The Kimmel Center Cultural Campus’ esteemed Resident Company, PHILADANCO, returns to the Kimmel Center’s Perelman Theater Friday, April 12 through Sunday, April 14, 2019 with an all new-production entitled Dance Philly Style, a celebration of Philadelphia’s contribution to the dance world.
“PHILADANCO consistently blows us away year after year with innovative and artistic performances,” said Anne Ewers, President, and CEO of the Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts. “This year, Philly legend Joan Myers Brown has constructed a new show that is uniquely Philadelphian, a testament to choreographers who have honed their craft in our city.”
PHILADANCO is lauded for its ability to use the power of dance to address important topical issues in an accessible way. For Dance Philly Style, Joan Myers Brown, the company’s vivacious founder, has crafted a show featuring acclaimed choreographers whose unique vision and style have shaped Philadelphia dance and influenced the art form worldwide; she specifically has chosen work from Philly-made choreographers, including an audience favorite from the late Gene Hill Sagan and exciting premieres from Rennie Harris and Dawn Marie Bazemore. The performance will also feature choreography from Anthony Burrell, known for his work on Beyoncé’s music videos “Formation,” “Sorry,” and her Super Bowl 50 performance. The work of these artists touches on African American traditions, socio-political issues, and other culturally-relevant themes.
PHILADANCO: Dance Philly Style
April 12 – 14, 2019
Tickets are on sale now and can be purchased by calling 215-893-1999, online at www.kimmelcenter.org, or at the Kimmel Center Box Office.
- Philadelphia’s Rennie Harris Receives 2020 Doris Duke Artist Award - September 17, 2020
- Choreographer, Tommie-Waheed Evans to be featured in PDP’s Informance, Oct 14th - September 14, 2020
- The Way Out: pandemic-proof live Fringe show in a graveyard, Oct.1-3 - September 9, 2020
- Connecting the Distance takes you on a dance video interactive walking tour, Sept 10 – Oct 4 - September 4, 2020
- Britt Whitmoyer Fishel brings allowed|aloud to FringeArts, Oct 2-4 - September 1, 2020
- Evalina “Wally” Carbonell and Weiwei Ma present BLOOD, Sept 24-27 - August 30, 2020
- Take It Away Dance returns to the Philly Fringe with a full month of tap dance and jazz music concerts live-streamed on Sunday afternoons - August 11, 2020
- Coming to FringeArts – Pasion y Arte’s Sevillana Get Togethers 2020, Sept 17 – Oct 4 - August 11, 2020
- Choreographer Megan Mazarick launches PDP’S online Informance series, Sept 9th - August 10, 2020
- BalletX Goes Virtual with BalletX Beyond for Its 15th Anniversary Season - July 28, 2020