Get What You Need (GWYN) is a platform for movement artists in the Philadelphia area to show works in progress and get feedback on their artistic process. Created by multidisciplinary artist, Zornitsa Stoyanova, GWYN has been a facet to the Philadelphia dance community since 2015 and has already helped over 40 individual artists. This year marks the expansion of GWYN into a city-wide performance and support residency.
With close to 3000 professional dancers and 230 incorporated dance companies in the Philadelphia region, GWYN provides a solution to ever-dwindling performance opportunities as well as a lack of presenters and production support.
Through an open application process, GWYNRes will be awarded to two movement-based artists. They will have the opportunity to show their work monthly from November of 2019 through May of 2020 at different locations in Philadelphia. Each showing will be free and open to the public and have one mentor available for feedback. Mentors for the program consists of Philadelphia veterans in dance Keila Cordova, Silvana Cardell, Leah Stein, Megan Bridge, Terri Shockley, and Amy Smith. Venues for the showings will be held at The Fidget Space in Fishtown, The Art Room in South Philly, 954 Dance Movement Collective in the Loft District, Cardell Dance Studio in Francisville, and The Community Education Center and The Beard Cave both in West Philadelphia.
Each GWYN event will also be free and open to one local nonresident artist on a first come first serve basis. The residency will culminate with a showing at The Performance Garage on May 30th 2020, where both GWYNRes artists will present their full-length performances and be offered a stipend.
GWYNRes program is almost entirely created by donated space and time. It is made possible by the generous support of The Fidget Space, The Art Room, 954 Dance Movement Collective, Cardell Dance Studio, Community Education Center, The Beard Cave and PhiladelphiaDANCE.org.
To apply to be a GWYNRes artist, visit www.herebegindance.com/get-what-you-need/ Applications are due by October 14th, 2019.
- Pennsylvania Ballet Launches Fall Digital Season - October 29, 2020
- PDP Presents Christopher Williams’ Informance, Nov 11 - October 26, 2020
- Boyer College of Music and Dance presents: Altered Tastes An MFA Thesis Concert by Megan Bridge & Rachel DeForrest Repinz, Nov 6 - October 22, 2020
- BalletX World Premiere Event Will Feature Three Short Films by Robbie Fairchild, Amy Hall Garner, Mariana Oliveira, Nov 18 - October 22, 2020
- Bryn Mawr College Dance Program presents The Porch: A Studio Dialogue with Nia Love and Fred Moten, Nov 12 - October 21, 2020
- Artist Chats with Roni Koresh: Creativity in Times of COVID - October 19, 2020
- PDP’s online Informances continue with Dr. Lynn Matluck Brooks, Oct 28 - October 14, 2020
- The Annenberg Center Presents the Philadelphia Debut of Pam Tanowitz Dance, Livestreamed Thursday, October 15 - October 8, 2020
- KYL/D’s Inhale Performance Series Takes On A New Format, Oct 24 - October 1, 2020
- Founder of Community Bollywood Dance Project takes on a new role as Program Director of Dancing Classrooms Philly - September 24, 2020