BalletX, Philadelphia’s Premier Contemporary Ballet Company, celebrates its 15th Anniversary in the 2020-2021 Season with 15 short and feature dance films by choreographers from around the world, streaming virtually only with the company’s new digital subscription series, BalletX Beyond.
“As our world rapidly changes, I believe we must lean into the arts and their power to connect us. With BalletX Beyond, BalletX is committed to bringing dance to our community like never before, reaching a broader audience and envisioning what world premiere ballet can be, beyond the stage,” says Christine Cox, Artistic & Executive Director of BalletX.
Choreographers slated to premiere 10 “shorts” on BalletX Beyond include Robbie Fairchild (New York, NY), Amy Hall Garner (New York, NY), Maddie Hanson (Canada), Francesca Harper (New York, NY), Tsai Hsi Hung (Taiwan), Stephanie Martinez (Chicago, IL), Mariana Oliveira (Brazil), Loughlan Prior (New Zealand), Gustavo Ramirez Sansano (Spain), and Manuel Vignoulle (France and New York, NY). The 5 “features” will be choreographed by BalletX co-founder Matthew Neenan (Philadelphia, PA), Hope Boykin (New York, NY), R. Colby Damon (Philadelphia, PA), Dwight Rhoden (New York, NY), and 2021 Choreographic Fellow Alia Kache (New York, NY). Choreographers Rena Butler (Chicago, IL), Caili Quan (Philadelphia, PA and New York, NY), and Penny Saunders (Salt Lake City, UT) will create 3 bonus virtual world premieres, originally slated to premiere in BalletX’s 2019-2020 Season. BalletX will enlist several filmmakers to collaborate on the World Premiere virtual commissions, including Jorge Cousineau, Elliot deBruyn, Daniel Madoff, Quinn Wharton, and Tshay Williams.
Essential to the season, BalletX will implement a comprehensive health and safety plan for dancers, collaborators, and audiences that adheres to city and state COVID-19 guidelines, with input from medical and public health officials. The company hopes to be back in the theater for public performances by spring or summer 2021, dependent on local and state guidelines. In the meantime, the company will seek to engage with more fans from around the world than ever before through BalletX Beyond.
- Take It Away Dance returns to the Philly Fringe with a full month of tap dance and jazz music concerts live-streamed on Sunday afternoons - August 11, 2020
- BalletX Goes Virtual with BalletX Beyond for Its 15th Anniversary Season - July 28, 2020
- Coming to FringeArts – Pasion y Arte’s Sevillana Get Togethers 2020, Sept 17 – Oct 4 - July 28, 2020
- Announcing the 2020 Philadelphia Fringe Festival Artist Lineup, Sep 10 – Oct 4 - July 24, 2020
- BalletX Celebrates Caili Quan, July 22 - July 14, 2020
- Poético Dance Collective transforms works in progress into virtual showcase - July 13, 2020
- Christina Castro-Tauser named executive director of International Ballet Exchange - July 7, 2020
- Koresh Continues Its Weekend Streaming Performance Series June 26-July 13 - June 23, 2020
- Fidget Participates in Inaugural Residency with Under Construction Arts - June 19, 2020
- BalletX Welcomes New Dance Fellow Shawn Cusseaux - June 17, 2020