After last year’s sell-out production, The Lady Hoofers Tap Ensemble is proud to present The Tapcracker for the second year running. The full-length, all tap version of the classic holiday favorite is set for Saturday, December 8 at the Suzanne Roberts Theatre with shows at 2:00 and 7:00pm. The 90-minute, family-friendly concert will feature a talented cast of over 35 dancers from the ensemble’s First Company, Apprentice Company, and Youth Ensemble.
Set to the music of both Tchaikovsky and Duke Ellington, The Tapcracker transports audiences to Paris, where an infestation of rats has thrown the city into chaos. Toy soldiers guard the Eiffel Tower, mice wreak havoc in the Metro, and frazzled chefs prepare for a feast at the magical palace of Versailles, featuring characters from the beloved Land of the Sweets.
This year’s production features a particularly high level of technique, notably Youth Ensemble dancers Rickia Dallam as The Tapcracker and Mia Valeriote as The Mouse Queen. “Initially, we envisioned the role of the Mouse Queen as a much younger dancer,” explains Artistic Director Kat Richter. “When we saw Rickia and Mia interact at auditions, we knew we had the opportunity for a real tap improvisation battle onstage as the two characters fight for Clara’s friendship and for the control of the Eiffel Tower.” First Company dancer Britney Kennedy will step into the lead role of the Queen of Versailles to settle the score between the young dancers.
Also new this year, The Lady Hoofers will host a VIP Reception prior to the evening performance. Admittance to the reception includes refreshments, and guests will have the opportunity to mingle with directors and choreographers, learn more about the company’s programming, and relax in the second story lounge of the Suzanne Roberts Theatre.
Last year’s performances sold out nearly a month in advance, and the ensemble expects a similar crowd this year. “Many people attend performances of The Nutcracker year after year as part of their holiday traditions,” notes Managing Director Katie Budris. “It’s truly a joy to able to offer an all-tap alternative that can get audiences into the spirit of the season in a more contemporary and rhythmic way.”
Saturday, December 8th at 2:00pm
Saturday, December 8th at 7:00pm
Suzanne Roberts Theater, 480 S Broad Street , Philadelphia
Tickets: $25 – $35 at https://the-lady-hoofers.ticketleap.com/tapcracker2018/
- Annie Wilson returns to the 2019 Fringe Festival with bilialien - August 26, 2019
- Reflection:Response Choreographic Commission 2019 features kNots and Nests by Marion Ramírez - August 25, 2019
- Agama Indian Classical Arts Festival comes to Philadelphia, Sept 6-8 - August 21, 2019
- HONEY Dances on the search for sweetness, Sept 13-15 - August 20, 2019
- Elba Hevia y Vaca’s La Bolivianita to premiere at 2019 Fringe Festival, Sept 19-22 - August 13, 2019
- 2019 Women in Dance Leadership Conference , October 17-19 - August 12, 2019
- Ani/Malayaworks and Drum Like a Lady present Sunset CypHER at Bartram’s Garden, Sept 21 - August 10, 2019
- Lyons and Tigers presents Proceed with Caution in the 2019 Philadelphia Fringe Festival, Sept 20-22 - August 10, 2019
- the after-image debuts in Philly with RE: SHE a litany of adventures, Sept 13-22 - August 10, 2019
- Leah Stein Dance Company premieres Close to Home, Sept 21-29 - August 10, 2019