by Steven Weisz for The Dance Journal
Philadelphia’s “Trinity Dance Family” actually consists of three independent hip hop dance companies – Philly Sirens Dance Company, Triton Dance Company, and R.E.A.L.E. In 2018, these companies joined forces in a collaborative spirit after performing together locally in the Philly Sirens production of 50 Shades of Dance.
In just a short time, they have been featured in Hip Hop Legend Doug E Fresh music video – Celebrate and Philly pop stars Monie and Meeks taping of Bad Boy. Both, Philly Sirens/Triton and R.E.A.L.E are recipients of the Philly Dance Awards’2018 Top Female and Top Male Choreographers Overall. The Philly Sirens also received accolades as Crew On The Rise, Most Creative Crew and Best Female Crew 2018. R.E.A.L.E was acknowledged as Best Male Crew of 2018.
Their accomplishments have not gone unnoticed as the Trinity Dance Family has now been personally invited to compete on the national and potentially international stage in one of the largest dance competitions, Hip Hop International (HHI). Hip Hop International has produced popular shows like World of Dance and America’s Best Dance Crew.
The Trinity Dance Family will be the first-ever dance team to represent the city of Philadelphia at HHI. As they prepare to head to Arizona for eleven days in August to compete in the U.S. preliminaries, the group has its eye on going on to compete in the HHI World Battle on August 10th.
Misa Blue, founder of the Sirens can hardly hold back her enthusiasm, “It is a great opportunity to shine a light on the City of Philadelphia, to network with some of the who’s who in the dance world, and to represent all of the great talents the city has to offer. The goal is to bring the world title back home; and if not, leave the greatest impression on the dance world that no longer counts Philly out.”
The three companies will be spending the remainder of their Summer preparing for the competition as well as raising funds to support their travel and expenses. They carry with them not just their talents but a sense of Philly pride!
- Philadelphia’s Own Trinity Dance Family goes to Arizona to compete in Hip Hop International - July 19, 2019
- Dawn Marie Bazemore creates socio-political work of substance - April 22, 2019
- Sanders and Yannick Soar With Romeo & Juliet - April 7, 2019
- Les Ballets Jazz de Montréal’s Tribute to Leonard Cohen with Dance With Me - March 9, 2019
- (RE) Frame – MFA Thesis Performance by Blanca Huertas-Agnew - February 17, 2019
- Sammy Reyes’ Social Compass - January 29, 2019
- First Sunday at The Barnes with Rhonda Moore and Christina Castro-Tauser - November 7, 2018
- The Philly Sirens bring change to the East Coast Dance World - October 17, 2018
- Ruckus Dance ventures to Philadelphia - September 23, 2018
- Truly A Fringe Gem in Kind & Metal’s Indestructible Flowers - September 23, 2018