Magnolia Pictures announced today that CUNNINGHAM, director Alla Kovgan’s immersive documentary on one of the world’s most influential and groundbreaking choreographers, will open at the Ritz 5 Theater in Philadelphia this Friday, January 3rd. Magnolia will open the film throughout the country in both 2D and 3D this month, while Dogwoof will release in the UK, Sophie Dulac Distribution in France, and Camino Films in Germany.
CUNNINGHAM traces Merce’s artistic evolution over three decades of risk and discovery (1944–1972), from his early years as a struggling dancer in postwar New York to his emergence as one of the world’s most visionary choreographers. The 3D technology weaves together Merce’s philosophies and stories, creating a visceral journey into his innovative work. A breathtaking explosion of dance, music, and never-before-seen archival material, CUNNINGHAM is a timely tribute to one of the world’s greatest modern dance artists.
“Alla Kovgan’s stunning cinematic tribute to the genius of Merce Cunningham is destined to end up as a classic of the genre,” said Magnolia President Eamonn Bowles. “We’re thrilled to be bringing it to the public.”
“In 2012, I remember picking up my director of photography Mko Malkhasyan and driving down to see the Cunningham event at the Philadelphia Museum of Art where the exhibition “Dancing around the Bride: Cage, Cunningham, Johns, Rauschenberg, and Duchamp” just opened,” said director Alla Kovgan. “We spent hours at the museum and then wandered the streets in Philadelphia brainstorming ideas about a CUNNINGHAM film. This trip signified the beginning of our journey. So it is very moving and humbling to come full circle and share the finished film with Philadelphia audiences.”
Written and directed by Alla Kovgan, CUNNINGHAM is produced by Helge Albers, Ilann Girard, Alla Kovgan, Elizabeth Delude-Dix, Kelly Gilpatrick and Derrick Tseng for Achtung Panda! Media GmbH, Arsam International and Chance Operations in association with DocWorks and Bord Cadre Films, with the participation of La Maison and CowProd. Major funding provided by Arte/BR.
For dates and showtimes: https://www.landmarktheatres.com/philadelphia
- The Annenberg Center Presents the Philadelphia Debut of Ephrat Asherie, February 7-8 - January 22, 2020
- The Annenberg Center Presents Paul Taylor Dance Company, January 24-25 - January 17, 2020
- BeijingDance/LDTX premieres at Drexel, Feb. 14 & 15 - January 13, 2020
- A multi-generational cast of women come together in HOMEbody, Feb 22 - January 10, 2020
- Cunningham opens in Philadelphia - January 9, 2020
- Soledad Barrio & Noche Flamenca Return to Philadelphia, Jan 15 – Feb 2 - January 9, 2020
- Nickerson-Rossi Dance offers a Performance and Educational Dance Series, Jan 17-19 - December 31, 2019
- The International Association of Blacks in Dance (IABD) comes to Philadelphia, Jan 14-19 - December 20, 2019
- Philadelphia Dance Projects (PDP) presents DANCE UP CLOSE, Jan 22-23 & Feb 26-27 - December 19, 2019
- The Annenberg Center Presents PHILADANCO’s Xmas Philes, Dec. 12-14 - December 5, 2019