Dawn Marie Bazemore and her dance collective #dbdanceproject presents The Browder Project on Saturday, May 19, 2018, 7 pm at the Performance Garage. The Browder Project is a collaborative dance work inspired by the experiences of Kalief Browder who, at 16 years of age was falsely arrested and forced to spend three years of his life in one of the worst prisons on Rikers Island.
Kalief endured abuse at the hands of the gang-affiliated inmates and the corrections officers who forced him to spend the majority of his stay in solitary confinement.
After ultimately being released without ever actually standing trial, Kalief struggled with mental instability, severe PTSD and spiraled into a deep sea of pain and paranoia, which ultimately ended in his untimely death by suicide at the age of 22. The Browder Project explores the catastrophic mental effects of solitary confinement, the disenfranchisement of young black men and the compassion of a mother trying to save her son.
Dawn Marie Bazemore (Choreographer) is a Philadelphia based performer, choreographer and dance educator. She is currently an Assistant Professor in the Department of Theatre and Dance at Rowan University and has served as a Master Lecturer/Artist in Residence at The University of the Arts, Virginia Commonwealth University and the University of North Carolina School for the Arts. Dawn Marie was a member of Philadanco from 1998-2009 and has received two commissions to create work for the world-renowned company. Her piece A Movement for Five made its successful 2015 world premiere in Philadelphia and will premier in NY at the Joyce Theater in June 2018. The Browder Project is the inaugural premiere for her group #dbdanceproject, a dance collective dedicated to the use of art to advocate for social justice.
The Browder Project
Saturday, May 19, 2018 at 7 pm
Performance Garage 1515 Brandywine St. Phila, PA 19130
Tickets $15 online at https://thebrowderproject.brownpapertickets.com
The Browder Project has been generously funded by The Rowan University Seed Funding Program and Pennsylvania Council On The Arts.
- Philly Kerplop, a supercrew of all styles dancers and musicians, presents Blaow! Cosmos? - November 16, 2019
- Lightbox Film Center Celebrates Legacy of Ed Emshwiller in First-of-its-Kind Retrospective Exhibit - November 11, 2019
- Project Moshen Tackles Ovarian Cancer with Excerpts - October 29, 2019
- The Pew Center for Arts & Heritage Announces 2019 Grants for Philadelphia Artists, Organizations - October 21, 2019
- Kun-Yang Lin/Dancers (KYL/D) Announces Four New Dance Artists for the 2019/2020 season - October 11, 2019
- Koresh 6th Annual Come Together Dance Festival, November 20-24 - October 9, 2019
- Metropolitan Ballet Company presents Peter Pan, Nov 23-24 - October 7, 2019
- Perspectives A Presentation of New Work by Temple University Dance B.F.A. Seniors, Nov 22-23 - October 7, 2019
- The Lady Hoofers Tap Ensemble Establishes Residence On Broad Street With The Tapcracker, Dec 14-15 - October 6, 2019
- Taj Express: The Bollywood Musical Revue, Nov 14 - October 5, 2019