BalletX, led by Artistic & Executive Director Christine Cox, is pleased to welcome Independence Foundation Dance Fellow Shawn Cusseaux to the roster at an exciting time as the company prepares to celebrate its 15th Anniversary Season in 2020-21. Shawn comes to BalletX from Point Park University in Pittsburgh, with a concentration in Modern Dance. The community is invited to get acquainted with Shawn via Instagram Live @balletx.official on Thursday, June 25 at 12:00pm EST, when he will participate in a BalletX Lunch Break virtual chat with Christine Cox.
“BalletX launched our Dance Fellowship a year ago for precisely a dancer of Shawn’s extraordinary talent. Expressive, intelligent, and incredibly dedicated, Shawn will train and rehearse alongside the company. We look forward to working with him,” says Cox.
Shawn Cusseaux attended Pinellas County Center for the Arts at Gibbs High School in St. Petersburg, Florida before attending Point Park University in Pittsburgh, with a concentration in Modern Dance. While at Point Park, he studied under Caitlyn Scranton, Susan Stowe, Jason McDole, among others. He received additional training with MOVE (NYC) S.W.E.A.T, Alonzo King Lines Ballet, Miami City Ballet, Next Generation Ballet, and Complexions Contemporary Ballet. He is also skilled in West African Dance. His performances include Into the Light (Soloist) choreographed by Jae Man Jo; The Art of War (Soloist) choreographed by Edwaard Liang; Missa Brevis choreographed by Jose Limon, staged by Jennifer Scanlan; Orenda choreographed by Jennifer Archibald; Traverse choreographed by Garfield Lemonius; Cadences (Soloist) choreographed by Amy Hall Garner; (Count)er Counterpoint choreographed by Arturo Fernandez; Carmic Variations choreographed by Jason Mcdole; Glasnov (soloist) staged by Suzanne Stowe; and Casita choreographed by Robert Priorie; as well as Summer Season performances with Texture Contemporary Ballet Company and guest appearances with Ballet Nova and Pittsburgh Ballet House. 2020-21 marks his first season as a Dance Fellow with BalletX, supported by a grant from the Independence Foundation.
- Philadelphia’s Rennie Harris Receives 2020 Doris Duke Artist Award - September 17, 2020
- Choreographer, Tommie-Waheed Evans to be featured in PDP’s Informance, Oct 14th - September 14, 2020
- The Way Out: pandemic-proof live Fringe show in a graveyard, Oct.1-3 - September 9, 2020
- Connecting the Distance takes you on a dance video interactive walking tour, Sept 10 – Oct 4 - September 4, 2020
- Britt Whitmoyer Fishel brings allowed|aloud to FringeArts, Oct 2-4 - September 1, 2020
- Evalina “Wally” Carbonell and Weiwei Ma present BLOOD, Sept 24-27 - August 30, 2020
- Take It Away Dance returns to the Philly Fringe with a full month of tap dance and jazz music concerts live-streamed on Sunday afternoons - August 11, 2020
- Coming to FringeArts – Pasion y Arte’s Sevillana Get Togethers 2020, Sept 17 – Oct 4 - August 11, 2020
- Choreographer Megan Mazarick launches PDP’S online Informance series, Sept 9th - August 10, 2020
- BalletX Goes Virtual with BalletX Beyond for Its 15th Anniversary Season - July 28, 2020