Magnolia Pictures announced today that CUNNINGHAM, director Alla Kovgan’s immersive documentary on one of the world’s most influential and groundbreaking choreographers, will open at the Ritz 5 Theater in Philadelphia this Friday, January 3rd. Magnolia will open the film throughout the country in both 2D and 3D this month, while Dogwoof will release in the UK, Sophie Dulac Distribution in France, and Camino Films in Germany.
CUNNINGHAM traces Merce’s artistic evolution over three decades of risk and discovery (1944–1972), from his early years as a struggling dancer in postwar New York to his emergence as one of the world’s most visionary choreographers. The 3D technology weaves together Merce’s philosophies and stories, creating a visceral journey into his innovative work. A breathtaking explosion of dance, music, and never-before-seen archival material, CUNNINGHAM is a timely tribute to one of the world’s greatest modern dance artists.
“Alla Kovgan’s stunning cinematic tribute to the genius of Merce Cunningham is destined to end up as a classic of the genre,” said Magnolia President Eamonn Bowles. “We’re thrilled to be bringing it to the public.”
“In 2012, I remember picking up my director of photography Mko Malkhasyan and driving down to see the Cunningham event at the Philadelphia Museum of Art where the exhibition “Dancing around the Bride: Cage, Cunningham, Johns, Rauschenberg, and Duchamp” just opened,” said director Alla Kovgan. “We spent hours at the museum and then wandered the streets in Philadelphia brainstorming ideas about a CUNNINGHAM film. This trip signified the beginning of our journey. So it is very moving and humbling to come full circle and share the finished film with Philadelphia audiences.”
Written and directed by Alla Kovgan, CUNNINGHAM is produced by Helge Albers, Ilann Girard, Alla Kovgan, Elizabeth Delude-Dix, Kelly Gilpatrick and Derrick Tseng for Achtung Panda! Media GmbH, Arsam International and Chance Operations in association with DocWorks and Bord Cadre Films, with the participation of La Maison and CowProd. Major funding provided by Arte/BR.
For dates and showtimes: https://www.landmarktheatres.com/philadelphia
- Christina Castro-Tauser named executive director of International Ballet Exchange - July 7, 2020
- Koresh Continues Its Weekend Streaming Performance Series June 26-July 13 - June 23, 2020
- Fidget Participates in Inaugural Residency with Under Construction Arts - June 19, 2020
- BalletX Welcomes New Dance Fellow Shawn Cusseaux - June 17, 2020
- The Performance Garage Announces The 2020/21 DanceVisions’ Resident Artist, Joe González - June 15, 2020
- Roni Koresh short film series: HIDE YOUR FACE/UNMASK YOUR HEART, June 12-14 - June 12, 2020
- BalletX to Premiere Four Short Dance Films by Choreographers Hope Boykin, Rena Butler, Caili Quan, and Penny Saunders, June 14 - June 12, 2020
- Movers and Makers: Philadanco Turns 50, June 18 - June 10, 2020
- BalletX Spring and Summer Series 2020 Canceled - May 27, 2020
- Ballet, movement, imagination, and more with ZoomDance - May 18, 2020