Expansions Contemporary Dance Ensemble will be participating in FringeArts for the first time, presenting Connecting the Distance, an exciting dance video interactive walking tour.
Connecting the Distance takes you on both a physical and emotional journey. You will explore the passage of time and connection to locations, history and present, our existence. The locations for your adventure will be available through a Connecting the Distance Google Map sent to ticket holders. At each location, in both Mt Airy and North Philly, you will find a unique poster with QR Codes featuring different artists and performances for the extent of the Fringe Festival. Make sure to bring your phone and/or tablet, plus download a QR Code reader for this virtual site-specific experience by this choreographer/artist administered company.
This dance walking tour runs on a flexible schedule from September 10th through October 4th for just $5. Purchase tickets online at https://fringearts.com/event/expansions-presents-connecting-the-distance/
Expansions Director/Choreographer, Christina Castro-Tauser, started rehearsal in January with featured company dancer, Courtney Piligreen. Her solo, Lista Para Volar is inspired by the extreme physicality, control, and beauty of the Oropendola bird from the Caribbean. Courtney states “I truly feel as though I am not only telling the story of this bird but also the story of my ancestors.”
Lista Para Volar starts the journey and then is followed by a series of vignettes. She is joined in a duet and trio with new Expansions company members Peyton Bellman, Coralie-Michell Francois, and Michelle-Olivia Francois.
Also on the bill are two Expansions company members from Atlanta, GA, Cara Celeste and Sabastian E. Willson. Cara and Sabastian have danced in Christina’s work for a decade. They were last seen in Expansions’ evening length work Ripple Effect in 2017.
Other company members include Anakeiry Cruz – NYC, Sophia Dixon – GA , Madeline Mc Clurg – GA,, Catalina Walsh – PA, David Heller PA, and Guest Rhonda Moore – PA.
Music for the performance was created by Christipher B Farrell, an award winning composer, multi-instrumentalist, producer, and founder of the Rit Mo Collective. Christopher has scored music for over 100 multi-media productions including film, television, dance, and spoken word poetry.
Expansions is joined in this project by the Mt. Airy Dance Collective, a group of independent artists, educators, dancers, movers, and musicians. Facilitated by Monica Frichtel, the Mt. Airy Movement Collective Performers include Anna Beresin, Mady Cantor, Christina Castro-Tauser, Monica Cameron Frichtel, Joy Friedlander, Amy Lee, Gaby Mahler, Carolyn Pautz, and Dawn States.
Editing and design work was done by Scott Tauser and FringeArts staff assisted with the filming of several sections.
Connecting the Distance
September 10th through October 4th
Flexible time schedule
- Philadelphia’s Rennie Harris Receives 2020 Doris Duke Artist Award - September 17, 2020
- Choreographer, Tommie-Waheed Evans to be featured in PDP’s Informance, Oct 14th - September 14, 2020
- The Way Out: pandemic-proof live Fringe show in a graveyard, Oct.1-3 - September 9, 2020
- Connecting the Distance takes you on a dance video interactive walking tour, Sept 10 – Oct 4 - September 4, 2020
- Britt Whitmoyer Fishel brings allowed|aloud to FringeArts, Oct 2-4 - September 1, 2020
- Evalina “Wally” Carbonell and Weiwei Ma present BLOOD, Sept 24-27 - August 30, 2020
- Take It Away Dance returns to the Philly Fringe with a full month of tap dance and jazz music concerts live-streamed on Sunday afternoons - August 11, 2020
- Coming to FringeArts – Pasion y Arte’s Sevillana Get Togethers 2020, Sept 17 – Oct 4 - August 11, 2020
- Choreographer Megan Mazarick launches PDP’S online Informance series, Sept 9th - August 10, 2020
- BalletX Goes Virtual with BalletX Beyond for Its 15th Anniversary Season - July 28, 2020