by Steven Weisz for The Dance Journal
I hate to admit it, but it has been a while since I have seen Gwendolyn Bye’s company, Dancefusion perform. The company, founded in 1987, has been a staple of the Philadelphia dance community but does not often get the recognition it so deserves. Between their annual home season and over thirty years of residencies, the company has reconstructed historic works by legendary American modern dance choreographers as well as offered new works by both Gwendolyn Bye and the dancers and choreographers she nurtures in her West Philadelphia studio. Such was the case with this years’ Fringe presentation which offered works by the legendary Anna Sokolow but also with three new works by Jennifer Yackel, Omar-Frederick Pratt, and Camille Halsey. It was truly a MOVING program, and while the Fringe run has concluded, if you have an opportunity to catch this company at other times during the year, I highly recommend it!
Company Dancers: Caroline Butcher, Camille Halsey, Roslynn Renee Johnson, Kate Lombardi, Janet Pilla Marini, Omar-Frederick Pratt, Julia Spooner, Gabrielle Wright, Jennifer D. Yackel.
Guest Dancers: Zaki Marshall and Lamar Rogers
Sokolow Theater/Dance Ensemble: Ilana Cohen, Eron Gottwald, I-Nam Jiemvitayanukoon, Boonyarith Pankamdech, elisa Schreiber, Melissa Sobel and Brock Switzer.
- Les Ballets Jazz de Montréal’s Tribute to Leonard Cohen with Dance With Me - March 9, 2019
- (RE) Frame – MFA Thesis Performance by Blanca Huertas-Agnew - February 17, 2019
- Sammy Reyes’ Social Compass - January 29, 2019
- First Sunday at The Barnes with Rhonda Moore and Christina Castro-Tauser - November 7, 2018
- The Philly Sirens bring change to the East Coast Dance World - October 17, 2018
- Ruckus Dance ventures to Philadelphia - September 23, 2018
- Truly A Fringe Gem in Kind & Metal’s Indestructible Flowers - September 23, 2018
- Celebrating Fierce Women at The Barnes’ Artist Bash - September 22, 2018
- A Break from Philly Fringe with Koresh Artist Showcase - September 17, 2018
- WeftWorks Before/After’s visual account of the environmental cost of consumerism - September 17, 2018