The Mann Center for The Performing Arts, 5201 Parkside Ave, Phila, will be presenting Bill T. Jones, Deep Blue Sea, on May 8th & 9th at 8:00pm (doors open at 6:30pm). Tickets are $30 in advance and $35 day of show, available online at https://bit.ly/2vzPHwi
Deep Blue Sea will be an immersive arts experience that explores the relationships between the individual and the larger community, as well as performer and audience. Directed and choreographed by Tony-Award winning Bill T. Jones, Deep Blue Sea unfolds in three sections: a solo by Jones deconstructing text from Martin Luther King, Jr.’s landmark “I Have a Dream” speech, which evolves over time into the 10-member Bill T. Jones/Arnie Zane Company, that further expands into an expansive collaboration with local Philadelphia participants.
The work will explore the manipulation of text, spoken word, and singing as part of an ever-present sound score composed by Nick Hallett in collaboration with Music Producer HPrizm aka High Priest. Creating the physical environment is architectural team Diller Scofidio + Renfro and Project Designer Peter Nigrini, with lighting by Designer Robert Wierzel and costumes by Liz Prince.
A key component of this work is the exploration of community, driven by the concept of self-identity within the elusive group. Deep Blue Sea will be created around a diverse group of 60 community members, who will work with the company over a six-month period through a series of residencies. The Company will work with community participants through layers of dialogue, movement exploration, and community building, resulting in a truly Philadelphia-centric performance that reflects the diversity of the communities present.
Creator & Director Bill T. Jones
Associate Director Janet Wong
Choreography Bill T. Jones, Janet Wong and the Bill T. Jones/Arnie Zane Company
Visual Environment Elizabeth Diller (DS+R) and Peter Nigrini
Lighting Design Robert Wierzel
Original Score Nick Hallett
Music Producer Hprizm aka High Priest
Costume Design Liz Prince
Dramaturg Mark Hairston
- BalletX Spring and Summer Series 2020 Canceled - May 27, 2020
- Ballet, movement, imagination, and more with ZoomDance - May 18, 2020
- BalletX Says Farewell to Longtime Company Member Caili Quan – Welcomes Two New Dancers Savannah Green and Ashley Simpson - May 14, 2020
- Restorative Contact for Quarantine Buddies with Gabrielle Revlock - April 14, 2020
- The Lady Hoofers Tap Ensemble Spreads Joy Remotely During Pandemic - March 24, 2020
- ARTIST HOUSE / Asya Zlatina + Dancers present CARRY ON, Virtually April 2 at 12:30 pm - March 23, 2020
- Jeanine Durning Teaches two workshops in Philadelphia – POSTPONED - March 10, 2020
- Bill T. Jones, Deep Blue Sea is coming to the Mann, May 8-9 - March 2, 2020
- Philadelphia Dance Projects Presents A Provocative Evening of Screendance and Live Dance – POSTPONED - February 28, 2020
- Metropolitan Ballet’s 2020 Variations/Collaborations, POSTPONED - February 26, 2020