Jessica Warchal-King is excited to return to KYL/D’s CHI Movement Arts Center with an evening of her own work. A long time dance artist and administrator with Kun-Yang Lin/ Dancers (KYL/D), the CHI Movement Arts Center holds a sense of home for Warchal-King.
The event includes Warchal-King’s “Shed,” a solo described as “absolutely mesmerizing… intense” by The Reading Eagle.
A multi-generational cast of women directed by Warchal-King will perform “HOMEbody,” a 35 minute contemporary dance with original music by Paul Fejko. In process, the artists investigated definitions of home as structure, home as physical body, home as geographical place from which we leave and return, and home as states of rejection and acceptance. Filmmaker Jake Buczewski’s mini-documentary about the creative research makes its Philadelphia premier. Performers include Laura Baehr, Erin Coffey, Sarena Kabakoff, Kyleigh Kover, and Warchal-King.
Described as “beautiful and thought provoking,” the evening invites audiences to find joy, acceptance, and connection to their own experiences of home.
JCWK Dance Lab is Warchal-King’s ongoing research project combining education, physical dance practice, and performance. Using dance as its medium, JCWK Dance Lab investigates the ways that dance can be a vehicle for non-violent, positive social change by creating Joy, Connection, and Wellness through Kinesthetic stories.
HOMEbody travels to Philadelphia with the support of the Philadelphia Cultural Fund through the PPA Project Stream Grant. HOMEbody is supported in part by the Pennsylvania Council on the Arts, a state agency funded by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and the National Endowment for the Arts, a federal agency.
Additional support has been provided by Widener University’s Visual and Performing Arts Department and Summer Undergraduate Research and Creative Activities Program, the Arts at Alvernia University, and individual donors.
- Boyer College of Music and Dance presents: Altered Tastes An MFA Thesis Concert by Megan Bridge & Rachel DeForrest Repinz, Nov 6 - October 22, 2020
- BalletX World Premiere Event Will Feature Three Short Films by Robbie Fairchild, Amy Hall Garner, Mariana Oliveira, Nov 18 - October 22, 2020
- Bryn Mawr College Dance Program presents The Porch: A Studio Dialogue with Nia Love and Fred Moten, Nov 12 - October 21, 2020
- Artist Chats with Roni Koresh: Creativity in Times of COVID - October 19, 2020
- PDP’s online Informances continue with Dr. Lynn Matluck Brooks, Oct 28 - October 14, 2020
- The Annenberg Center Presents the Philadelphia Debut of Pam Tanowitz Dance, Livestreamed Thursday, October 15 - October 8, 2020
- KYL/D’s Inhale Performance Series Takes On A New Format, Oct 24 - October 1, 2020
- Founder of Community Bollywood Dance Project takes on a new role as Program Director of Dancing Classrooms Philly - September 24, 2020
- Philadelphia’s Rennie Harris Receives 2020 Doris Duke Artist Award - September 17, 2020
- Choreographer, Tommie-Waheed Evans to be featured in PDP’s Informance, Oct 14th - September 14, 2020