The Lady Hoofers Tap Ensemble is proud to present its third annual production of THE TAPCRACKER, an original all-tap, all-women version of the holiday classic. Due to audience demand, this year will include an additional Sunday matinee with performances taking place on Saturday, December 14 at 2:00pm and 7:00pm and Sunday, December 15 at 3:00pm at the Suzanne Roberts Theatre, where the Ensemble will now present all their mainstage concerts.
“We are so excited take our partnership with the Suzanne Roberts Theatre to the next level,” says Managing Director Katie Budris, “and to establish a permanent home for tap on Broad Street.” Since its inception in 2017, THE TAPCRACKER has sold out weeks in advance and the company expects another record-breaking year.
Set to the music of both Tchaikovsky and Duke Ellington, THE TAPCRACKER transports audiences to Paris, where an infestation of rats has thrown the city into chaos. Toy soldiers guard the Eiffel Tower, mice wreak havoc in the Metro, and frazzled chefs prepare for a feast at the magical palace of Versailles, featuring characters from the beloved Land of the Sweets. This year’s production stars audience favorites Britney Kennedy as the Queen of Versailles and Tamera Dallam as the Fairy Tapmother, in addition to Youth Ensemble dancers Kennedy Barnes as the Tapcracker, Mia Valeriote as the Mouse Queen, and Emily Bartholf as Clara.
“Emily really amazed us at auditions this year,” recalls Artistic Director Kat Richter, “and we’ve reimagined the role of Clara to highlight the clarity of her footwork.” In real life, Bartholf is one of Dallam’s students and the two have a natural chemistry on stage together, especially in the first act’s show-stopping dinner table number, “Bon Appetit.”
The 90-minute, family-friendly concert will feature a talented cast of 29 dancers from the ensemble’s First Company, Apprentice Company, and Youth Ensemble. Refreshments will be available for purchase in the lobby in addition to hot chocolate for the matinees and wine and beer for the evening show.
The Lady Hoofers Tap Ensemble produces original works of choreography while preserving the tradition of improvisation in American rhythm tap, bringing innovative percussive dance to diverse audiences. Founded in 2011, the Philadelphia-based, all-women ensemble is led by Kat Richter, Founder and Artistic Director, and Katie Budris, Managing Director. Through choreographic commissions, a bi-annual concert series including THE TAPCRACKER and ON TAP, free community performances, and arts education programming, the ensemble centers the work of women artists and contributes to the revitalization of Philadelphia’s rich tap history by challenging the public’s perception of percussive dance. Support for The Lady Hoofers provided in part by The Philadelphia Cultural Fund and the Pennsylvania Council on the Arts. For more information, visit: http://www.ladyhoofers.org
- The Annenberg Center Presents PHILADANCO’s Xmas Philes, Dec. 12-14 - December 5, 2019
- George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker® Returns to Pennsylvania Ballet, Dec 6-31 - November 27, 2019
- BalletX Presents Fall Series 2019, Dec 4-15 - November 27, 2019
- Philly Kerplop, a supercrew of all styles dancers and musicians, presents Blaow! Cosmos? - November 16, 2019
- The Lady Hoofers Tap Ensemble Establishes Residence On Broad Street With The Tapcracker, Dec 14-15 - November 14, 2019
- Lightbox Film Center Celebrates Legacy of Ed Emshwiller in First-of-its-Kind Retrospective Exhibit - November 11, 2019
- Project Moshen Tackles Ovarian Cancer with Excerpts - October 29, 2019
- The Pew Center for Arts & Heritage Announces 2019 Grants for Philadelphia Artists, Organizations - October 21, 2019
- Kun-Yang Lin/Dancers (KYL/D) Announces Four New Dance Artists for the 2019/2020 season - October 11, 2019
- Koresh 6th Annual Come Together Dance Festival, November 20-24 - October 9, 2019