Wangbo Zhu (company member) is a dancer, choreographer, and teacher from China. He received his BA in Chinese dances from Beijing Dance Academy in 2012. Working as a dancer at China National Opera & Dance Drama Theater after graduation, he performed most works of the dance company such as Confucius, Orphan of Zhao, and Silk Road. He toured with the company nationally and internationally, including the U.S, Europe, Australia and beyond. Right now he is pursuing his MFA in dance at Temple University to find his own voice through dance, while also receiving mentorship under Kun-Yang Lin as a Teaching Assistant. Wangbo was invited to join KYL/D at the beginning of summer 2019.
Ariel Isakowitz (company member), a Philly native, was raised by an Argentine family, has German and Israeli roots, and has lived in more places than you can imagine. He started dancing at the age of 18 at Northwestern University in Chicago, where he joined the Giordano Jazz Young Company in his final year. He has also trained with Kibbutz Contemporary Dance Company (Israel), and at the Ballet Jeune de Geneve (Switzerland). Ariel has performed with many choreographers and companies, including Itzik Galili, Mats Ek, Barak Marshall, Rami Be’er, Guilherme Botelho, Marina Mascarell, Stijn Celis, Ioannis Mandafounis, Kamea Dance Company, Odelya Kuperberg, Peter Kyle, Michael Mao, Catapult, and Mayumana. He has also performed in plays, musicals, and operas, including Much Ado About Nothing, Kiss of the Spider Woman, Leonard Bernstein’s MASS, L’Elisire d’Amore, Madama Butterfly, Orfeo ed Euridice, Romeo et Juliet, and West Side Story. After many years away, Ariel is thrilled to finally be coming home! He joined KYL/D after the company’s audition.
Sophie Malin (apprentice) grew up in Boston, MA, and Mason, OH. She trained extensively in Ballet & Modern dance at Northern Cincinnati Youth Ballet under the direction of Oliver Arana (Cincinnati Ballet) and Susanne Payne (Dayton Contemporary). After relocating to Philadelphia, Sophie danced professionally with Alchemy Dance Company, SHARP Dance Company, and Klassic Contemporary Ballet Company. She also worked as a freelance artist for Blythe Smith, Evalina (Wally) Carbonell, Asya Zlatina and several others. Sophie has attended summer intensives at BalletX, Complexions Contemporary Ballet, Joffrey School of Ballet and Northern Cincinnati Youth Ballet. Besides dancing, Sophie has a deep passion for teaching– most recently working as the Assistant Director/Artist in Residency at the Wilmington Ballet in Delaware. Sophie joined KYL/D after the company’s audition.
Emmanuel Williams (apprentice) grew up in Norfolk, VA. He attended George Mason University in 2012, initially pursuing a Sports Management degree. In 2014, he was accepted into the GMU Dance program and officially started his formal dance training. He has also trained at the Susquehanna Dance Center in Lancaster PA. In 2017, he graduated with a B.S. in Sport Management and a B.F.A. in Dance. After graduating, he married fellow GMU dancer, Isabella, and together they live in Lancaster, PA. He has been establishing himself choreographically under the name LUNA and has been involved with several dance projects in both Washington DC and Lancaster including The Durang Dance Collective, A-Y/Dancers, DancEthos, Servant Stage Theater Company, and Chamber Dance Company. He is grateful to God for the opportunity to dance and is excited to continue his career with KYL/D. Emmanuel joined KYL/D after the company’s audition.
All four new artists will perform together for the first time at KYL/D’s You Be the Judge event on Saturday, October 26th starting at 5:30 pm. For more information, please visit: http://www.kyld.org/you-be-the-judge
- Philly Kerplop, a supercrew of all styles dancers and musicians, presents Blaow! Cosmos? - November 16, 2019
- Lightbox Film Center Celebrates Legacy of Ed Emshwiller in First-of-its-Kind Retrospective Exhibit - November 11, 2019
- Project Moshen Tackles Ovarian Cancer with Excerpts - October 29, 2019
- The Pew Center for Arts & Heritage Announces 2019 Grants for Philadelphia Artists, Organizations - October 21, 2019
- Kun-Yang Lin/Dancers (KYL/D) Announces Four New Dance Artists for the 2019/2020 season - October 11, 2019
- Koresh 6th Annual Come Together Dance Festival, November 20-24 - October 9, 2019
- Metropolitan Ballet Company presents Peter Pan, Nov 23-24 - October 7, 2019
- Perspectives A Presentation of New Work by Temple University Dance B.F.A. Seniors, Nov 22-23 - October 7, 2019
- The Lady Hoofers Tap Ensemble Establishes Residence On Broad Street With The Tapcracker, Dec 14-15 - October 6, 2019
- Taj Express: The Bollywood Musical Revue, Nov 14 - October 5, 2019