The Kimmel Center Cultural Campus presents the dazzling international sensation, Taj Express: The Bollywood Musical Revue, to the Merriam Theater on Thursday, November 14, 2019 at 8:00 p.m. Through a fusion of film, dance, and music, this high-energy production explodes with the sounds of India and Bollywood, capturing the vibrant expressive spirit of the Bollywood movies that have been entertaining billions of people in India for generations.
“The Kimmel Center Cultural Campus’ mission is to engage the region’s diverse communities with art through performance and education, a mission inclusive of the myriad of art forms that flourish internationally,” said Anne Ewers, President, and CEO of the Kimmel Center. “This acclaimed, galvanizing production combines a spectrum of art forms – including film, dance, and live music – in a culturally lavish musical extravaganza!”
Taj Express: The Bollywood Musical Revue is an energetic celebration of new India’s pop music, Bollywood culture, and deep traditions, featuring colorful costumes, joyful dance, and thrilling live music. The revue follows the story of one man’s passion and another man’s genius. Young composer Shankar struggles with his music, and it is only when he begins to follow in the footsteps of his idol A.R.
Rahman that he discovers his path to success.
The production reveals the secrets of the world’s most prolific industry and the people behind the screen who make the magic in India’s factory of dreams. Taj Express rhythmically blends explosive dance with the hits of India’s most iconic composers and is performed by the stars of Bollywood cinema and its greatest musicians, live on stage.
Director Shruti Merchant aims to immerse the audiences in the heart of contemporary Bollywood in a way that has never been seen before. The production features choreography by one of Bollywood’s top young choreographers, Vaibhavi Merchant. Merchant has been the director of choreography for over 75 Bollywood films and has received numerous awards including National Award for Choreography, IIFA, and the American Choreography Award.
The soundtrack features songs by Academy Award® Winner A.R. Rahman – described by TIME as one of the world’s most prolific film composers. Rahman has won two Academy® Awards, two Grammy® Awards, a BAFTA, Golden Globe, and four National Film Awards, among others. His extensive body of work across film and stage has earned him the nickname “The Mozart of Madras” and a spot on TIME’s “World’s Most Influential People” list.
TAJ EXPRESS: THE BOLLYWOOD MUSICAL REVUE
November 14, 2019, 8:00 p.m.
Merriam Theater, 250 S Broad St, Philadelphia
Tickets are on sale now starting at $39.00. Tickets can be purchased by calling 215-893-1999, online at www.kimmelcenter.org, or at the Kimmel Center Box Office.
- The Annenberg Center Presents PHILADANCO’s Xmas Philes, Dec. 12-14 - December 5, 2019
- George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker® Returns to Pennsylvania Ballet, Dec 6-31 - November 27, 2019
- BalletX Presents Fall Series 2019, Dec 4-15 - November 27, 2019
- Philly Kerplop, a supercrew of all styles dancers and musicians, presents Blaow! Cosmos? - November 16, 2019
- The Lady Hoofers Tap Ensemble Establishes Residence On Broad Street With The Tapcracker, Dec 14-15 - November 14, 2019
- Lightbox Film Center Celebrates Legacy of Ed Emshwiller in First-of-its-Kind Retrospective Exhibit - November 11, 2019
- Project Moshen Tackles Ovarian Cancer with Excerpts - October 29, 2019
- The Pew Center for Arts & Heritage Announces 2019 Grants for Philadelphia Artists, Organizations - October 21, 2019
- Kun-Yang Lin/Dancers (KYL/D) Announces Four New Dance Artists for the 2019/2020 season - October 11, 2019
- Koresh 6th Annual Come Together Dance Festival, November 20-24 - October 9, 2019