On Saturday, December 1, 2018, Kulu Mele African Dance & Drum Ensemble, a Philadelphia cultural institution for nearly 50 years, will premiere an all-new show of traditional West African dance and drumming, plus Afro-Cuban works and hip hop. This highly celebratory event is appropriate for all ages and is the perfect way to begin a season of celebrations.
Philadelphia arts writer Lew Whittington (The Dance Journal) called Kulu Mele’s 2017 show “an altogether dazzling artistic journey.”
Dorothy Wilkie, Kulu Mele’s artistic director for more than 30 years, assures that this year’s show will be even more spectacular. “Kulu Mele just returned from studying Afro-Cuban dance and drumming in Santiago de Cuba, thanks to major support from the Pew Center for Arts & Heritage,” said Wilkie. “This all-new show features several spectacular Afro-Cuban works that reflect our appreciation of the love we received in Cuba,” she added.
Kulu Mele presents Journey
Saturday, December 1, 2018 • 7:00 p.m.
Kurtz Center for the Performing Arts, 3000 West School House Lane, Philadelphia
Tickets: $30 adults / $15 students & children
Online at www.danceboxoffice.com/?page_id=1532 or at the door
Photo Credit: Jaci Downs | Pictured: Edward Smallwood
- Polish Dance Artists Residency at Mascher Dance - November 29, 2018
- Annenberg Center Live Presents the Philadelphia Debut of Caleb Teicher & Company, Dec 14-15 - November 27, 2018
- Bryn Mawr College Performing Arts Series Presents Abby Z and the New Utility, Dec 7-8 - November 25, 2018
- Final Bow for Jessica Lang Dance at Annenberg Center Live, Nov 30-Dec 1 - November 19, 2018
- Kulu Mele African Dance & Drum Ensemble premieres Journey, Dec 1 - November 16, 2018
- The Lady Hoofers Kick Off the Holiday Season with The Tapcracker, Dec 8 - November 5, 2018
- Pennsylvania Ballet Celebrates 50 Years of Performing The Nutcracker - November 2, 2018
- Pennsylvania Ballet Petite Mort, Nov 8-11 - October 31, 2018
- SHARP Dance Company presents FAÇADE, November 2-4 - October 17, 2018
- Kun-Yang Lin/Dancers Fall Season Highlights New Works, Nov 9-10 - October 16, 2018