Paul Taylor Dance Company returns to Philadelphia to celebrate the extraordinary legacy of dance icon Paul Taylor, presented by the Annenberg Center, Friday, January 24 (8 PM), and Saturday, January 25 (2 and 8 PM). In honor of Taylor’s wide-ranging and expressive repertoire, “one of the most exciting, innovative, and delightful dance companies in the entire world” (The New York Times) will perform a program of his masterpieces, including Syzygy, Sunset and Piazzolla Caldera. Visit AnnenbergCenter.org for tickets.
Paul Taylor Dance Company has traveled the globe many times over, bringing Taylor’s ever-burgeoning repertoire to theatres and venues of every size and description in cultural capitals, on college campuses, in rural communities, and often to places where modern dance had never been seen before. The Taylor Company has performed in more than 500 cities in 64 countries, representing the U.S. at arts festivals in more than 40 countries and touring extensively under the aegis of the U.S. Department of State. In 1997, the company toured throughout India in celebration of that nation’s 50th anniversary. Its 1999 engagement in Chile was named the Best International Dance Event of 1999 by the country’s Art Critics’ Circle. In the summer of 2001, the company toured in the People’s Republic of China and performed in six cities, four of which had never seen American modern dance before. In the spring of 2003, the company mounted an award-winning four-week, seven-city tour of the United Kingdom. The company’s performances in China in 2018 marked its sixth tour there. The company regularly tours throughout North America, South America, Asia and Europe.
While continuing to garner international acclaim, the Paul Taylor Dance Company performs more than half of each touring season in cities throughout the U.S. In celebration of the company’s 50th anniversary and 50 years of creativity, the Taylor Foundation presented Taylor’s works in all 50 states between March 2004 and November 2005. That tour underscored the Taylor Company’s historic role as one of the early touring companies of American modern dance.
Beginning with its first television appearance for the Dance in America series in 1978, the Paul Taylor Dance Company has appeared on PBS in ten different programs, including the 1992 Emmy® Award-winning Speaking in Tongues and The Wrecker’s Ball, including Company B, Funny Papers and A Field of Grass, which was nominated for an Emmy® Award in 1997. In 1999, the PBS American Masters series aired Dancemaker, the Academy® Award nominated documentary about Taylor and his company. In 2013, PBS aired Paul Taylor Dance Company in Paris, featuring Brandenburgs and Beloved Renegade.
Company dancers appearing in the performances at the Annenberg Center are Maria Ambrose, Michael Apuzzo, Lisa Borres, Eran Bugge, Alex Clayton, Adam Dickerson, Kristin Draucker, Lee Duveneck, John Harnage, Madelyn Ho, Shawn Lesniak, Devon Louis, Christina Lynch Markham, Heather McGinley, Jada Pearman, and George Smallwood.
Paul Taylor Dance Company
Friday, January 24, 8 PM
Saturday, January 25, 2 PM
Saturday, January 25, 8 PM
Annenberg Center for the Performing Arts
Visit AnnenbergCenter.org for ticket information.
- Philadelphia Dance Projects Presents A Provocative Evening of Screendance and Live Dance, March 18-19 - February 28, 2020
- BalletX Presents Spring Series 2020, March 18 – 29 - February 28, 2020
- Metropolitan Ballet’s 2020 Variations/Collaborations, March 28 - February 26, 2020
- jumatatu m. poe receives 2020 Creative Capital Award - February 18, 2020
- Roger Lee Dance Company’s Spring Concert Series – Music, March 27-28 - February 17, 2020
- Foreign Tongues by Liquid Loft, March 11-12 - February 12, 2020
- Ballet Folclórico Nacional de México de SILVIA LOZANO, March 12 - February 12, 2020
- 5th Annual Opine Dance Film Festival, March 20 & 21 - February 11, 2020
- Philadelphia Dance Projects’ DANCE UP CLOSE – Mazarick & Ramirez - January 28, 2020
- The Annenberg Center Presents the Philadelphia Debut of Ephrat Asherie, February 7-8 - January 22, 2020