On Saturday, December 1, 2018, Kulu Mele African Dance & Drum Ensemble, a Philadelphia cultural institution for nearly 50 years, will premiere an all-new show of traditional West African dance and drumming, plus Afro-Cuban works and hip hop. This highly celebratory event is appropriate for all ages and is the perfect way to begin a season of celebrations.
Philadelphia arts writer Lew Whittington (The Dance Journal) called Kulu Mele’s 2017 show “an altogether dazzling artistic journey.”
Dorothy Wilkie, Kulu Mele’s artistic director for more than 30 years, assures that this year’s show will be even more spectacular. “Kulu Mele just returned from studying Afro-Cuban dance and drumming in Santiago de Cuba, thanks to major support from the Pew Center for Arts & Heritage,” said Wilkie. “This all-new show features several spectacular Afro-Cuban works that reflect our appreciation of the love we received in Cuba,” she added.
Kulu Mele presents Journey
Saturday, December 1, 2018 • 7:00 p.m.
Kurtz Center for the Performing Arts, 3000 West School House Lane, Philadelphia
Tickets: $30 adults / $15 students & children
Online at www.danceboxoffice.com/?page_id=1532 or at the door
Photo Credit: Jaci Downs | Pictured: Edward Smallwood
- The 9th Philly Tango Fest to take place Memorial Day Weekend, May 24 – 27, 2019 - April 17, 2019
- Bryn Mawr College Dance Program Spring Concert, April 26-27 - April 16, 2019
- Reflection:Response Commission 2019 awarded to Marion Ramírez - April 2, 2019
- The Annenberg Center presents BODYTRAFFIC and A Million Voices choreographed by Matthew Neenan, April 26-27 - March 30, 2019
- The Lady Hoofers’ Annual Spring Concert – On Tap, May 4th - March 20, 2019
- The air is describing us, May 10-11 - March 15, 2019
- FringeArts announces open call to participate in large-scale public dance processional, Úumbal: Nomadic Choreography for Inhabitants - March 5, 2019
- Dawn Marie Bazemore’s DanceVisions Residency Concert, April 19-20 - March 4, 2019
- SHARP Dance Company to perform 669, April 13 - March 3, 2019
- Dance Emerge at Muhlenberg, April 11-14 - March 2, 2019