The Kimmel Center Cultural Campus’ esteemed Resident Company, PHILADANCO, returns to the Kimmel Center’s Perelman Theater Friday, April 12 through Sunday, April 14, 2019 with an all new-production entitled Dance Philly Style, a celebration of Philadelphia’s contribution to the dance world.
“PHILADANCO consistently blows us away year after year with innovative and artistic performances,” said Anne Ewers, President, and CEO of the Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts. “This year, Philly legend Joan Myers Brown has constructed a new show that is uniquely Philadelphian, a testament to choreographers who have honed their craft in our city.”
PHILADANCO is lauded for its ability to use the power of dance to address important topical issues in an accessible way. For Dance Philly Style, Joan Myers Brown, the company’s vivacious founder, has crafted a show featuring acclaimed choreographers whose unique vision and style have shaped Philadelphia dance and influenced the art form worldwide; she specifically has chosen work from Philly-made choreographers, including an audience favorite from the late Gene Hill Sagan and exciting premieres from Rennie Harris and Dawn Marie Bazemore. The performance will also feature choreography from Anthony Burrell, known for his work on Beyoncé’s music videos “Formation,” “Sorry,” and her Super Bowl 50 performance. The work of these artists touches on African American traditions, socio-political issues, and other culturally-relevant themes.
PHILADANCO: Dance Philly Style
April 12 – 14, 2019
Tickets are on sale now and can be purchased by calling 215-893-1999, online at www.kimmelcenter.org, or at the Kimmel Center Box Office.
- Christina Castro-Tauser named executive director of International Ballet Exchange - July 7, 2020
- Koresh Continues Its Weekend Streaming Performance Series June 26-July 13 - June 23, 2020
- Fidget Participates in Inaugural Residency with Under Construction Arts - June 19, 2020
- BalletX Welcomes New Dance Fellow Shawn Cusseaux - June 17, 2020
- The Performance Garage Announces The 2020/21 DanceVisions’ Resident Artist, Joe González - June 15, 2020
- Roni Koresh short film series: HIDE YOUR FACE/UNMASK YOUR HEART, June 12-14 - June 12, 2020
- BalletX to Premiere Four Short Dance Films by Choreographers Hope Boykin, Rena Butler, Caili Quan, and Penny Saunders, June 14 - June 12, 2020
- Movers and Makers: Philadanco Turns 50, June 18 - June 10, 2020
- BalletX Spring and Summer Series 2020 Canceled - May 27, 2020
- Ballet, movement, imagination, and more with ZoomDance - May 18, 2020