As part of the 2019 Philly Fringe, Tangle Movement Arts, Philadelphia’s aerial storytellers, present In Transit, a new circus-theater show that explores the ordinary and extraordinary moments found on public transportation. Nine women climb silks and hang from trapezes as subway rides and bus stops become a platform for aerial dance and intimate moments between strangers. Mixing live music, acrobatic movement, and theatrical magic, In Transit premieres at Old City’s Neighborhood House on September 4-7, 2019.
Tangle’s all-female cast swings, balances, and flies above the daily grind and remarkable surprises of our routine paths. In Transit travels through unexpected connections, quick changes, and private lives colliding in public spaces—as Tangle’s acrobats transcend the daily commute to find love, frustration, and missing umbrellas.
“Wind, rain, or sun, we gather at the bus stop. The transit commute can be a democratizing force. It collects people from different backgrounds, heading to different destinations—but we all move at the same speed when we are on the bus together,” says Tangle founder Lauren Rile Smith. “We wanted to investigate what it means to exist collectively in our trips across public space.”
Tangle Movement Arts is a circus arts company with a contemporary twist, whose performances mix traditional circus like trapeze and acrobatics with dance, theater, and live music to tell a multi-dimensional story. Tangle’s work reflects individuals of diverse identities, with an emphasis on queer and female experiences, and is devised collaboratively by its all-female ensemble. Based in Philadelphia, Tangle has been a Philly FringeArts Festival favorite since its inception in 2011.
In Transit premieres at Christ Church Neighborhood House. 20 N. American Street, Philadelphia on Wednesday September 4 (8pm), Thursday September 5 (8pm), Friday September 6 (8pm), and Saturday September 7 (3pm and 8pm). Tickets are $10-20 and available via www.tangle-arts.com.
***photo credit: Michael Ermilio
- The Lady Hoofers Tap Ensemble Spreads Joy Remotely During Pandemic - March 24, 2020
- ARTIST HOUSE / Asya Zlatina + Dancers present CARRY ON, Virtually April 2 at 12:30 pm - March 23, 2020
- Jeanine Durning Teaches two workshops in Philadelphia – POSTPONED - March 10, 2020
- Bill T. Jones, Deep Blue Sea is coming to the Mann, May 8-9 - March 2, 2020
- Philadelphia Dance Projects Presents A Provocative Evening of Screendance and Live Dance – POSTPONED - February 28, 2020
- Metropolitan Ballet’s 2020 Variations/Collaborations, POSTPONED - February 26, 2020
- jumatatu m. poe receives 2020 Creative Capital Award - February 18, 2020
- Roger Lee Dance Company’s Spring Concert Series – Music – POSTPONED - February 17, 2020
- Foreign Tongues by Liquid Loft, March 11-12 - February 12, 2020
- Ballet Folclórico Nacional de México de SILVIA LOZANO, March 12 - February 12, 2020