Pasion y Arte, Philadelphia’s premier all-female flamenco dance company, is excited to present Sevillana Get Togethers 2020, a combination of virtual learning, digital content, and a final live virtual gathering as part of the 2020 Fringe Festival. The premieres of the Sevillana 1-3 videos on the Pasion y Arte website will take place on September 17, September 24, and October 1 at 5 pm. The final live virtual event will take place on October 4 at 5 pm.
During a time when it has become easy to feel isolated and disconnected from others, Sevillana Get Togethers 2020 is a new interactive project that aims to keep people connected while also honoring the personal self and celebrating humanity.
What is the Sevillana? The Sevillana is a colorful and exciting style of song and dance that originated in Castile and not in Seville, a variation from a style of dance known as the seguidilla. The Sevillana is not flamenco, although today it is performed by flamenco artists who give it that special flamenco touch. It is performed to a strict 3/4 rhythm and is danced by pairs or groups of people. The dance is choreographed to a pre-established routine and has 4 Coplas (Sections). Today, the Sevillana is danced at any form of get-together; whether it is the feria, a wedding, or at a family party where everyone present will join in. It is a celebration of being together with others—family, friends, and co-workers.
Sevillana Get Togethers 2020 involves virtual learning, where participants will learn the 4 sections of the Sevillana dance by taking free weekly Zoom classes throughout the summer taught by PyA Artistic Director, Elba Hevia y Vaca. When participants have learned a Sevillana, they will then record themselves dancing from the privacy of their own home and submit those videos to Ms. Hevia y Vaca. These personal videos will then be transformed into a Mandala video, a human collage of sorts, where participants will dance together on one screen. Those participating are PyA Conservatory students, former and current PyA company members, international flamenco artists, and the general public.
The final, live virtual event will be on October 4 on the last day of the Philadelphia Fringe Festival. Audiences will be able to log on to watch and/or dance the final 4th Sevillana with other members of the larger Philadelphia community. This event will feature a short history of Sevillana by Elba Hevia y Vaca, a brief review of the first 3 Sevillana, and live musical accompaniment. It will be a celebration of community and of joining in with others in a dance to celebrate one another.
“I feel that especially now, in these times of isolation and injustice, we need to connect as a community more than ever,” says Hevia y Vaca. “In times of quarantine and social distancing, I still believe that we can connect virtually and meet each other to dance alone AND together. Whatever limitations we have in our life now, we are free to choose and create a life-sustaining society through honoring our community and all of its colors. Sevillana Get Togethers 2020 is about honoring our isolation and connectivity to our colorful community.”
Sevillana Get Togethers 2020
Thursday, September 17 at 5 pm
Premiere of Sevillana 1 video on pasionyarteflamenco.org
Thursday, September 24 at 5pm
Premiere of Sevillana 2 video on pasionyarteflamenco.org
Thursday, October 1 at 5 pm
Premiere of Sevillana 3 video on pasionyarteflamenco.org
Sunday, October 4 at 5 pm
Live virtual Sevillana 4 event
Digital platform TBD
- Take It Away Dance returns to the Philly Fringe with a full month of tap dance and jazz music concerts live-streamed on Sunday afternoons - August 11, 2020
- BalletX Goes Virtual with BalletX Beyond for Its 15th Anniversary Season - July 28, 2020
- Coming to FringeArts – Pasion y Arte’s Sevillana Get Togethers 2020, Sept 17 – Oct 4 - July 28, 2020
- Announcing the 2020 Philadelphia Fringe Festival Artist Lineup, Sep 10 – Oct 4 - July 24, 2020
- BalletX Celebrates Caili Quan, July 22 - July 14, 2020
- Poético Dance Collective transforms works in progress into virtual showcase - July 13, 2020
- Christina Castro-Tauser named executive director of International Ballet Exchange - July 7, 2020
- Koresh Continues Its Weekend Streaming Performance Series June 26-July 13 - June 23, 2020
- Fidget Participates in Inaugural Residency with Under Construction Arts - June 19, 2020
- BalletX Welcomes New Dance Fellow Shawn Cusseaux - June 17, 2020