by Steven Weisz for The Dance Journal
I hate to admit it, but it has been a while since I have seen Gwendolyn Bye’s company, Dancefusion perform. The company, founded in 1987, has been a staple of the Philadelphia dance community but does not often get the recognition it so deserves. Between their annual home season and over thirty years of residencies, the company has reconstructed historic works by legendary American modern dance choreographers as well as offered new works by both Gwendolyn Bye and the dancers and choreographers she nurtures in her West Philadelphia studio. Such was the case with this years’ Fringe presentation which offered works by the legendary Anna Sokolow but also with three new works by Jennifer Yackel, Omar-Frederick Pratt, and Camille Halsey. It was truly a MOVING program, and while the Fringe run has concluded, if you have an opportunity to catch this company at other times during the year, I highly recommend it!
Company Dancers: Caroline Butcher, Camille Halsey, Roslynn Renee Johnson, Kate Lombardi, Janet Pilla Marini, Omar-Frederick Pratt, Julia Spooner, Gabrielle Wright, Jennifer D. Yackel.
Guest Dancers: Zaki Marshall and Lamar Rogers
Sokolow Theater/Dance Ensemble: Ilana Cohen, Eron Gottwald, I-Nam Jiemvitayanukoon, Boonyarith Pankamdech, elisa Schreiber, Melissa Sobel and Brock Switzer.
- Trump Bans All Public Dance Performances - September 7, 2020
- More Stories From the Dance Front Lines – Checking Back In - July 25, 2020
- Editorial: The Looming Arts Crisis - July 21, 2020
- Are Dance Studios Opening Safely? - July 6, 2020
- Meg Foley named finalist in The National Dance Project (NDP) Grant - June 18, 2020
- Philadelphia City Council approved a preliminary budget that restores some funding back to the Cultural Fund - June 18, 2020
- Presenting Dance As We Consider Reopening Post-Pandemic - May 20, 2020
- Stories From The Dance Front Lines - May 13, 2020
- Severe Budget Cuts To The Arts In Philadelphia Will Have A Much Wider Impact Than Just Our Economic Recovery - May 2, 2020
- WEEK 4 WINNER – SOLO BUT NOT ALONE, Online Dance Festival – Seaworthy - April 25, 2020