The Kimmel Center Cultural Campus’ esteemed Resident Company, PHILADANCO, returns to the Kimmel Center’s Perelman Theater Friday, April 12 through Sunday, April 14, 2019 with an all new-production entitled Dance Philly Style, a celebration of Philadelphia’s contribution to the dance world.
“PHILADANCO consistently blows us away year after year with innovative and artistic performances,” said Anne Ewers, President, and CEO of the Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts. “This year, Philly legend Joan Myers Brown has constructed a new show that is uniquely Philadelphian, a testament to choreographers who have honed their craft in our city.”
PHILADANCO is lauded for its ability to use the power of dance to address important topical issues in an accessible way. For Dance Philly Style, Joan Myers Brown, the company’s vivacious founder, has crafted a show featuring acclaimed choreographers whose unique vision and style have shaped Philadelphia dance and influenced the art form worldwide; she specifically has chosen work from Philly-made choreographers, including an audience favorite from the late Gene Hill Sagan and exciting premieres from Rennie Harris and Dawn Marie Bazemore. The performance will also feature choreography from Anthony Burrell, known for his work on Beyoncé’s music videos “Formation,” “Sorry,” and her Super Bowl 50 performance. The work of these artists touches on African American traditions, socio-political issues, and other culturally-relevant themes.
PHILADANCO: Dance Philly Style
April 12 – 14, 2019
Tickets are on sale now and can be purchased by calling 215-893-1999, online at www.kimmelcenter.org, or at the Kimmel Center Box Office.
- Works choreographed by Bryan Koulman, featuring dancers of the Pennsylvania Ballet, June 6-8 - May 8, 2019
- BalletX Presents Summer Series 2019 featuring The Little Prince by choreographer Annabelle Lopez Ochoa - May 7, 2019
- Philadelphia hip-hop legend Rennie Harris’ new work Funkedified, June 7-8 - May 7, 2019
- Almanac Dance Circus Theatre Brings Back Communitas: Five Years Later May 16-25 - May 7, 2019
- The Annenberg Center Presents Season-Closer, Parsons Dance, May 10-11 - May 6, 2019
- Tori Lawrence + Co. returns to Philadelphia with a preview of JUNKSPACE, May 12 - May 6, 2019
- The air is describing us, May 10-11 - April 30, 2019
- The Lady Hoofers’ Annual Spring Concert – On Tap, May 4th - April 20, 2019
- The 9th Philly Tango Fest to take place Memorial Day Weekend, May 24 – 27, 2019 - April 17, 2019
- Bryn Mawr College Dance Program Spring Concert, April 26-27 - April 16, 2019