The Kimmel Center Cultural Campus presents the dazzling international sensation, Taj Express: The Bollywood Musical Revue, to the Merriam Theater on Thursday, November 14, 2019 at 8:00 p.m. Through a fusion of film, dance, and music, this high-energy production explodes with the sounds of India and Bollywood, capturing the vibrant expressive spirit of the Bollywood movies that have been entertaining billions of people in India for generations.
“The Kimmel Center Cultural Campus’ mission is to engage the region’s diverse communities with art through performance and education, a mission inclusive of the myriad of art forms that flourish internationally,” said Anne Ewers, President, and CEO of the Kimmel Center. “This acclaimed, galvanizing production combines a spectrum of art forms – including film, dance, and live music – in a culturally lavish musical extravaganza!”
Taj Express: The Bollywood Musical Revue is an energetic celebration of new India’s pop music, Bollywood culture, and deep traditions, featuring colorful costumes, joyful dance, and thrilling live music. The revue follows the story of one man’s passion and another man’s genius. Young composer Shankar struggles with his music, and it is only when he begins to follow in the footsteps of his idol A.R.
Rahman that he discovers his path to success.
The production reveals the secrets of the world’s most prolific industry and the people behind the screen who make the magic in India’s factory of dreams. Taj Express rhythmically blends explosive dance with the hits of India’s most iconic composers and is performed by the stars of Bollywood cinema and its greatest musicians, live on stage.
Director Shruti Merchant aims to immerse the audiences in the heart of contemporary Bollywood in a way that has never been seen before. The production features choreography by one of Bollywood’s top young choreographers, Vaibhavi Merchant. Merchant has been the director of choreography for over 75 Bollywood films and has received numerous awards including National Award for Choreography, IIFA, and the American Choreography Award.
The soundtrack features songs by Academy Award® Winner A.R. Rahman – described by TIME as one of the world’s most prolific film composers. Rahman has won two Academy® Awards, two Grammy® Awards, a BAFTA, Golden Globe, and four National Film Awards, among others. His extensive body of work across film and stage has earned him the nickname “The Mozart of Madras” and a spot on TIME’s “World’s Most Influential People” list.
TAJ EXPRESS: THE BOLLYWOOD MUSICAL REVUE
November 14, 2019, 8:00 p.m.
Merriam Theater, 250 S Broad St, Philadelphia
Tickets are on sale now starting at $39.00. Tickets can be purchased by calling 215-893-1999, online at www.kimmelcenter.org, or at the Kimmel Center Box Office.
- Christina Castro-Tauser named executive director of International Ballet Exchange - July 7, 2020
- Koresh Continues Its Weekend Streaming Performance Series June 26-July 13 - June 23, 2020
- Fidget Participates in Inaugural Residency with Under Construction Arts - June 19, 2020
- BalletX Welcomes New Dance Fellow Shawn Cusseaux - June 17, 2020
- The Performance Garage Announces The 2020/21 DanceVisions’ Resident Artist, Joe González - June 15, 2020
- Roni Koresh short film series: HIDE YOUR FACE/UNMASK YOUR HEART, June 12-14 - June 12, 2020
- BalletX to Premiere Four Short Dance Films by Choreographers Hope Boykin, Rena Butler, Caili Quan, and Penny Saunders, June 14 - June 12, 2020
- Movers and Makers: Philadanco Turns 50, June 18 - June 10, 2020
- BalletX Spring and Summer Series 2020 Canceled - May 27, 2020
- Ballet, movement, imagination, and more with ZoomDance - May 18, 2020