BalletX, led by Artistic & Executive Director Christine Cox, is thrilled to announce its first-ever Block Party for the whole family to be held at the company’s 1923 Washington Avenue headquarters on Sunday, June 2, 2019. The event will take place both indoors at the BalletX Center and outdoors with Washington Avenue closed off between 19th and 20th Streets. The Block Party, FREE and open to the public, is an opportunity for BalletX fans and surrounding neighbors to come together and celebrate a day of dance and community.
Guests are invited to register for free studio dance classes for youth and adults, taught by BalletX dancers and teachers from 10am-6pm. Dance classes being offered include Ballet, Contemporary, Hip Hop, Voguing, West African Dance, and more. No experience required to participate in dance classes. Advance registration is recommended at https://www.balletx.org/block-party-2019/.
There will also be dance performances on an outdoor stage by BalletX and fellow Philadelphia dance artists from 12pm-6pm. Artists slated to perform, in addition to BalletX, include Kun-Yang Lin/Dancers (KYL/D), Eleone Dance Theatre, Danco 2 (D/2) – Philadanco’s Apprentice Company, JUNK, The Hood Lockers, and Chocolate Ballerina Company.
Local vendors serving food, beer, and wine include Dock Street Brewery, Jet Bar Wine, Cafe Ynez, Tuck-ins, and Sista’s on the Roll. Block Party 2019 is generously sponsored by SOSNA, OCF Realty, Chick’s, OpenBox Athletics, T-House, and PECO.
BalletX Block Party 2019
Sunday, June 2, 2019
1923 Washington Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19146
10am-6pm (Community Dance Classes)
12pm-6pm (Block Party & Performances)
- Boyer College of Music and Dance presents: Altered Tastes An MFA Thesis Concert by Megan Bridge & Rachel DeForrest Repinz, Nov 6 - October 22, 2020
- BalletX World Premiere Event Will Feature Three Short Films by Robbie Fairchild, Amy Hall Garner, Mariana Oliveira, Nov 18 - October 22, 2020
- Bryn Mawr College Dance Program presents The Porch: A Studio Dialogue with Nia Love and Fred Moten, Nov 12 - October 21, 2020
- Artist Chats with Roni Koresh: Creativity in Times of COVID - October 19, 2020
- PDP’s online Informances continue with Dr. Lynn Matluck Brooks, Oct 28 - October 14, 2020
- The Annenberg Center Presents the Philadelphia Debut of Pam Tanowitz Dance, Livestreamed Thursday, October 15 - October 8, 2020
- KYL/D’s Inhale Performance Series Takes On A New Format, Oct 24 - October 1, 2020
- Founder of Community Bollywood Dance Project takes on a new role as Program Director of Dancing Classrooms Philly - September 24, 2020
- Philadelphia’s Rennie Harris Receives 2020 Doris Duke Artist Award - September 17, 2020
- Choreographer, Tommie-Waheed Evans to be featured in PDP’s Informance, Oct 14th - September 14, 2020