Muhlenberg College dancers tell their stories through movement, as the Muhlenberg Theatre & Dance Department presents “Dance Emerge,” a showcase for dance works created by emerging choreographers, April 11-14 in the college’s intimate Studio Theatre.
The concert will showcase seven student choreographers and more than 50 dancers from the department’s dance program, which is among the most highly regarded programs of its kind. “Dance Emerge” features costume and lighting designs by the department’s acclaimed professional staff.
“This year’s program highlights the creative processes of student choreographers as they artfully transform seeds of inspiration into original dance works,” says Marcie Mamura, the concert’s artistic director and a member of the dance program faculty. “The movement cultivated by these talented choreographers explores an array of ideas from crystalline architectures to synapse pathways and curious connections.”
The seven original dances feature styles inspired by jazz, modern, and Gaga, an Israeli dance form. The choreographers draw inspiration from such sources as the practice of people-watching, the stages of a relationship, and “mental hesitation,” among others.
Choreographer Karlie Lynn Zabin ’20 created a piece titled “Kayamim (Exist),” based on her exploration of her Jewish identity as well as her experiences in Israel. The piece blends the Israeli dance form of Gaga, created by choreographer Ohad Naharin, and modern dance. “My rehearsal process has been such a beautiful collaborative experience,” Zabin says. “Many of my conversations with the dancers have revolved around identity and what it means to be in a piece about going ‘home’ or back to our roots. I hope the audience will see five strong women who are seeing both themselves and each other.”
“Dance Emerge” runs April 11-14 in the Studio Theatre, Trexler Pavilion for Theatre & Dance, Muhlenberg College, 2400 Chew St., Allentown. Performances are Thursday and Friday, April 11-12, at 8 p.m.; Saturday, April 13, at 2 and 8 p.m.; and Sunday, April 14, at 2 p.m. Tickets are $15 for adults; $8 for patrons 17 and under; and $8 for students, faculty and staff of all LVAIC colleges. Tickets and information are available at 484-664-3333 or muhlenberg.edu/dance.
- The 9th Philly Tango Fest to take place Memorial Day Weekend, May 24 – 27, 2019 - April 17, 2019
- Bryn Mawr College Dance Program Spring Concert, April 26-27 - April 16, 2019
- Reflection:Response Commission 2019 awarded to Marion Ramírez - April 2, 2019
- The Annenberg Center presents BODYTRAFFIC and A Million Voices choreographed by Matthew Neenan, April 26-27 - March 30, 2019
- The Lady Hoofers’ Annual Spring Concert – On Tap, May 4th - March 20, 2019
- The air is describing us, May 10-11 - March 15, 2019
- FringeArts announces open call to participate in large-scale public dance processional, Úumbal: Nomadic Choreography for Inhabitants - March 5, 2019
- Dawn Marie Bazemore’s DanceVisions Residency Concert, April 19-20 - March 4, 2019
- SHARP Dance Company to perform 669, April 13 - March 3, 2019
- Dance Emerge at Muhlenberg, April 11-14 - March 2, 2019