On Saturday, December 1, 2018, Kulu Mele African Dance & Drum Ensemble, a Philadelphia cultural institution for nearly 50 years, will premiere an all-new show of traditional West African dance and drumming, plus Afro-Cuban works and hip hop. This highly celebratory event is appropriate for all ages and is the perfect way to begin a season of celebrations.
Philadelphia arts writer Lew Whittington (The Dance Journal) called Kulu Mele’s 2017 show “an altogether dazzling artistic journey.”
Dorothy Wilkie, Kulu Mele’s artistic director for more than 30 years, assures that this year’s show will be even more spectacular. “Kulu Mele just returned from studying Afro-Cuban dance and drumming in Santiago de Cuba, thanks to major support from the Pew Center for Arts & Heritage,” said Wilkie. “This all-new show features several spectacular Afro-Cuban works that reflect our appreciation of the love we received in Cuba,” she added.
Kulu Mele presents Journey
Saturday, December 1, 2018 • 7:00 p.m.
Kurtz Center for the Performing Arts, 3000 West School House Lane, Philadelphia
Tickets: $30 adults / $15 students & children
Online at www.danceboxoffice.com/?page_id=1532 or at the door
Photo Credit: Jaci Downs | Pictured: Edward Smallwood
- Lightbox Film Center Celebrates Legacy of Ed Emshwiller in First-of-its-Kind Retrospective Exhibit - November 11, 2019
- Project Moshen Tackles Ovarian Cancer with Excerpts - October 29, 2019
- The Pew Center for Arts & Heritage Announces 2019 Grants for Philadelphia Artists, Organizations - October 21, 2019
- Kun-Yang Lin/Dancers (KYL/D) Announces Four New Dance Artists for the 2019/2020 season - October 11, 2019
- SUPPER, People on the Move! performed by the Cardell Dance Theater comes to Drexel, Nov 8-10 - October 9, 2019
- Koresh 6th Annual Come Together Dance Festival, November 20-24 - October 9, 2019
- Metropolitan Ballet Company presents Peter Pan, Nov 23-24 - October 7, 2019
- Taj Express: The Bollywood Musical Revue, Nov 14 - October 7, 2019
- SHARP Dance Company takes A Trip Back to the Original Woodstock with their home season revival of Aquarian Exposition, Nov 1-3 - October 7, 2019
- Perspectives A Presentation of New Work by Temple University Dance B.F.A. Seniors, Nov 22-23 - October 7, 2019