Nichole Canuso Dance Company will present Sneakers from September 6-10, 2019 at Theatre Exile in Philadelphia as patrt of this years Philadelphia Fringe Festival. When someone departs your life they also enter it in a new way. Sneakers is about that shift. Created and performed by Nichole Canuso in collaboration with director Suli Holum and sound designer Michael Kiley, Sneakers is an elegy for what has gone, and a tender tumble through what remains. Sneakers also examines the architecture of memory, and the systems we construct to house the past, the present, the false, the borrowed and the buried.
The last time Canuso, Holum and Kiley collaborated in these same roles, was the Fringe Festival hit Wandering Alice (2008). These three dear friends and collaborators have hovered in one another’s orbit over the years, collaborating in different constellations of artists. They return as a trio to create this deeply personal work about grief and consolation, and the architecture of memory.
Sneakers will be performed at Theatre Exile in south Philadelphia Friday, September 6th through Tuesday, September 10th, showing times are as followed: Friday, 6pm; Saturday 7pm; Sunday, 3pm; Monday, 8pm* (*followed by a late-night performance cabaret); Tuesday, 8pm. Theatre Exile is located at 1340 S. 13th St., Philadelphia, PA 19147. Box office: 215-413-1318. For tickets visit https://fringearts.com/event/sneakers/
*Monday evening’s performance will be followed by a late-night cabaret featuring Martha Graham Cracker, Eliza Hardy Jones, Pax Ressler, Emmanuel Delpech and many more. Drinks and snacks will be available throughout the evening.
Nichole Canuso Dance Company (NCDC) is dedicated to creating performance experiences that embrace the complexity of humanity. Projects often sit at the crossroads of movement, visual art, and theater. NCDC brings dance out of conventional spaces to engage audiences in adventurous ways. The company is currently exploring the interfaces of live, embodied presence with emerging technologies that challenge our definitions of human relationship.
Founded in 2004 by choreographer Nichole Canuso, NCDC is a Philadelphia-based ensemble that creates works revealing the complexity of the human experience. NCDC has been presented by FringeArts (Philadelphia), New York Live Arts (New York), The American Repertory Theater (Cambridge, MA), The Clarice Smith Performing Arts Center (College Park, MD), Dance Theatre Workshop (New York), DancePlace (Washington, D.C.), Judson Church Movement Research Exchange (New York, Philadelphia), Links Hall (Chicago), Lincoln Center Out of Doors Festival (New York), the International Festival of Art and Ideas (CT), HERE Arts Center (New York), Velocity Founders Theater (Seattle) and others. NCDC has been funded by the National Endowment for the Arts, the Pew Center for Arts & Heritage, the Wyncote Foundation, the Philadelphia Cultural Fund, the William Penn Foundation, the Pennsylvania Council on the Arts, the Knight Foundation, the Samuel S. Fels Fund, and Suzanne Roberts Foundation.
- BalletX Spring and Summer Series 2020 Canceled - May 27, 2020
- Ballet, movement, imagination, and more with ZoomDance - May 18, 2020
- BalletX Says Farewell to Longtime Company Member Caili Quan – Welcomes Two New Dancers Savannah Green and Ashley Simpson - May 14, 2020
- Restorative Contact for Quarantine Buddies with Gabrielle Revlock - April 14, 2020
- The Lady Hoofers Tap Ensemble Spreads Joy Remotely During Pandemic - March 24, 2020
- ARTIST HOUSE / Asya Zlatina + Dancers present CARRY ON, Virtually April 2 at 12:30 pm - March 23, 2020
- Jeanine Durning Teaches two workshops in Philadelphia – POSTPONED - March 10, 2020
- Bill T. Jones, Deep Blue Sea is coming to the Mann, May 8-9 - March 2, 2020
- Philadelphia Dance Projects Presents A Provocative Evening of Screendance and Live Dance – POSTPONED - February 28, 2020
- Metropolitan Ballet’s 2020 Variations/Collaborations, POSTPONED - February 26, 2020