Metropolitan’s 2020 Variations/Collaborations performance includes two world premieres by Princess Grace Foundation- USA award winners, Jenelle Figgins and Tommie-Waheed Evans. Metropolitan’s Artistic Director Lisa Collins Vidnovic says, “We are thrilled to showcase outstanding contemporary choreography by Evans, Figgins and Sarah Mettin, recently- appointed Artistic Associate of Metropolitan. This exciting evening with accessible ticket prices is a great way for people of all ages to enjoy the thrill of a dynamic, live performance.”
Metropolitan Ballet Company will present contemporary dances, classical works, and host guest artists from The Washington Ballet’s Professional Training Division for Variations/Collaborations at 7:00 pm on Saturday, March 28, 2020, at Kurtz Center, William Penn Charter School, 3000 West School House Lane, Philadelphia. Tickets for the highly anticipated evening of dance and music are $20 in advance or $25 at the door; purchase tickets at www.metropolitanballetcompany.org.
The Washington Ballet, under the direction of Julie Kent, former Principal of American Ballet Theatre, is one of the premier ballet companies on the East Coast. Its Professional Training Division dancers are under the direction of Xiomara Reyes (also a former ABT Principal).
Metropolitan Ballet will perform contemporary ballet works by three innovative choreographers. Sarah Mettin’s ensemble piece is set to music by Philip Glass; Tommie-Waheed Evans’ work for 3 men and 3 women has music by emptyset and Jenelle Figgins’ neo classical work, on pointe for 9 women, will be accompanied by live music: an Arensky piano trio performed by John Silva (piano), with Sabrina Tabby (violin), and Genevieve Tabby (cello). The Tabbys, twin sisters from Philadelphia, are part of the renowned ATLYS quartet. As Settlement Musical School students, the Tabbys performed in some of Metropolitan’s earliest Variations/Collaborations concerts in 2005 and 2006.
The Washington School of Ballet’s Professional Training Division dancers will perform RIGHTS?, a contemporary ballet by Italian choreographer Mimmo Miccolis, whose highly charged work often focuses on social issues. RIGHTS? was originally funded by the BBC Performing Arts Fund. The Washington dancers will also perform two classical works: Diana and Acteon Divertissement and Mikhail Fokine’s Ruslan and Lyudmila.
Saturday, March 28, 2020
Kurtz Center, William Penn Charter School, 3000 West School House Lane, Philadelphia
***Photo credit: Eduardo Patino NYC
- Jeanine Durning Teaches two workshops in Philadelphia – POSTPONED - March 10, 2020
- Bill T. Jones, Deep Blue Sea is coming to the Mann, May 8-9 - March 2, 2020
- Philadelphia Dance Projects Presents A Provocative Evening of Screendance and Live Dance – POSTPONED - February 28, 2020
- Metropolitan Ballet’s 2020 Variations/Collaborations, POSTPONED - February 26, 2020
- jumatatu m. poe receives 2020 Creative Capital Award - February 18, 2020
- Roger Lee Dance Company’s Spring Concert Series – Music – POSTPONED - February 17, 2020
- Foreign Tongues by Liquid Loft, March 11-12 - February 12, 2020
- Ballet Folclórico Nacional de México de SILVIA LOZANO, March 12 - February 12, 2020
- BalletX Presents Spring Series 2020, March 18 – 29 – POSTPONED - February 11, 2020
- 5th Annual Opine Dance Film Festival – POSTPONED - February 11, 2020