Dance theater company WeftWorks returns to the Philadelphia Fringe Festival with Before/After, a brand new show featuring costumes, props, and puppet creatures made out of discarded objects and repurposed packaging materials. The production is divided into two parts. The first, Before/, explores how our hyper-connected, on-demand culture impacts our relationship to self, others, & nature. Why, when anything can be acquired with a click, do we still feel empty? The second part, /After, imagines the resurgence of nature in a post-industrial world— where humans have either evolved into new forms, or have become extinct.
The cast includes dancers Caitlin Green, Shizu Homma, Olivia Wood, and Neimyiah Whittley-Jones as well as theater artist Rebecca Love. The production also features video by filmmaker Chris Hallock. Artistic Director and fiber artist Sarah Carr has transformed bubble wrap, plastic bags, discarded water bottles, and other repurposed materials into costumes and creatures, including a bird with an eight-foot wing span and a starfish-like puppet that requires five people to operate! The emphasis on reclaimed materials is meant to provide a visual account of the environmental cost of consumerism, but also shows how, with creativity and ingenuity, a new world can be constructed from the things we thoughtlessly discard.
Before/After is presented as part of the Philadelphia Fringe Festival, a citywide celebration of innovation and creativity in contemporary performance. Show times are Saturday, September 15 at 7 PM and 9 PM, and Sunday, September 16 at 2 PM and 7 PM. All performances take place at the CHI Movement Arts Center in South Philadelphia, on South 9th Street between Wharton and Reed (near Pat’s and Geno’s). Tickets are available through FringeArts, and can be purchased at this link, http://fringearts.com/event/beforeafter or by calling (215) 413- 1318.
- Boyer College of Music and Dance presents: Altered Tastes An MFA Thesis Concert by Megan Bridge & Rachel DeForrest Repinz, Nov 6 - October 22, 2020
- BalletX World Premiere Event Will Feature Three Short Films by Robbie Fairchild, Amy Hall Garner, Mariana Oliveira, Nov 18 - October 22, 2020
- Bryn Mawr College Dance Program presents The Porch: A Studio Dialogue with Nia Love and Fred Moten, Nov 12 - October 21, 2020
- Artist Chats with Roni Koresh: Creativity in Times of COVID - October 19, 2020
- PDP’s online Informances continue with Dr. Lynn Matluck Brooks, Oct 28 - October 14, 2020
- The Annenberg Center Presents the Philadelphia Debut of Pam Tanowitz Dance, Livestreamed Thursday, October 15 - October 8, 2020
- KYL/D’s Inhale Performance Series Takes On A New Format, Oct 24 - October 1, 2020
- Founder of Community Bollywood Dance Project takes on a new role as Program Director of Dancing Classrooms Philly - September 24, 2020
- Philadelphia’s Rennie Harris Receives 2020 Doris Duke Artist Award - September 17, 2020
- Choreographer, Tommie-Waheed Evans to be featured in PDP’s Informance, Oct 14th - September 14, 2020