Ephrat Asherie, a “bona fide b-girl” (The Boston Globe), brings her street and social dance company to Philadelphia for the first time, presented by the Annenberg Center, to perform Odeon, a high-octane, full-length work set to the music of composer Ernesto Nazareth, played live. A recent Bessie and Dance Magazine award winner, Asherie layers breaking, hip hop, house, and vogue to a rich score melding classical Romantic music with Afro-Brazilian rhythms. Performances are Friday, February 7 (8 PM) and Saturday, February 8 (2 PM and 8 PM). In addition to the three public performances of Odeon, Ephrat Asherie Dance will perform a Student Discovery show for schoolchildren on Friday, February 7 at 10:30 AM. Visit AnnenbergCenter.org for tickets.
Ephrat Asherie Dance (EAD) is a dance company rooted in street and social dance. Dedicated to revealing the inherent complexities of these forms, EAD explores the expansive narrative qualities of various street and club styles including breaking, hip hop, house and vogue as means to tell stories, develop innovative imagery and find new modes of expression. EAD’s first evening-length work, A Single Ride, earned two Bessie nominations in 2013 for Outstanding Emerging Choreographer and Outstanding Sound Design by Marty Beller. The company has presented work at The Apollo Theater, Columbia College, Dixon Place, FiraTarrega, Guggenheim Works & Process, Jacob’s Pillow Dance Festival, La MaMa, River to River Festival, New York Live Arts, Summerstage and The Yard, among others.
Company dancers appearing in these performances at the Annenberg Center are Ephrat “Bounce” Asherie, Manon Bal, Teena Marie Custer, Valerie “Ms. Vee” Ho, Matthew “Megawatt” West, and Omari Wiles. Musicians appearing are Ehud Asherie, Eduardo Belo, Sergio Krakowski, and Ranjan Ramchandani.
Ephrat Asherie Dance
Friday, February 7, 8 PM
Saturday, February 8, 2 PM
Saturday, February 8, 8 PM
Annenberg Center for the Performing Arts Visit AnnenbergCenter.org for ticket information.
- The Lady Hoofers Tap Ensemble Spreads Joy Remotely During Pandemic - March 24, 2020
- ARTIST HOUSE / Asya Zlatina + Dancers present CARRY ON, Virtually April 2 at 12:30 pm - March 23, 2020
- Jeanine Durning Teaches two workshops in Philadelphia – POSTPONED - March 10, 2020
- Bill T. Jones, Deep Blue Sea is coming to the Mann, May 8-9 - March 2, 2020
- Philadelphia Dance Projects Presents A Provocative Evening of Screendance and Live Dance – POSTPONED - February 28, 2020
- Metropolitan Ballet’s 2020 Variations/Collaborations, POSTPONED - February 26, 2020
- jumatatu m. poe receives 2020 Creative Capital Award - February 18, 2020
- Roger Lee Dance Company’s Spring Concert Series – Music – POSTPONED - February 17, 2020
- Foreign Tongues by Liquid Loft, March 11-12 - February 12, 2020
- Ballet Folclórico Nacional de México de SILVIA LOZANO, March 12 - February 12, 2020