Philadelphia-based Courtyard Dancers continues it’s efforts of bringing Indian classical performing arts to the community with yet another year of Facing East. In this collaborative production, four east coast contemporary dance companies will perform a joint production entitled Practice/Riyaaz. Using Bharatanatyam, Kathak, Odissi, and Sattriya as foundational training, these companies will present duets, trios and group pieces that embody the notion of intentional, daily practice.
Performing will be Courtyard Dancers (with branches in Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and Kolkata, India they have promoted and developed the art of Kathak as cultural literacy and empowerment); Washington, D.C. based Dakshina Dance Company (which examines through Bharatanatyam the connections between Indian, social, and modern dance forms); Sakshi Productions (a neo-classical Odissi and contemporary dance company); and Philadelphia’s Sattriya Dance Company (the Sattriya art form is a labor of love for sisters-in-law Madhusmita Bora and Prerona Bhuyan).
Riyaaz practice is about our lived experiences. It disciplines the body and the mind so that we can get habituated to movements, words, expressions. Riyaaz, an Arabic word is foundational to the practice of dance and music in India. It is ultimately about living and dancing. The cessation of riyaaz is death. As Rodolph Nureyev writes: “You live as long as you dance. In other words, you live as long as you are in riyaaz.” In practice or riyaaz there is a constant process of polishing, stripping away of the unnecessary – of the ego. Things become clarified in practice. What we value, what is worthy of repetition, how we want to shape ourselves and the worlds we create, what we are committed, how to diagnose and adjust, and adjust, and adjust.
Courtyard Dancers presents Facing East 2019
October 11-12 at 7:30pm
FringeArts, 140 North Christopher Columbus Boulevard, Philadelphia
Tickets $25 online at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/courtyard-dancers-presents-facing-east-2019-tickets-68226203411
- BalletX Goes Virtual with BalletX Beyond for Its 15th Anniversary Season - July 28, 2020
- Coming to FringeArts – Pasion y Arte’s Sevillana Get Togethers 2020, Sept 17 – Oct 4 - July 28, 2020
- Announcing the 2020 Philadelphia Fringe Festival Artist Lineup, Sep 10 – Oct 4 - July 24, 2020
- BalletX Celebrates Caili Quan, July 22 - July 14, 2020
- Poético Dance Collective transforms works in progress into virtual showcase - July 13, 2020
- Christina Castro-Tauser named executive director of International Ballet Exchange - July 7, 2020
- Koresh Continues Its Weekend Streaming Performance Series June 26-July 13 - June 23, 2020
- Fidget Participates in Inaugural Residency with Under Construction Arts - June 19, 2020
- BalletX Welcomes New Dance Fellow Shawn Cusseaux - June 17, 2020
- The Performance Garage Announces The 2020/21 DanceVisions’ Resident Artist, Joe González - June 15, 2020