and Courtney Colón.
Untitled and Solo is a new solo performance by Zornitsa Stoyanova that speaks through gesture, posture, and ever-shifting emotional effect. It deconstructs communication and translates internal and external narratives through the body. Zornitsa is sometimes abstracted and objectified but still feels your gaze (judgment) upon her skin. Though she doesn’t speak, she is not yours. Her body is her language, and you cannot possess her. Unashamed, she reclaims her power through the expression of her emotions. She is originally from Bulgaria and moved to Philadelphia after receiving a B.A. from Bennington College in Vermont.
Grate by Amy Lynne Barr tackles the ideals of self-perceived greatness, personal history, and life’s expectations. A journey into the use of language and how it can impress value upon us and in turn do exactly the opposite. Creating work that mixes humor, poignancy, and extreme physicality, Amy Lynne Barr engages the audience viscerally with choreography that is intellectual in conception and creation. Barr received her MFA in Choreography from the University of Iowa.
Femme, a new work by Courtney Colón, investigates the politics surrounding women’s bodies. Through original movement, sound, and visual installations, Femme explores ideologies surrounding the historical, sociological, and cultural intersections of the contemporary woman’s experience.
Lyons and Tigers, aka Darcy Lyons, presents a reworked version of Heaviness/Lightness, a piece directed by Darcy Lyons and co-created with the dance and percussion duo STB x AT (Sean Thomas-Boyt and Andy Thierauf). In this experimental work, the performers interact and explore the varying definitions and connotations of lightness and heaviness through movement, live sound, and interactions with Newton’s cradles.
Pendulum is an evening that thrives on experimentation. All of the artists are pushing dance beyond its boundaries. Each unique in their approach to making, all of these strong women give themselves the freedom to play and blur the lines between contemporary dance, performance art, visual art, sound, and music.
Lyons and Tigers presents Pendulum
Saturday, April 28 and Sunday, April 29, 2018 at 8 PM
The Iron Factory, 118 Fontain Street, 3rd floor, Philadelphia, PA 19122
- Dawn Marie Bazemore’s DanceVisions Residency Concert, April 19-20 - April 18, 2019
- The 9th Philly Tango Fest to take place Memorial Day Weekend, May 24 – 27, 2019 - April 17, 2019
- Bryn Mawr College Dance Program Spring Concert, April 26-27 - April 16, 2019
- Reflection:Response Commission 2019 awarded to Marion Ramírez - April 2, 2019
- The Annenberg Center presents BODYTRAFFIC and A Million Voices choreographed by Matthew Neenan, April 26-27 - March 30, 2019
- The Lady Hoofers’ Annual Spring Concert – On Tap, May 4th - March 20, 2019
- The air is describing us, May 10-11 - March 15, 2019
- FringeArts announces open call to participate in large-scale public dance processional, Úumbal: Nomadic Choreography for Inhabitants - March 5, 2019
- SHARP Dance Company to perform 669, April 13 - March 3, 2019
- Dance Emerge at Muhlenberg, April 11-14 - March 2, 2019