Philadelphia’s premier all-female tap company, The Lady Hoofers Tap Ensemble, is pleased to present their annual spring concert “On Tap” on May 12, 2018 at the Performance Garage. The 60-minute family-friendly concert will include the return of audience favorites plus two featured soloists and the premiere of four new works.
Most notably, the ensemble will premiere work by visiting choreographer Caleb Teicher, a critically-acclaimed dancer, choreographer, and teacher based in New York City. Teicher began his dance career in 2011 as a founding member of Michelle Dorrance’s celebrated company, Dorrance Dance, and now directs his own Caleb Teicher & Company (CT&Co) combining traditional American dance forms including tap, vernacular jazz, and lindy hop in performances around the world. In a new piece created specifically for The Lady Hoofers, Teicher alternates between acapella and musical sections to highlight the crisp, clean sound of the ensemble’s taps. The featured music is a remix of Michael Giacchino’s composition “Married Life” from the Pixar movie Up, which leans into old-fashioned jazz melodies. This Jeriztiction Remix adds a hip-hop layer that brings the tune into the new millennium.
“On Tap” will also feature solos by First Company dancers Tamera Dallam and Meg Sarachan, plus new and recrafted works by directors Katie Budris and Kat Richter. Budris is most excited to present Musicbox, which premiered as a work-in-progress last spring. In its final form, the seven-minute suite, the longest in the ensemble’s repertoire, explores the tension between tap dancers and a ballet-centric world as dancers compete for floor space to the musical quirks of Regina Spektor.
One of Richter’s pieces is a throwback to the origins of The Lady Hoofers, whose first production was an all-female revue entitled “Too Darn Hot” in the 2011 Philadelphia Fringe Festival. Having recreated the titular duet, Richter is excited to premiere a new version set for younger dancers. Audience favorite the Honeysuckle Rose Suite, choreographed by Richter, will also be returning to the stage. Currently, on maternity leave from the ensemble, Richter says, “I used to perform front and center in the Honeysuckle Rose Suite but am happy to pass the baton to one of our not-pregnant dancers. Nurturing new talent and seeing our newer dancers work their way through the ranks is one of the greatest joys of running this company.”
The Lady Hoofers Tap Ensemble, founded in 2011, provides educational resources and professional performance opportunities to promote the art of rhythm tap. Under the direction of Katie Budris (Managing Director) and Kat Richter (Artistic Director), the ensemble brings together local dancers and musicians to create both original choreography and improvised works. The company was selected to perform at the 2013 DanceUSA Conference and has performed at The Kimmel Center, The Wilma, The Forrest, Suzanne Roberts, and City Hall. Support for the ensemble is provided by the Philadelphia Cultural Fund.
The Lady Hoofers
Saturday, May 12, 2018 at 2 pm & 7 pm
Tickets: $25 General Admission or $18 Child/Student/Senior
Purchase online at https://the-lady-hoofers.ticketleap.com/on-tap-2018/
For more information, visit http://www.ladyhoofers.org
***Photo by Bicking Photography Studio
- Kun-Yang Lin/Dancers (KYL/D) Announces Four New Dance Artists for the 2019/2020 season - October 11, 2019
- SUPPER, People on the Move! performed by the Cardell Dance Theater comes to Drexel, Nov 8-10 - October 9, 2019
- Koresh 6th Annual Come Together Dance Festival, November 20-24 - October 9, 2019
- Taj Express: The Bollywood Musical Revue, Nov 14 - October 7, 2019
- SHARP Dance Company takes A Trip Back to the Original Woodstock with their home season revival of Aquarian Exposition, Nov 1-3 - October 7, 2019
- The Annenberg Center Presents Stars of American Ballet, Oct 18-19 - October 4, 2019
- Patawili creates a space for Filipino Philadelphians through dance, Oct 18 & 20 - October 4, 2019
- Get What You Need – a new city wide performance support platform for dance - October 3, 2019
- American Repertory Ballet names Ian Hussey as new Ballet Master - September 30, 2019
- Facing East presents its third year of collaboration with Riyaaz, Oct 11-12 - September 25, 2019