Bryan Koulman Dance Company announces its fourth annual season shows at The Performance Garage. Director and Choreographer Koulman presents three evenings of new choreography and live music featuring dancers of the Pennsylvania Ballet and a musician from the Opera Philadelphia Orchestra.
This season’s performances feature an impressive roster of artists whose training and experience span ballet and modern dance. Performing on the program from The Pennsylvania Ballet are soloist Albert Gordon, Corps de Ballet members Sydney Dolan and Austin Eyler, apprentice Flavia Morante, and Pennsylvania Ballet II members Santiago Paniagua and Lucia Erickson. Also performing on the program are Brandywine Ballet’s Elizabeth Strenge and contemporary dancer Nikolai McKenzie. Joining the dancers is musician Branson Yeast, First Cello of the Opera Philadelphia orchestra. The ensemble is choreographed on and directed by Bryan Koulman.
Regarded as “high caliber” in The Philadelphia Dance Journal, Koulman weaves contemporary dance techniques with streamlined classical ballet, showcasing the heights of the renowned dancers’ artistry and years of dedicated training. Bryan Koulman Dance Company excels at creating theatrical environments driven by an eclectic array of powerful music performed by world-class musicians. The four works on the 2019 program will be performed to live music for cello and piano composed by Joseph Haydn, Robert De Visée, and Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky, in addition to music by the jazz group Weather Report.
Bryan Koulman began studying modern dance at Swarthmore College in 1979. After performing professionally with the Milwaukee Ballet and the North Carolina Dance Theater, he began performing, teaching and choreographing in Philadelphia and New York. The recipient of a choreographic fellowship from the Pennsylvania Council on the Arts, his work has been presented the Merce Cunningham Studio in New York and the Painted Bride in Philadelphia. He received an MFA from the Tisch School of the Arts in 1991 and presently teaches ballet at the Pennsylvania Academy of Ballet in Narberth, PA. In the Spring of 2016, he collaborated with the Circus School of Philadelphia in a production of the full-length ballet, “The Magic Toyshop,” presented at the Upper Darby Performing Arts Center.
Bryan Koulman Dance Company at The Performance Garage runs June 6, 7, and 8 at 8:00 pm. The venue is located at 1515 Brandywine Street in Philadelphia. Tickets are available to the general public for $25 and for students/artists at $18. The venue is wheelchair accessible. Seating is limited and reservations are recommended. Tickets are on sale now at https://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/4222585.
Photo credit: Lauren Hirsch
- Works choreographed by Bryan Koulman, featuring dancers of the Pennsylvania Ballet, June 6-8 - May 8, 2019
- BalletX Presents Summer Series 2019 featuring The Little Prince by choreographer Annabelle Lopez Ochoa - May 7, 2019
- Philadelphia hip-hop legend Rennie Harris’ new work Funkedified, June 7-8 - May 7, 2019
- Almanac Dance Circus Theatre Brings Back Communitas: Five Years Later May 16-25 - May 7, 2019
- The Annenberg Center Presents Season-Closer, Parsons Dance, May 10-11 - May 6, 2019
- Tori Lawrence + Co. returns to Philadelphia with a preview of JUNKSPACE, May 12 - May 6, 2019
- The air is describing us, May 10-11 - April 30, 2019
- The Lady Hoofers’ Annual Spring Concert – On Tap, May 4th - April 20, 2019
- The 9th Philly Tango Fest to take place Memorial Day Weekend, May 24 – 27, 2019 - April 17, 2019
- Bryn Mawr College Dance Program Spring Concert, April 26-27 - April 16, 2019