On December 7th at 8 pm and December 8th at Noon, Philly Kerplop will present Blaow! Cosmos? at FringeArts, 140 N Christopher Columbus Blvd, Philadelphia. Blaow! Cosmos? is a theatrical wormhole. Two dancers are ripped in and out of interdimensional vortexes, landing in various alternate realities where they are split between their identities as performers and alien alter-egos. Postmodern dance vignettes intertwine with parody, code-switching, poetry, and general freakiness. The chaos gives rise to a survey of dance modalities offered by performers William Robinson and Nikolai McKenzie. Matt Engle plays original compositions that feature upright bass, loop pedals, and a sample machine. The performers interact with objects made by multimedia artist Paige Fetchen.
Led by Vince Johnson (Artistic Director) and Francois Zayaz (Musical Director) Philly Kerplop is rooted in hip hop with a reverence for various diaspora traditions, celebrating an interactive relationship between dancer and musician. Philly Kerplop uses folkloric storytelling methods, busting through the fourth wall to engage the audience and inspire a more curious public.
Vince Johnson is a Philadelphia based teaching artist and founding director of Philly Kerplop, Movemakers Philly, and Urban Movement Arts. He is an alumnus of Rennie Harris Puremovement and internationally accomplished martial artist. Hip hop dance and martial arts have been his primary disciplines since childhood. He has also studied physical theater, clown, percussion and has worked in various art sectors. Collaboration with visual artists and musicians is a staple in his work and thereby a continuing source of education. Johnson was a 2017 MANCC Forward Dialogues Choreographic Lab Recipient.
Blaow! Cosmos? by Philly Kerplop
Dec 7 at 8 pm | Dec 8 at noon
Fringe Arts 140 N Christopher Columbus Blvd, Philadelphia, PA 19106
More info at www.phillykerplop.com
- Jeanine Durning Teaches two workshops in Philadelphia – POSTPONED - March 10, 2020
- Bill T. Jones, Deep Blue Sea is coming to the Mann, May 8-9 - March 2, 2020
- Philadelphia Dance Projects Presents A Provocative Evening of Screendance and Live Dance – POSTPONED - February 28, 2020
- Metropolitan Ballet’s 2020 Variations/Collaborations, POSTPONED - February 26, 2020
- jumatatu m. poe receives 2020 Creative Capital Award - February 18, 2020
- Roger Lee Dance Company’s Spring Concert Series – Music – POSTPONED - February 17, 2020
- Foreign Tongues by Liquid Loft, March 11-12 - February 12, 2020
- Ballet Folclórico Nacional de México de SILVIA LOZANO, March 12 - February 12, 2020
- BalletX Presents Spring Series 2020, March 18 – 29 – POSTPONED - February 11, 2020
- 5th Annual Opine Dance Film Festival – POSTPONED - February 11, 2020