Bryan Koulman Dance Company announces its fourth annual season shows at The Performance Garage. Director and Choreographer Koulman presents three evenings of new choreography and live music featuring dancers of the Pennsylvania Ballet and a musician from the Opera Philadelphia Orchestra.
This season’s performances feature an impressive roster of artists whose training and experience span ballet and modern dance. Performing on the program from The Pennsylvania Ballet are soloist Albert Gordon, Corps de Ballet members Sydney Dolan and Austin Eyler, apprentice Flavia Morante, and Pennsylvania Ballet II members Santiago Paniagua and Lucia Erickson. Also performing on the program are Brandywine Ballet’s Elizabeth Strenge and contemporary dancer Nikolai McKenzie. Joining the dancers is musician Branson Yeast, First Cello of the Opera Philadelphia orchestra. The ensemble is choreographed on and directed by Bryan Koulman.
Regarded as “high caliber” in The Philadelphia Dance Journal, Koulman weaves contemporary dance techniques with streamlined classical ballet, showcasing the heights of the renowned dancers’ artistry and years of dedicated training. Bryan Koulman Dance Company excels at creating theatrical environments driven by an eclectic array of powerful music performed by world-class musicians. The four works on the 2019 program will be performed to live music for cello and piano composed by Joseph Haydn, Robert De Visée, and Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky, in addition to music by the jazz group Weather Report.
Bryan Koulman began studying modern dance at Swarthmore College in 1979. After performing professionally with the Milwaukee Ballet and the North Carolina Dance Theater, he began performing, teaching and choreographing in Philadelphia and New York. The recipient of a choreographic fellowship from the Pennsylvania Council on the Arts, his work has been presented the Merce Cunningham Studio in New York and the Painted Bride in Philadelphia. He received an MFA from the Tisch School of the Arts in 1991 and presently teaches ballet at the Pennsylvania Academy of Ballet in Narberth, PA. In the Spring of 2016, he collaborated with the Circus School of Philadelphia in a production of the full-length ballet, “The Magic Toyshop,” presented at the Upper Darby Performing Arts Center.
Bryan Koulman Dance Company at The Performance Garage runs June 6, 7, and 8 at 8:00 pm. The venue is located at 1515 Brandywine Street in Philadelphia. Tickets are available to the general public for $25 and for students/artists at $18. The venue is wheelchair accessible. Seating is limited and reservations are recommended. Tickets are on sale now at https://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/4222585.
Photo credit: Lauren Hirsch
- Philly Kerplop, a supercrew of all styles dancers and musicians, presents Blaow! Cosmos? - November 16, 2019
- Lightbox Film Center Celebrates Legacy of Ed Emshwiller in First-of-its-Kind Retrospective Exhibit - November 11, 2019
- Project Moshen Tackles Ovarian Cancer with Excerpts - October 29, 2019
- The Pew Center for Arts & Heritage Announces 2019 Grants for Philadelphia Artists, Organizations - October 21, 2019
- Kun-Yang Lin/Dancers (KYL/D) Announces Four New Dance Artists for the 2019/2020 season - October 11, 2019
- Koresh 6th Annual Come Together Dance Festival, November 20-24 - October 9, 2019
- Metropolitan Ballet Company presents Peter Pan, Nov 23-24 - October 7, 2019
- Perspectives A Presentation of New Work by Temple University Dance B.F.A. Seniors, Nov 22-23 - October 7, 2019
- The Lady Hoofers Tap Ensemble Establishes Residence On Broad Street With The Tapcracker, Dec 14-15 - October 6, 2019
- Taj Express: The Bollywood Musical Revue, Nov 14 - October 5, 2019