On December 7th at 8 pm and December 8th at Noon, Philly Kerplop will present Blaow! Cosmos? at FringeArts, 140 N Christopher Columbus Blvd, Philadelphia. Blaow! Cosmos? is a theatrical wormhole. Two dancers are ripped in and out of interdimensional vortexes, landing in various alternate realities where they are split between their identities as performers and alien alter-egos. Postmodern dance vignettes intertwine with parody, code-switching, poetry, and general freakiness. The chaos gives rise to a survey of dance modalities offered by performers William Robinson and Nikolai McKenzie. Matt Engle plays original compositions that feature upright bass, loop pedals, and a sample machine. The performers interact with objects made by multimedia artist Paige Fetchen.
Led by Vince Johnson (Artistic Director) and Francois Zayaz (Musical Director) Philly Kerplop is rooted in hip hop with a reverence for various diaspora traditions, celebrating an interactive relationship between dancer and musician. Philly Kerplop uses folkloric storytelling methods, busting through the fourth wall to engage the audience and inspire a more curious public.
Vince Johnson is a Philadelphia based teaching artist and founding director of Philly Kerplop, Movemakers Philly, and Urban Movement Arts. He is an alumnus of Rennie Harris Puremovement and internationally accomplished martial artist. Hip hop dance and martial arts have been his primary disciplines since childhood. He has also studied physical theater, clown, percussion and has worked in various art sectors. Collaboration with visual artists and musicians is a staple in his work and thereby a continuing source of education. Johnson was a 2017 MANCC Forward Dialogues Choreographic Lab Recipient.
Blaow! Cosmos? by Philly Kerplop
Dec 7 at 8 pm | Dec 8 at noon
Fringe Arts 140 N Christopher Columbus Blvd, Philadelphia, PA 19106
More info at www.phillykerplop.com
- The Annenberg Center Present Paul Taylor Dance Company, January 24-25 - January 17, 2020
- BeijingDance/LDTX premieres at Drexel, Feb. 14 & 15 - January 13, 2020
- A multi-generational cast of women come together in HOMEbody, Feb 22 - January 10, 2020
- Cunningham opens in Philadelphia - January 9, 2020
- Nickerson-Rossi Dance offers a Performance and Educational Dance Series, Jan 17-19 - December 31, 2019
- The International Association of Blacks in Dance (IABD) comes to Philadelphia, Jan 14-19 - December 20, 2019
- Soledad Barrio & Noche Flamenca Return to Philadelphia, Jan 15 – Feb 2 - December 19, 2019
- Philadelphia Dance Projects (PDP) presents DANCE UP CLOSE, Jan 22-23 & Feb 26-27 - December 19, 2019
- The Annenberg Center Presents PHILADANCO’s Xmas Philes, Dec. 12-14 - December 5, 2019
- George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker® Returns to Pennsylvania Ballet, Dec 6-31 - November 27, 2019