After last year’s sell-out production, The Lady Hoofers Tap Ensemble is proud to present The Tapcracker for the second year running. The full-length, all tap version of the classic holiday favorite is set for Saturday, December 8 at the Suzanne Roberts Theatre with shows at 2:00 and 7:00pm. The 90-minute, family-friendly concert will feature a talented cast of over 35 dancers from the ensemble’s First Company, Apprentice Company, and Youth Ensemble.
Set to the music of both Tchaikovsky and Duke Ellington, The Tapcracker transports audiences to Paris, where an infestation of rats has thrown the city into chaos. Toy soldiers guard the Eiffel Tower, mice wreak havoc in the Metro, and frazzled chefs prepare for a feast at the magical palace of Versailles, featuring characters from the beloved Land of the Sweets.
This year’s production features a particularly high level of technique, notably Youth Ensemble dancers Rickia Dallam as The Tapcracker and Mia Valeriote as The Mouse Queen. “Initially, we envisioned the role of the Mouse Queen as a much younger dancer,” explains Artistic Director Kat Richter. “When we saw Rickia and Mia interact at auditions, we knew we had the opportunity for a real tap improvisation battle onstage as the two characters fight for Clara’s friendship and for the control of the Eiffel Tower.” First Company dancer Britney Kennedy will step into the lead role of the Queen of Versailles to settle the score between the young dancers.
Also new this year, The Lady Hoofers will host a VIP Reception prior to the evening performance. Admittance to the reception includes refreshments, and guests will have the opportunity to mingle with directors and choreographers, learn more about the company’s programming, and relax in the second story lounge of the Suzanne Roberts Theatre.
Last year’s performances sold out nearly a month in advance, and the ensemble expects a similar crowd this year. “Many people attend performances of The Nutcracker year after year as part of their holiday traditions,” notes Managing Director Katie Budris. “It’s truly a joy to able to offer an all-tap alternative that can get audiences into the spirit of the season in a more contemporary and rhythmic way.”
Saturday, December 8th at 2:00pm
Saturday, December 8th at 7:00pm
Suzanne Roberts Theater, 480 S Broad Street , Philadelphia
Tickets: $25 – $35 at https://the-lady-hoofers.ticketleap.com/tapcracker2018/
- FringeArts announces open call to participate in large-scale public dance processional, Úumbal: Nomadic Choreography for Inhabitants - March 5, 2019
- Stone Depot presents Twos & Threes, March 29th - March 5, 2019
- PyA presents Marcando el Terreno – Flamenco and Feminism, April 6-7 - March 3, 2019
- SHARP Dance Company to perform 669, April 13 - March 2, 2019
- The Annenberg Center Live Announces 2019-20 Dance Season - March 1, 2019
- PHILADANCO, returns to the Kimmel Center with Dance Philly Style, a celebration of Philadelphia’s contribution to the dance world, April 12-14 - February 28, 2019
- Italy’s awe-inspiring NoGravity Dance Company to perform From Hell to Paradise at the Kimmel Center, April 20th - February 28, 2019
- Koresh Dance Company to premiere La Danse, inspired by Matisse’s famous painting, April 25-28 - February 16, 2019
- Kun-Yang Lin/Dancers at Annenberg Center Live, April 12-13 - February 14, 2019
- Annenberg Center Live Presents Dance Theatre of Harlem, the 2018-19 Artist-in-Residence, March 1-2 - February 13, 2019