Pennsylvania Ballet and Artistic Director Angel Corella are pleased to announce James K. Payne, founder of Payne Academy of Ballet in Texas will begin leading The School of Pennsylvania Ballet for the 2018-2019 school year.
“I am happy to welcome Jim Payne as the director of The School of Pennsylvania Ballet,” said Pennsylvania Ballet Artistic Director Angel Corella. “His passion, dedication, and knowledge of classical technique will bring a fresh new energy to our School as we continue to build on the School’s artistic achievements.”
James K. Payne danced professionally for 11 years at Ballet West and Houston Ballet. He performed throughout the United States, Canada, and China, and served on the National Board for the American Guild of Musical Artists. During his dance career, Payne had the honor of performing ballets by many renowned choreographers including; George Balanchine, Marius Petipa, Ben Stevenson, William Forsythe, Jiri Kylian, Glen Tetley, Trey McIntyre, and Sir Kenneth MacMillan.
Upon his retirement from the stage, he transitioned to the management side of Houston Ballet, serving as Company Manager for two years. Due to his desire to return to the studio and share his knowledge, he created Payne Academy of Ballet with his wife Bridget Payne where, for the past 17 years, the Academy has flourished and currently has 200 ballet students.
“Jim brings a breadth of experience from his professional career, years of developing dancers, and his success in building a school,” said Shelly Power, Pennsylvania Ballet Executive Director. “We are eager for his arrival and are confident he will partner well with the community and continue the progress made by Assistant Artistic Director and Interim School Principal Samantha Dunster.”
As School Director Payne will teach a wide variety of classes, provide artistic leadership for the teachers and students, and oversee the administrative operations of the School. He will work to foster an environment that provides a healthy foundation in ballet for students looking for the highest caliber of dance education.
“I am honored that Pennsylvania Ballet has chosen me to lead the School,” said Payne. “With my experience building a successful school and passion for developing dancers as complete artists, I look forward to working with Angel Corella as we build the School for the future.”
The School of Pennsylvania Ballet
The School of Pennsylvania Ballet has 160 young dancers who gather their inspiration from studying in the same space and performing with the professional Company of Pennsylvania Ballet.
- SEX TAPE: new work by Gabrielle Revlock, Feb 16th - January 12, 2019
- Annenberg Center Live presents Martha Graham Dance Company in the EVE Project, Jan 25-26 - January 9, 2019
- BalletX Presents Spring Series 2019 with Premieres by Lil Buck and Nicolo Fonte and 2019 Choreographic Fellow Katarzyna Skarpetowska - January 8, 2019
- Former Philadanco Dancer, Dawn Marie Bazemore, named Performance Garage DanceVisions 2019 Resident Artist - January 8, 2019
- Bryn Mawr College Performing Arts Series presents Wintry Mix | Performance Festival, Jan 25-26 - December 19, 2018
- Polish Dance Artists Residency at Mascher Dance - November 29, 2018
- Annenberg Center Live Presents the Philadelphia Debut of Caleb Teicher & Company, Dec 14-15 - November 27, 2018
- Bryn Mawr College Performing Arts Series Presents Abby Z and the New Utility, Dec 7-8 - November 25, 2018
- Final Bow for Jessica Lang Dance at Annenberg Center Live, Nov 30-Dec 1 - November 19, 2018
- Kulu Mele African Dance & Drum Ensemble premieres Journey, Dec 1 - November 16, 2018