After a rough start from the previous weekend due to inclement weather, Sammy Reyes was finally able to present Social Compass to a packed house at the Koresh Black Box Theater. Social Compass was designed as a public announcement or perhaps more so a warning dialogued through contemporary dance. The program featured a wide range of dance genres including modern, jazz, hip-hop, breakin, salsa, African, and house movement. Samuel Antonio Reyes added some theatrical lip-syncing and acting for good measure pulling the huge variety of pieces all together in a non-stop one-hour program designed to reflect the social climate of the day.
Choreographers included Samuel Antonio Reyes, Tony Azzaro, Tyria Saul, Tegan Schweitzer, Anwar Kahlil Jones, and Jesse Jones.
Dancers were Samuel Antonio Reyes, Tony Azzaro, Colleen Dougherty, Ryan Alexander, Natalie Flynn, Aleah Lynn, Anthony Michael, Zsa Zsa St. James, Anwar Kahlil Jones, Dylan Platt, Andrew Byun, Tegan Schweitzer, Lydia Di Lorio, Courtney Conigatti, Caitlin Green, Lauren Kali, Mary Frances Cavallaro, Alexis Lanzillo, and Tyria Saul.
- (RE) Frame – MFA Thesis Performance by Blanca Huertas-Agnew - February 17, 2019
- Sammy Reyes’ Social Compass - January 29, 2019
- First Sunday at The Barnes with Rhonda Moore and Christina Castro-Tauser - November 7, 2018
- The Philly Sirens bring change to the East Coast Dance World - October 17, 2018
- Ruckus Dance ventures to Philadelphia - September 23, 2018
- Truly A Fringe Gem in Kind & Metal’s Indestructible Flowers - September 23, 2018
- Celebrating Fierce Women at The Barnes’ Artist Bash - September 22, 2018
- A Break from Philly Fringe with Koresh Artist Showcase - September 17, 2018
- WeftWorks Before/After’s visual account of the environmental cost of consumerism - September 17, 2018
- Dancefusion’s MOVING with a tribute to legendary choreographer Anna Sokolow - September 16, 2018