The Kimmel Center Cultural Campus’ esteemed Resident Company, PHILADANCO, returns to the Kimmel Center’s Perelman Theater Friday, April 12 through Sunday, April 14, 2019 with an all new-production entitled Dance Philly Style, a celebration of Philadelphia’s contribution to the dance world.
“PHILADANCO consistently blows us away year after year with innovative and artistic performances,” said Anne Ewers, President, and CEO of the Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts. “This year, Philly legend Joan Myers Brown has constructed a new show that is uniquely Philadelphian, a testament to choreographers who have honed their craft in our city.”
PHILADANCO is lauded for its ability to use the power of dance to address important topical issues in an accessible way. For Dance Philly Style, Joan Myers Brown, the company’s vivacious founder, has crafted a show featuring acclaimed choreographers whose unique vision and style have shaped Philadelphia dance and influenced the art form worldwide; she specifically has chosen work from Philly-made choreographers, including an audience favorite from the late Gene Hill Sagan and exciting premieres from Rennie Harris and Dawn Marie Bazemore. The performance will also feature choreography from Anthony Burrell, known for his work on Beyoncé’s music videos “Formation,” “Sorry,” and her Super Bowl 50 performance. The work of these artists touches on African American traditions, socio-political issues, and other culturally-relevant themes.
PHILADANCO: Dance Philly Style
April 12 – 14, 2019
Tickets are on sale now and can be purchased by calling 215-893-1999, online at www.kimmelcenter.org, or at the Kimmel Center Box Office.
- The Pew Center for Arts & Heritage Announces 2019 Grants for Philadelphia Artists, Organizations - October 21, 2019
- Kun-Yang Lin/Dancers (KYL/D) Announces Four New Dance Artists for the 2019/2020 season - October 11, 2019
- SUPPER, People on the Move! performed by the Cardell Dance Theater comes to Drexel, Nov 8-10 - October 9, 2019
- Koresh 6th Annual Come Together Dance Festival, November 20-24 - October 9, 2019
- Taj Express: The Bollywood Musical Revue, Nov 14 - October 7, 2019
- SHARP Dance Company takes A Trip Back to the Original Woodstock with their home season revival of Aquarian Exposition, Nov 1-3 - October 7, 2019
- The Annenberg Center Presents Stars of American Ballet, Oct 18-19 - October 4, 2019
- Patawili creates a space for Filipino Philadelphians through dance, Oct 18 & 20 - October 4, 2019
- Get What You Need – a new city wide performance support platform for dance - October 3, 2019
- American Repertory Ballet names Ian Hussey as new Ballet Master - September 30, 2019