On February 19, 20, and 21, 2019, over three hundred 3rd and 4th grade students from four Philadelphia public schools will participate in the program-culminating FREE dance performances of BalletX’s annual Dance eXchange program at Drexel University’s Mandell Theater. The Feb. 19th performance will feature students from Chester A. Arthur and Vare Washington School, with students from Albert M. Greenfield School performing on Feb. 20, and students from Bache-Martin School performing Feb. 21. Each show will conclude with a performance by the BalletX dancers, named “among America’s best” by The New York Times. All three performances take place 6:30pm-7:30pm, and are free and open to the public. Community members interested in attending can RSVP at: https://www.balletx.org/dance-exchange/
“The student performances are one of the bright highlights of BalletX’s Dance eXchange season,” said Christine Cox, Artistic & Executive Director of BalletX. “The program continues to grow, reaching more and more Philadelphia public school students each year. I am so proud of our teaching artists who lead this exciting dance program in our schools. They form a wonderful bond with the students, learning together how they can shine through dance and music.”
Dance eXchange, a program developed by BalletX, offers in-classroom dance instruction to students of the School District of Philadelphia, based on the pedagogy of New York City’s National Dance Institute (NDI) and inspired by the artistry of BalletX. The program runs annually October-February. NDI’s training provides dance educators with a unique skill set to teach students the fundamentals of dance and performance by integrating a curricular theme, and concluding each program with a final performance. Students also hone their critical and creative thinking skills as their dance techniques develop.
The curricular theme of 2018-19’s Dance eXchange program and final performance is the Rivers of the World, based on BalletX’s Yonder, a ballet by Dutch choreographer Wubkje Kuindersma, which features many water themes, including movement that resembles waves and rising sea levels. As part of the Dance eXchange curriculum, students attended a BalletX performance of Yonder at the Wilma in December. Students also studied some of the major rivers of the world, including the Amazon, Ganges, the Rio Grande, and Philadelphia’s own Delaware River, through various classroom projects incorporating dance, music, geography, cultural studies, personal narratives and poetry. Audiences at the final student performance will be treated to the imaginative way, in which the student dancers have interwoven river themes into the choreography and their dancing.
Dance eXchange is generously funded by the William Penn Foundation, Leo Model Foundation, Zeldin Family Foundation, Dolfinger-McMahon Foundation, Henrietta Tower Wurts Memorial, Loeb Performing Arts Fund, Virginia and Harvey Kimmel Arts Education Fund, Marc & Megan Vetri.
Tuesday, February 19, 6:30pm-7:30pm
Wednesday, February 20, 6:30pm-7:30pm
Thursday, February 21, 6:30pm-7:30pm
RSVP Online at https://www.balletx.org/dance-exchange/
- Philly Kerplop, a supercrew of all styles dancers and musicians, presents Blaow! Cosmos? - November 16, 2019
- Lightbox Film Center Celebrates Legacy of Ed Emshwiller in First-of-its-Kind Retrospective Exhibit - November 11, 2019
- Project Moshen Tackles Ovarian Cancer with Excerpts - October 29, 2019
- The Pew Center for Arts & Heritage Announces 2019 Grants for Philadelphia Artists, Organizations - October 21, 2019
- Kun-Yang Lin/Dancers (KYL/D) Announces Four New Dance Artists for the 2019/2020 season - October 11, 2019
- Koresh 6th Annual Come Together Dance Festival, November 20-24 - October 9, 2019
- Metropolitan Ballet Company presents Peter Pan, Nov 23-24 - October 7, 2019
- Perspectives A Presentation of New Work by Temple University Dance B.F.A. Seniors, Nov 22-23 - October 7, 2019
- The Lady Hoofers Tap Ensemble Establishes Residence On Broad Street With The Tapcracker, Dec 14-15 - October 6, 2019
- Taj Express: The Bollywood Musical Revue, Nov 14 - October 5, 2019