Jessica Warchal-King is excited to return to KYL/D’s CHI Movement Arts Center with an evening of her own work. A long time dance artist and administrator with Kun-Yang Lin/ Dancers (KYL/D), the CHI Movement Arts Center holds a sense of home for Warchal-King.
The event includes Warchal-King’s “Shed,” a solo described as “absolutely mesmerizing… intense” by The Reading Eagle.
A multi-generational cast of women directed by Warchal-King will perform “HOMEbody,” a 35 minute contemporary dance with original music by Paul Fejko. In process, the artists investigated definitions of home as structure, home as physical body, home as geographical place from which we leave and return, and home as states of rejection and acceptance. Filmmaker Jake Buczewski’s mini-documentary about the creative research makes its Philadelphia premier. Performers include Laura Baehr, Erin Coffey, Sarena Kabakoff, Kyleigh Kover, and Warchal-King.
Described as “beautiful and thought provoking,” the evening invites audiences to find joy, acceptance, and connection to their own experiences of home.
JCWK Dance Lab is Warchal-King’s ongoing research project combining education, physical dance practice, and performance. Using dance as its medium, JCWK Dance Lab investigates the ways that dance can be a vehicle for non-violent, positive social change by creating Joy, Connection, and Wellness through Kinesthetic stories.
HOMEbody travels to Philadelphia with the support of the Philadelphia Cultural Fund through the PPA Project Stream Grant. HOMEbody is supported in part by the Pennsylvania Council on the Arts, a state agency funded by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and the National Endowment for the Arts, a federal agency.
Additional support has been provided by Widener University’s Visual and Performing Arts Department and Summer Undergraduate Research and Creative Activities Program, the Arts at Alvernia University, and individual donors.
- The Lady Hoofers Tap Ensemble Spreads Joy Remotely During Pandemic - March 24, 2020
- ARTIST HOUSE / Asya Zlatina + Dancers present CARRY ON, Virtually April 2 at 12:30 pm - March 23, 2020
- Jeanine Durning Teaches two workshops in Philadelphia – POSTPONED - March 10, 2020
- Bill T. Jones, Deep Blue Sea is coming to the Mann, May 8-9 - March 2, 2020
- Philadelphia Dance Projects Presents A Provocative Evening of Screendance and Live Dance – POSTPONED - February 28, 2020
- Metropolitan Ballet’s 2020 Variations/Collaborations, POSTPONED - February 26, 2020
- jumatatu m. poe receives 2020 Creative Capital Award - February 18, 2020
- Roger Lee Dance Company’s Spring Concert Series – Music – POSTPONED - February 17, 2020
- Foreign Tongues by Liquid Loft, March 11-12 - February 12, 2020
- Ballet Folclórico Nacional de México de SILVIA LOZANO, March 12 - February 12, 2020