Magnolia Pictures announced today that CUNNINGHAM, director Alla Kovgan’s immersive documentary on one of the world’s most influential and groundbreaking choreographers, will open at the Ritz 5 Theater in Philadelphia this Friday, January 3rd. Magnolia will open the film throughout the country in both 2D and 3D this month, while Dogwoof will release in the UK, Sophie Dulac Distribution in France, and Camino Films in Germany.
CUNNINGHAM traces Merce’s artistic evolution over three decades of risk and discovery (1944–1972), from his early years as a struggling dancer in postwar New York to his emergence as one of the world’s most visionary choreographers. The 3D technology weaves together Merce’s philosophies and stories, creating a visceral journey into his innovative work. A breathtaking explosion of dance, music, and never-before-seen archival material, CUNNINGHAM is a timely tribute to one of the world’s greatest modern dance artists.
“Alla Kovgan’s stunning cinematic tribute to the genius of Merce Cunningham is destined to end up as a classic of the genre,” said Magnolia President Eamonn Bowles. “We’re thrilled to be bringing it to the public.”
“In 2012, I remember picking up my director of photography Mko Malkhasyan and driving down to see the Cunningham event at the Philadelphia Museum of Art where the exhibition “Dancing around the Bride: Cage, Cunningham, Johns, Rauschenberg, and Duchamp” just opened,” said director Alla Kovgan. “We spent hours at the museum and then wandered the streets in Philadelphia brainstorming ideas about a CUNNINGHAM film. This trip signified the beginning of our journey. So it is very moving and humbling to come full circle and share the finished film with Philadelphia audiences.”
Written and directed by Alla Kovgan, CUNNINGHAM is produced by Helge Albers, Ilann Girard, Alla Kovgan, Elizabeth Delude-Dix, Kelly Gilpatrick and Derrick Tseng for Achtung Panda! Media GmbH, Arsam International and Chance Operations in association with DocWorks and Bord Cadre Films, with the participation of La Maison and CowProd. Major funding provided by Arte/BR.
For dates and showtimes: https://www.landmarktheatres.com/philadelphia
- Jeanine Durning Teaches two workshops in Philadelphia – POSTPONED - March 10, 2020
- Bill T. Jones, Deep Blue Sea is coming to the Mann, May 8-9 - March 2, 2020
- Philadelphia Dance Projects Presents A Provocative Evening of Screendance and Live Dance – POSTPONED - February 28, 2020
- Metropolitan Ballet’s 2020 Variations/Collaborations, POSTPONED - February 26, 2020
- jumatatu m. poe receives 2020 Creative Capital Award - February 18, 2020
- Roger Lee Dance Company’s Spring Concert Series – Music – POSTPONED - February 17, 2020
- Foreign Tongues by Liquid Loft, March 11-12 - February 12, 2020
- Ballet Folclórico Nacional de México de SILVIA LOZANO, March 12 - February 12, 2020
- BalletX Presents Spring Series 2020, March 18 – 29 – POSTPONED - February 11, 2020
- 5th Annual Opine Dance Film Festival – POSTPONED - February 11, 2020