The Kimmel Center presents Austrian dance company, Liquid Loft, in a US premiere performance featuring the voices of Philadelphians. Foreign Tongues puts speech and communication at the center of their choreography to reflect the city’s personality. Recorded interviews and personal conversations with Philadelphians become the “musical” backbone as the dancers translate tone, sound, dynamics, and intonation into movement. Beginning in the Kimmel Center’s Commonwealth Plaza, the performance draws audiences through the space and ultimately into the Perelman Theater for a unique and immersive experience.
This world premiere is made possible through the Kimmel Center Cultural Campus’ exclusive membership in In Situ – a network of European presenters specializing in art in public spaces. The Kimmel Center is the only U.S. member, and the affiliation allows the Kimmel Center to bring unique European performances to Philadelphia.
Vision of the Artists
The questions of how we use language, how a given statement is interpreted by another, are at the center of this performance; for the city as a living-space, constantly generates new expressions, jargons and phonemic variations.
But what is the specific sound of a certain meaning? How does its embodiment look? The languages sampled in Foreign Tongues are, even before they have meaning, fundamentally sound and rhythm, ambivalent islands of sound. Dialects, regional languages and slangs get transformed into sequences of movement. What initially may seem like a tangle of languages, is turned, via the bodily adaptation in space, into a form of communication which far surpasses its linguistic content.
Dance, Choreography (Philadelphia Version): Luke Baio, Stephanie Cumming, Dong Uk Kim, Katharina Meves, Dante Murillo, Arttu Palmio, Hannah Timbrell
Artistic Direction, Choreography: Chris Haring
Composition, Sound: Andreas Berger
Light Design, Scenography: Thomas Jelinek
Costumes: Stefan Röhrle
Libretto: Aldo Giannotti
Program Texts: Stefan Grissemann, Uwe Mattheiss
Stage Management: Roman Harrer
Photo- and Video Documentation: Michael Loizenbauer
Distribution: APROPIC – Line Rousseau, Marion Gauvent
Company Management, Produktion: Marlies Pucher
Co-produced by: Atelier 231 (FR), Festival di Terni (IT), Freedom Festival (UK), La Strada Graz (AT), Lieux publics (FR), Norfolk & Norwich Festival (UK), Østfold kulturutvikling (NO), Oerol Festival (NL), Theater op de Markt (BE) and UZ Arts (UK).
Research-Partners: CDC Toulouse (FR), Dublin Dance Festival (IR), Tanz.Ist Dornbirn (AT), Opera Estate Festival Bassano del Grappa (I), DansBrabant (NL).
Foreign Tongues, an IN SITU Pilot project, has received a creation aid under the ACT project, co-funded by the Creative Europe Programme of the European Union
Liquid Loft is supported by: MA7 Kulturabteilung der Stadt Wien (Cultural Department of the City of Vienna) and BKA Bundeskanzleramt Kunst & Kultur (Austrian Federal Chancellery Arts & Culture)
Foreign Tongues is an IN SITU pilot project
Foreign Tongues by Liquid Loft
March 11 & 12, 2020 at 8:00pm
Perelman Theater. 300 S Broad St, Philadelphia, PA 1910
Tickets $29 online at
- Roger Lee Dance Company’s Spring Concert Series – Music, March 27-28 - February 17, 2020
- Foreign Tongues by Liquid Loft, March 11-12 - February 12, 2020
- Ballet Folclórico Nacional de México de SILVIA LOZANO, March 12 - February 12, 2020
- 5th Annual Opine Dance Film Festival, March 20 & 21 - February 11, 2020
- Philadelphia Dance Projects’ DANCE UP CLOSE – Mazarick & Ramirez - January 28, 2020
- The Annenberg Center Presents the Philadelphia Debut of Ephrat Asherie, February 7-8 - January 22, 2020
- The Annenberg Center Presents Paul Taylor Dance Company, January 24-25 - January 17, 2020
- A multi-generational cast of women come together in HOMEbody, Feb 22 - January 10, 2020
- Cunningham opens in Philadelphia - January 9, 2020
- Soledad Barrio & Noche Flamenca Return to Philadelphia, Jan 15 – Feb 2 - January 9, 2020