Dawn Marie Bazemore and her dance collective #dbdanceproject presents The Browder Project on Saturday, May 19, 2018, 7 pm at the Performance Garage. The Browder Project is a collaborative dance work inspired by the experiences of Kalief Browder who, at 16 years of age was falsely arrested and forced to spend three years of his life in one of the worst prisons on Rikers Island.
Kalief endured abuse at the hands of the gang-affiliated inmates and the corrections officers who forced him to spend the majority of his stay in solitary confinement.
After ultimately being released without ever actually standing trial, Kalief struggled with mental instability, severe PTSD and spiraled into a deep sea of pain and paranoia, which ultimately ended in his untimely death by suicide at the age of 22. The Browder Project explores the catastrophic mental effects of solitary confinement, the disenfranchisement of young black men and the compassion of a mother trying to save her son.
Dawn Marie Bazemore (Choreographer) is a Philadelphia based performer, choreographer and dance educator. She is currently an Assistant Professor in the Department of Theatre and Dance at Rowan University and has served as a Master Lecturer/Artist in Residence at The University of the Arts, Virginia Commonwealth University and the University of North Carolina School for the Arts. Dawn Marie was a member of Philadanco from 1998-2009 and has received two commissions to create work for the world-renowned company. Her piece A Movement for Five made its successful 2015 world premiere in Philadelphia and will premier in NY at the Joyce Theater in June 2018. The Browder Project is the inaugural premiere for her group #dbdanceproject, a dance collective dedicated to the use of art to advocate for social justice.
The Browder Project
Saturday, May 19, 2018 at 7 pm
Performance Garage 1515 Brandywine St. Phila, PA 19130
Tickets $15 online at https://thebrowderproject.brownpapertickets.com
The Browder Project has been generously funded by The Rowan University Seed Funding Program and Pennsylvania Council On The Arts.
- FringeArts announces open call to participate in large-scale public dance processional, Úumbal: Nomadic Choreography for Inhabitants - March 5, 2019
- Stone Depot presents Twos & Threes, March 29th - March 5, 2019
- PyA presents Marcando el Terreno – Flamenco and Feminism, April 6-7 - March 3, 2019
- SHARP Dance Company to perform 669, April 13 - March 2, 2019
- The Annenberg Center Live Announces 2019-20 Dance Season - March 1, 2019
- PHILADANCO, returns to the Kimmel Center with Dance Philly Style, a celebration of Philadelphia’s contribution to the dance world, April 12-14 - February 28, 2019
- Italy’s awe-inspiring NoGravity Dance Company to perform From Hell to Paradise at the Kimmel Center, April 20th - February 28, 2019
- Koresh Dance Company to premiere La Danse, inspired by Matisse’s famous painting, April 25-28 - February 16, 2019
- Kun-Yang Lin/Dancers at Annenberg Center Live, April 12-13 - February 14, 2019
- Annenberg Center Live Presents Dance Theatre of Harlem, the 2018-19 Artist-in-Residence, March 1-2 - February 13, 2019