Nickerson-Rossi Dance (NRD) presents a performance and educational series in Philadelphia, January 17th – 19th, 2020 at The Performance Garage, 1515 Brandywine St, Philadelphia.
The series kicks off Friday, January 17th at 5pm with “Merde!” The Dance Makers Moment. With hundreds of applications from tri-state professional dance companies and choreographers, seven finalists were selected to compete for the audience’s vote to be the top pick of the night. The top artist will be commissioned to perform in NRD’s original program Palm Springs International Dance Festival 2021. Companies competing include 10 Hairy Legs, Ariel Rivka Dance Company, Yu.S. Artistry, Roxy Contemporary Ballet, Tristian Griffin Dance Company, Makens Move and the only Philadelphia based artist, Ann Corrao.
Saturday, January 18th at 7pm is NRD’s curated concert of professional dance. Companies and choreographers to be presented include Stephen Agisilaou of Vertical Shadows from Australia, Solo Artist Christian Denice from Chicago, and of course Michael Nickerson-Rossi Dance. The program will also feature performances by Pennsylvania Ballet II, Catherine Cabeen – HYPHEN, and 10 Hairy Legs.
Sunday, January 19th closes the series with the Education / Cultivation Student Showcase with a matinee at 4pm and evening performance at 6:30pm. Through this series, NRD provides a platform for pre-professional emerging talents.
All three days also include a comprehensive educational series including 10 master classes for dancers in high school, college, and professionals that are seeking network and continue their dance training. Instructors include professors at universities, like Vincent Thomas of Towson University and Danah Bella at the Peabody Institute of Johns Hopkins University, to Artistic Directors of dance companies like Nickerson-Rossi Dance’s Michael Nickerson-Rossi and Australian based artist Stephen Agisilaou of Vertical Shadows. NRD has offered programming and impacted over 3,400 students since 2013.
Information and tickets for all events are available online at https://www.nickersonrossidance.com/philadelphia
- Boyer College of Music and Dance presents: Altered Tastes An MFA Thesis Concert by Megan Bridge & Rachel DeForrest Repinz, Nov 6 - October 22, 2020
- BalletX World Premiere Event Will Feature Three Short Films by Robbie Fairchild, Amy Hall Garner, Mariana Oliveira, Nov 18 - October 22, 2020
- Bryn Mawr College Dance Program presents The Porch: A Studio Dialogue with Nia Love and Fred Moten, Nov 12 - October 21, 2020
- Artist Chats with Roni Koresh: Creativity in Times of COVID - October 19, 2020
- PDP’s online Informances continue with Dr. Lynn Matluck Brooks, Oct 28 - October 14, 2020
- The Annenberg Center Presents the Philadelphia Debut of Pam Tanowitz Dance, Livestreamed Thursday, October 15 - October 8, 2020
- KYL/D’s Inhale Performance Series Takes On A New Format, Oct 24 - October 1, 2020
- Founder of Community Bollywood Dance Project takes on a new role as Program Director of Dancing Classrooms Philly - September 24, 2020
- Philadelphia’s Rennie Harris Receives 2020 Doris Duke Artist Award - September 17, 2020
- Choreographer, Tommie-Waheed Evans to be featured in PDP’s Informance, Oct 14th - September 14, 2020