After last year’s sell-out production, The Lady Hoofers Tap Ensemble is proud to present The Tapcracker for the second year running. The full-length, all tap version of the classic holiday favorite is set for Saturday, December 8 at the Suzanne Roberts Theatre with shows at 2:00 and 7:00pm. The 90-minute, family-friendly concert will feature a talented cast of over 35 dancers from the ensemble’s First Company, Apprentice Company, and Youth Ensemble.
Set to the music of both Tchaikovsky and Duke Ellington, The Tapcracker transports audiences to Paris, where an infestation of rats has thrown the city into chaos. Toy soldiers guard the Eiffel Tower, mice wreak havoc in the Metro, and frazzled chefs prepare for a feast at the magical palace of Versailles, featuring characters from the beloved Land of the Sweets.
This year’s production features a particularly high level of technique, notably Youth Ensemble dancers Rickia Dallam as The Tapcracker and Mia Valeriote as The Mouse Queen. “Initially, we envisioned the role of the Mouse Queen as a much younger dancer,” explains Artistic Director Kat Richter. “When we saw Rickia and Mia interact at auditions, we knew we had the opportunity for a real tap improvisation battle onstage as the two characters fight for Clara’s friendship and for the control of the Eiffel Tower.” First Company dancer Britney Kennedy will step into the lead role of the Queen of Versailles to settle the score between the young dancers.
Also new this year, The Lady Hoofers will host a VIP Reception prior to the evening performance. Admittance to the reception includes refreshments, and guests will have the opportunity to mingle with directors and choreographers, learn more about the company’s programming, and relax in the second story lounge of the Suzanne Roberts Theatre.
Last year’s performances sold out nearly a month in advance, and the ensemble expects a similar crowd this year. “Many people attend performances of The Nutcracker year after year as part of their holiday traditions,” notes Managing Director Katie Budris. “It’s truly a joy to able to offer an all-tap alternative that can get audiences into the spirit of the season in a more contemporary and rhythmic way.”
Saturday, December 8th at 2:00pm
Saturday, December 8th at 7:00pm
Suzanne Roberts Theater, 480 S Broad Street , Philadelphia
Tickets: $25 – $35 at https://the-lady-hoofers.ticketleap.com/tapcracker2018/
- REALMS: A Soul Opera at Philadelphia Museum of Art - July 22, 2019
- Yvonne Rainer’s Lives of Performers + Trio A with Introduction by Philadelphia Dance Projects’ Terry Fox - July 14, 2019
- Big Teeth Performance Collective’s Ordinary Creatures, July 19 - June 30, 2019
- 2019 Fringe Festival Curated Programming for Dance - June 13, 2019
- Almanac Dance Circus Theatre presents The Return of xoxo moongirl June 14-23 - June 6, 2019
- BalletX’s First-Ever Block Party - May 28, 2019
- Philadanco’s 50 Year Legacy - May 28, 2019
- BalletX Announces 2019-20 Season – 8 World Premieres - May 23, 2019
- Works choreographed by Bryan Koulman, featuring dancers of the Pennsylvania Ballet, June 6-8 - May 8, 2019
- BalletX Presents Summer Series 2019 featuring The Little Prince by choreographer Annabelle Lopez Ochoa - May 7, 2019