Lyons and Tigers presents their full evening multimedia performance Proceed with Caution in the 2019 Philadelphia Fringe Festival September 20- 22 at the Performance Garage in Fairmount. Refreshed and expanded after it’s premiere in the 2018 Fringe Festival, the work is back to take the stage at one of Philadelphia’s best venues for dance.
Proceed with Caution grapples with personal, social, and global security and trust in the present day- a time of global violence, the Trump presidency, mass shootings, and the #MeToo movement. A group of performers explore security through dance, video projection, and spoken and recorded words. Expanded and updated over the past year, the work includes a new twenty minute section about security after 911. The central theme of the work comes from security expert Bruce Schneier. He writes: “Security is both a reality and a feeling and they’re not the same thing… The foundation of security is trust, both personal trust and global trust”. The piece begins to address these questions: How do humans build trust in dance? How do we build trust with each other? How do we build trust in the world at large? How do we address and assess our fears about personal safety? How do our personal feelings of security intersect with global security? How do we make an impact on security through art and activism?
With the support of projected video dispersed throughout the piece, the group of performers tell raw stories in their own voices and bodies of their real life experiences of feeling safe, feeling scared, and being truly endangered. The new hour-long version evolves as it moves from the personal to the global, addressing modern issues and how they affect our individual and collective associations and understandings of safety within an increasingly turbulent humanity. Proceed with Caution does not claim to have all the answers, but it’s worth experiencing because the work takes a brave step into exploring one of today’s greatest challenges that everyone can relate to: security.
Lyons and Tigers presents Proceed with Caution
Friday, Saturday September 20 and 21 at 7:30 PM and Sunday September 22 at 2 PM.
The Performance Garage, 1515 Brandywine Street, Philadelphia, PA 19130
Tickets and more info: https://fringearts.com/event/proceed-caution/ and lyonsandtigers.org
photo credit: Ryan Collerd
- Philly Kerplop, a supercrew of all styles dancers and musicians, presents Blaow! Cosmos? - November 16, 2019
- Lightbox Film Center Celebrates Legacy of Ed Emshwiller in First-of-its-Kind Retrospective Exhibit - November 11, 2019
- Project Moshen Tackles Ovarian Cancer with Excerpts - October 29, 2019
- The Pew Center for Arts & Heritage Announces 2019 Grants for Philadelphia Artists, Organizations - October 21, 2019
- Kun-Yang Lin/Dancers (KYL/D) Announces Four New Dance Artists for the 2019/2020 season - October 11, 2019
- Koresh 6th Annual Come Together Dance Festival, November 20-24 - October 9, 2019
- Metropolitan Ballet Company presents Peter Pan, Nov 23-24 - October 7, 2019
- Perspectives A Presentation of New Work by Temple University Dance B.F.A. Seniors, Nov 22-23 - October 7, 2019
- The Lady Hoofers Tap Ensemble Establishes Residence On Broad Street With The Tapcracker, Dec 14-15 - October 6, 2019
- Taj Express: The Bollywood Musical Revue, Nov 14 - October 5, 2019