Muhlenberg College dancers tell their stories through movement, as the Muhlenberg Theatre & Dance Department presents “Dance Emerge,” a showcase for dance works created by emerging choreographers, April 11-14 in the college’s intimate Studio Theatre.
The concert will showcase seven student choreographers and more than 50 dancers from the department’s dance program, which is among the most highly regarded programs of its kind. “Dance Emerge” features costume and lighting designs by the department’s acclaimed professional staff.
“This year’s program highlights the creative processes of student choreographers as they artfully transform seeds of inspiration into original dance works,” says Marcie Mamura, the concert’s artistic director and a member of the dance program faculty. “The movement cultivated by these talented choreographers explores an array of ideas from crystalline architectures to synapse pathways and curious connections.”
The seven original dances feature styles inspired by jazz, modern, and Gaga, an Israeli dance form. The choreographers draw inspiration from such sources as the practice of people-watching, the stages of a relationship, and “mental hesitation,” among others.
Choreographer Karlie Lynn Zabin ’20 created a piece titled “Kayamim (Exist),” based on her exploration of her Jewish identity as well as her experiences in Israel. The piece blends the Israeli dance form of Gaga, created by choreographer Ohad Naharin, and modern dance. “My rehearsal process has been such a beautiful collaborative experience,” Zabin says. “Many of my conversations with the dancers have revolved around identity and what it means to be in a piece about going ‘home’ or back to our roots. I hope the audience will see five strong women who are seeing both themselves and each other.”
“Dance Emerge” runs April 11-14 in the Studio Theatre, Trexler Pavilion for Theatre & Dance, Muhlenberg College, 2400 Chew St., Allentown. Performances are Thursday and Friday, April 11-12, at 8 p.m.; Saturday, April 13, at 2 and 8 p.m.; and Sunday, April 14, at 2 p.m. Tickets are $15 for adults; $8 for patrons 17 and under; and $8 for students, faculty and staff of all LVAIC colleges. Tickets and information are available at 484-664-3333 or muhlenberg.edu/dance.
- The Annenberg Center Presents PHILADANCO’s Xmas Philes, Dec. 12-14 - December 5, 2019
- George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker® Returns to Pennsylvania Ballet, Dec 6-31 - November 27, 2019
- BalletX Presents Fall Series 2019, Dec 4-15 - November 27, 2019
- Philly Kerplop, a supercrew of all styles dancers and musicians, presents Blaow! Cosmos? - November 16, 2019
- The Lady Hoofers Tap Ensemble Establishes Residence On Broad Street With The Tapcracker, Dec 14-15 - November 14, 2019
- Lightbox Film Center Celebrates Legacy of Ed Emshwiller in First-of-its-Kind Retrospective Exhibit - November 11, 2019
- Project Moshen Tackles Ovarian Cancer with Excerpts - October 29, 2019
- The Pew Center for Arts & Heritage Announces 2019 Grants for Philadelphia Artists, Organizations - October 21, 2019
- Kun-Yang Lin/Dancers (KYL/D) Announces Four New Dance Artists for the 2019/2020 season - October 11, 2019
- Koresh 6th Annual Come Together Dance Festival, November 20-24 - October 9, 2019