Lyons and Tigers presents their full evening multimedia performance Proceed with Caution in the 2019 Philadelphia Fringe Festival September 20- 22 at the Performance Garage in Fairmount. Refreshed and expanded after it’s premiere in the 2018 Fringe Festival, the work is back to take the stage at one of Philadelphia’s best venues for dance.
Proceed with Caution grapples with personal, social, and global security and trust in the present day- a time of global violence, the Trump presidency, mass shootings, and the #MeToo movement. A group of performers explore security through dance, video projection, and spoken and recorded words. Expanded and updated over the past year, the work includes a new twenty minute section about security after 911. The central theme of the work comes from security expert Bruce Schneier. He writes: “Security is both a reality and a feeling and they’re not the same thing… The foundation of security is trust, both personal trust and global trust”. The piece begins to address these questions: How do humans build trust in dance? How do we build trust with each other? How do we build trust in the world at large? How do we address and assess our fears about personal safety? How do our personal feelings of security intersect with global security? How do we make an impact on security through art and activism?
With the support of projected video dispersed throughout the piece, the group of performers tell raw stories in their own voices and bodies of their real life experiences of feeling safe, feeling scared, and being truly endangered. The new hour-long version evolves as it moves from the personal to the global, addressing modern issues and how they affect our individual and collective associations and understandings of safety within an increasingly turbulent humanity. Proceed with Caution does not claim to have all the answers, but it’s worth experiencing because the work takes a brave step into exploring one of today’s greatest challenges that everyone can relate to: security.
Lyons and Tigers presents Proceed with Caution
Friday, Saturday September 20 and 21 at 7:30 PM and Sunday September 22 at 2 PM.
The Performance Garage, 1515 Brandywine Street, Philadelphia, PA 19130
Tickets and more info: https://fringearts.com/event/proceed-caution/ and lyonsandtigers.org
photo credit: Ryan Collerd
- Jeanine Durning Teaches two workshops in Philadelphia – POSTPONED - March 10, 2020
- Bill T. Jones, Deep Blue Sea is coming to the Mann, May 8-9 - March 2, 2020
- Philadelphia Dance Projects Presents A Provocative Evening of Screendance and Live Dance – POSTPONED - February 28, 2020
- Metropolitan Ballet’s 2020 Variations/Collaborations, POSTPONED - February 26, 2020
- jumatatu m. poe receives 2020 Creative Capital Award - February 18, 2020
- Roger Lee Dance Company’s Spring Concert Series – Music – POSTPONED - February 17, 2020
- Foreign Tongues by Liquid Loft, March 11-12 - February 12, 2020
- Ballet Folclórico Nacional de México de SILVIA LOZANO, March 12 - February 12, 2020
- BalletX Presents Spring Series 2020, March 18 – 29 – POSTPONED - February 11, 2020
- 5th Annual Opine Dance Film Festival – POSTPONED - February 11, 2020