The Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts’ beloved Resident Company PHILADANCO will honor two longtime resident choreographers, Milton Myers and Christopher Huggins, in their inventive winter performance, PHILADANCO: Choreographers on the Move at the Perelman Theater, Friday, November 16 through Sunday, November 18, 2018. Spotlighting two pieces from each artist, Choreographers on the Move is a captivating tribute to the evolution of each choreographer in their craft, in a time of increased commercialization of dance in pop culture.
“Since their formation nearly 50 years ago, PHILADANCO has been a cherished part of the Philadelphia dance scene and one of our most anticipated shows each season,” said Ed Cambron, Executive Vice President of the Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts. “The celebrated company vibrantly paints a story on stage through their skilled choreography rooted in African American traditions in dance, touring both nationally and internationally.”
“Many choreographers today in efforts to please audiences are being influenced by what is being seen on TV competition shows,” said Joan Myers Brown, founder of PHILADANCO. “Creators of concert work have moved on with their work but I am seeking to learn how, and if, their current creations are still true to their aesthetic or are they moving forward being greatly influenced by what is deemed the new trends in dance.”
The Philadelphia Dance Company (PHILADANCO) presents the highest quality of professional dance performance and improves the skills of emerging and professional dancers and choreographers. PHILADANCO is celebrated across the nation and around the world for its innovation, creativity, and preservation of predominantly African American traditions in dance.
Milton Myers performed with Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater and was Director of the Trisler Danscompany for six years. He has taught for the Ballet Hispanico, New Danish Dance Theatre, Les Ballet Jazz de Montreal, Batsheva, Matthew Bourne’s Male Swan Lake Company on Broadway and Ballet Stagium in Brazil. He is a professional instructor for Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater, and is an instructor and resident choreographer for PHILADANCO. Mr. Myers is currently on faculty at the Juilliard School and the Ailey/Fordham B.F.A. program, and has taught throughout Europe, Israel, South America, South Africa, and Canada. He has choreographed for Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater, Judith Jamison, Carmen de Lavallade, Danish Dance Theater and PHILADANCO. He has been director of the modern and contemporary program at Jacob’s Pillow Dance Festival for 24 years. He has received honors for his artistry and contributions from The International Association of Blacks in Dance.
Christopher L. Huggins is a former member of Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater and works in Europe, Japan, the Caribbean, and throughout the U.S. as a dancer, teacher, and choreographer. Born in Boston, Huggins trained under Andrea Herbert-Major, Danny Sloan, and Martha Gray. He attended SUNY Purchase and The Juilliard School and was a scholarship student at The Ailey School. Mr. Huggins is a 2002 and 2008 recipient of the Alvin Ailey Award for Best Choreography from the Black Theater Alliance in Chicago for Enemy Behind the Gates and Pyrokinesis, respectively, and has also worked on several projects for Disney in Orlando, Florida. He was a silver medalist for the 4th International Contemporary Dance Competition in Seoul, Korea. In addition to commissions for Ailey II and The Ailey School, he has also set works on universities and high schools throughout the U.S. Anointed is Mr. Huggins’ first ballet for the Company.
PHILADANCO: CHOREOGRAPHERS ON THE MOVE
November 16 2018, 11:00 a.m. (Student Matinee) and 7:30 p.m.
November 17, 2018, 2:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
November 18, 2018, 2:30 p.m.
Tickets are on sale now and start at $10.00 Tickets can be purchased by calling 215-893-1999, online at www.kimmelcenter.org, or at the Kimmel Center Box Office.
- FringeArts announces open call to participate in large-scale public dance processional, Úumbal: Nomadic Choreography for Inhabitants - March 5, 2019
- Stone Depot presents Twos & Threes, March 29th - March 5, 2019
- PyA presents Marcando el Terreno – Flamenco and Feminism, April 6-7 - March 3, 2019
- SHARP Dance Company to perform 669, April 13 - March 2, 2019
- The Annenberg Center Live Announces 2019-20 Dance Season - March 1, 2019
- PHILADANCO, returns to the Kimmel Center with Dance Philly Style, a celebration of Philadelphia’s contribution to the dance world, April 12-14 - February 28, 2019
- Italy’s awe-inspiring NoGravity Dance Company to perform From Hell to Paradise at the Kimmel Center, April 20th - February 28, 2019
- Koresh Dance Company to premiere La Danse, inspired by Matisse’s famous painting, April 25-28 - February 16, 2019
- Kun-Yang Lin/Dancers at Annenberg Center Live, April 12-13 - February 14, 2019
- Annenberg Center Live Presents Dance Theatre of Harlem, the 2018-19 Artist-in-Residence, March 1-2 - February 13, 2019