I Spy, With My Little Eye slides down the Chutes and Ladders of youth into the Scrabble of your earliest memories. This interactive dance performance provides an opportunity to Connect Four a moment in the shared joys and toys of childhood experience. In this first performance by Kalila Kingsford Smith Dance (KKSD), the audience is invited to bring a childlike attention to the world.
This 55 minute show will run for 5 performances from September 12-15 at Mascher Space Cooperative in Kensington. General admission is $20, student tickets are $15, and children under the age of 12 can receive a discounted ticket at $5. Seating is limited. Audiences will be invited to participate during the performance.
Through five sections, eight dancers search for unified experiences that highlight moments of togetherness, of childhood friends, of special places that inspire our imaginations, of collecting precious items that define our personalities. Accompanied by original music by Alina John, we move together in spontaneous games of I Spy, Tag, Hopscotch, and Whisper Down The Lane in an exploration of presence and fun, dancing ourselves into a playful reflection on what it was like to be a kid.
Kalila Kingsford Smith Dance is a project-based collection of dancer-artists who build interactive environments in which the dance crosses the perceived boundaries between audience and performer. Each dance is a product of the creative energies of all involved; the performers, the creative collaborators, and the audience.
Philadelphia native Kalila Kingsford Smith is an independent choreographer, performer, and dance educator. She has performed in the works of Dianne McIntyre, Paul Taylor, Mary Anthony, José Limón, Pauline Koner, Gwendolyn Bye, Stephen Welsh, and other local dance artists. Informed by her training in modern and contemporary dance, her choreography flows between tension and release, momentum and suspension, improvisation and composition, and storytelling and abstraction. Her choreography has been presented throughout Philadelphia, including at Leah Stein’s Studio Works, the Come Together Festival, the Fringe Festival, SoLow Fest, and InHale Performance Series. As a dance educator at Temple and Drexel University, she teaches courses in modern dance technique, improvisation, choreography, dance history and theory. Kalila is also a writer and editor with thINKingDANC. Kalila received her MA in Dance from Temple University, a BFA in Dance and a BA in Cultural Anthropology from the University of Michigan.
I Spy, With My Little Eye
Kalila Kingsford Smith Dance
Part of the 2019 Fringe Festival
Mascher Space Cooperative, 155 Cecil B. Moore Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19122
September 12 and September 13 at 7:30pm; September 14 at 5pm and 7:30pm; September 15 at 3:30pm
Tickets and more info: https://fringearts.com/event/i-spy-with-my-little-eye/
- Reflection:Response Choreographic Commission 2019 features kNots and Nests by Marion Ramírez - August 25, 2019
- 2019 Fringe Festival Curated Programming for Dance - August 23, 2019
- Agama Indian Classical Arts Festival comes to Philadelphia, Sept 6-8 - August 21, 2019
- Elba Hevia y Vaca’s La Bolivianita to premiere at 2019 Fringe Festival, Sept 19-22 - August 13, 2019
- 2019 Women in Dance Leadership Conference , October 17-19 - August 12, 2019
- Ani/Malayaworks and Drum Like a Lady present Sunset CypHER at Bartram’s Garden, Sept 21 - August 10, 2019
- Lyons and Tigers presents Proceed with Caution in the 2019 Philadelphia Fringe Festival, Sept 20-22 - August 10, 2019
- the after-image debuts in Philly with RE: SHE a litany of adventures, Sept 13-22 - August 10, 2019
- Leah Stein Dance Company premieres Close to Home, Sept 21-29 - August 10, 2019
- Kalila Kingsford Smith Dance Presents I Spy, With My Little Eye, Sept 12-15 - August 9, 2019