Get What You Need (GWYN) is a platform for movement artists in the Philadelphia area to show works in progress and get feedback on their artistic process. Created by multidisciplinary artist, Zornitsa Stoyanova, GWYN has been a facet to the Philadelphia dance community since 2015 and has already helped over 40 individual artists. This year marks the expansion of GWYN into a city-wide performance and support residency.
With close to 3000 professional dancers and 230 incorporated dance companies in the Philadelphia region, GWYN provides a solution to ever-dwindling performance opportunities as well as a lack of presenters and production support.
Through an open application process, GWYNRes will be awarded to two movement-based artists. They will have the opportunity to show their work monthly from November of 2019 through May of 2020 at different locations in Philadelphia. Each showing will be free and open to the public and have one mentor available for feedback. Mentors for the program consists of Philadelphia veterans in dance Keila Cordova, Silvana Cardell, Leah Stein, Megan Bridge, Terri Shockley, and Amy Smith. Venues for the showings will be held at The Fidget Space in Fishtown, The Art Room in South Philly, 954 Dance Movement Collective in the Loft District, Cardell Dance Studio in Francisville, and The Community Education Center and The Beard Cave both in West Philadelphia.
Each GWYN event will also be free and open to one local nonresident artist on a first come first serve basis. The residency will culminate with a showing at The Performance Garage on May 30th 2020, where both GWYNRes artists will present their full-length performances and be offered a stipend.
GWYNRes program is almost entirely created by donated space and time. It is made possible by the generous support of The Fidget Space, The Art Room, 954 Dance Movement Collective, Cardell Dance Studio, Community Education Center, The Beard Cave and PhiladelphiaDANCE.org.
To apply to be a GWYNRes artist, visit www.herebegindance.com/get-what-you-need/ Applications are due by October 14th, 2019.
- Kun-Yang Lin/Dancers (KYL/D) Announces Four New Dance Artists for the 2019/2020 season - October 11, 2019
- SUPPER, People on the Move! performed by the Cardell Dance Theater comes to Drexel, Nov 8-10 - October 9, 2019
- Koresh 6th Annual Come Together Dance Festival, November 20-24 - October 9, 2019
- Taj Express: The Bollywood Musical Revue, Nov 14 - October 7, 2019
- SHARP Dance Company takes A Trip Back to the Original Woodstock with their home season revival of Aquarian Exposition, Nov 1-3 - October 7, 2019
- The Annenberg Center Presents Stars of American Ballet, Oct 18-19 - October 4, 2019
- Patawili creates a space for Filipino Philadelphians through dance, Oct 18 & 20 - October 4, 2019
- Get What You Need – a new city wide performance support platform for dance - October 3, 2019
- American Repertory Ballet names Ian Hussey as new Ballet Master - September 30, 2019
- Facing East presents its third year of collaboration with Riyaaz, Oct 11-12 - September 25, 2019