the after-image celebrates its launch as a theater company with its first fully produced work, RE: SHE a litany of adventures. This dance-theater lost world adventure story will premiere at PlayArts as part of the 2019 Philadelphia Fringe Festival. Credited as one of the original “lost world” stories, She, its colonial underpinnings, the adaptations that follow, and the genre it inspires (i.e. Indiana Jones) exponentially deny power to women and people of color. RE: SHE is a reclamation of narrative agency, born from a collective effort of the entire artistic team, with each member holding a distinct perspective on race, gender, and ability. The company tells this story through devised movement, text, and choreography.
Quite the opposite of telling this racist and misogynistic story again, RE: SHE a litany of adventures examines how these stories were told, why these stories were told, and why they were popular. Drawing on alternative lost world narratives – envisioned by people of color and women – the modern day explorers of RE: SHE bravely embark on their paths towards individual and historic reckoning. Contending with the lineages of hate into which they were born, this band of civilian seekers exhume a cancerous story that they cannot see, but whose impact they feel deep in their blood. Hurtling along a path of no return, some adventurers must atone for their sins and those they’ve inherited, while others must avenge wrongs still ongoing. If they don’t, they risk writing the next chapter in a real and horrific penny dreadful.
RE: SHE is envisioned and produced by the after-image, a new movement-based theater company founded by Co-Producing Artistic Directors Kate St. John and Amy Shoshana Blumberg. The mission of the after-image is to create theatrical events for the passionately postmodern audience: “We are a theater company contending with the stories and forms that have preserved the status quo. We conjure text, movement, video, and sound into productions that engage an active audience in the collective questions of our past, present, and future.” Recent MFA graduates in scenic design and theater directing, respectively, Kate and Amy recently co-created he called it cymbeline, an immersive rendering of Shakespeare’s Cymbeline, and draw on their backgrounds in the Classics and modern dance to develop their work.
RE: SHE Devisors (performing & non-performing): Marcus Barainyak, Hannah Brannau, Hannah Gold, Tariq Kanu, Vida Manalang, and Jessica Money. Sound Designers: Elizabeth Atkinson and Eliana Fabiyi. Director: Amy Shoshana Blumberg. Production Designer: Kate St. John.
RE: SHE a litany of adventures
Friday, September 13 @ 8:30PM
Saturday, September 14 @ 9:30PM
Sunday, September 15 @ 9:30PM &
Friday, September 20 @ 8:30PM – Enhanced Accessibility: ASL Interpretation
Saturday, September 21 @ 9:30PM
Sunday, September 22 @ 9:30PM
***run time of 80 minutes
PlayArts, 1241 N Front Street, Philadelphia, PA 19122
Accessible Entrance on N Lee St. – one block east of Front Street entrance
*accessible seating available at all performances*
Tickets: $20, $15 – student discount with valid ID
https://www.theafter-image.com/reshetickets or https://fringearts.com/event/re-she/
- Reflection:Response Choreographic Commission 2019 features kNots and Nests by Marion Ramírez - August 25, 2019
- 2019 Fringe Festival Curated Programming for Dance - August 23, 2019
- Agama Indian Classical Arts Festival comes to Philadelphia, Sept 6-8 - August 21, 2019
- Elba Hevia y Vaca’s La Bolivianita to premiere at 2019 Fringe Festival, Sept 19-22 - August 13, 2019
- 2019 Women in Dance Leadership Conference , October 17-19 - August 12, 2019
- Ani/Malayaworks and Drum Like a Lady present Sunset CypHER at Bartram’s Garden, Sept 21 - August 10, 2019
- Lyons and Tigers presents Proceed with Caution in the 2019 Philadelphia Fringe Festival, Sept 20-22 - August 10, 2019
- the after-image debuts in Philly with RE: SHE a litany of adventures, Sept 13-22 - August 10, 2019
- Leah Stein Dance Company premieres Close to Home, Sept 21-29 - August 10, 2019
- Kalila Kingsford Smith Dance Presents I Spy, With My Little Eye, Sept 12-15 - August 9, 2019