Dawn Marie Bazemore and her dance collective #dbdanceproject presents The Browder Project on Saturday, May 19, 2018, 7 pm at the Performance Garage. The Browder Project is a collaborative dance work inspired by the experiences of Kalief Browder who, at 16 years of age was falsely arrested and forced to spend three years of his life in one of the worst prisons on Rikers Island.
Kalief endured abuse at the hands of the gang-affiliated inmates and the corrections officers who forced him to spend the majority of his stay in solitary confinement.
After ultimately being released without ever actually standing trial, Kalief struggled with mental instability, severe PTSD and spiraled into a deep sea of pain and paranoia, which ultimately ended in his untimely death by suicide at the age of 22. The Browder Project explores the catastrophic mental effects of solitary confinement, the disenfranchisement of young black men and the compassion of a mother trying to save her son.
Dawn Marie Bazemore (Choreographer) is a Philadelphia based performer, choreographer and dance educator. She is currently an Assistant Professor in the Department of Theatre and Dance at Rowan University and has served as a Master Lecturer/Artist in Residence at The University of the Arts, Virginia Commonwealth University and the University of North Carolina School for the Arts. Dawn Marie was a member of Philadanco from 1998-2009 and has received two commissions to create work for the world-renowned company. Her piece A Movement for Five made its successful 2015 world premiere in Philadelphia and will premier in NY at the Joyce Theater in June 2018. The Browder Project is the inaugural premiere for her group #dbdanceproject, a dance collective dedicated to the use of art to advocate for social justice.
The Browder Project
Saturday, May 19, 2018 at 7 pm
Performance Garage 1515 Brandywine St. Phila, PA 19130
Tickets $15 online at https://thebrowderproject.brownpapertickets.com
The Browder Project has been generously funded by The Rowan University Seed Funding Program and Pennsylvania Council On The Arts.
- Yvonne Rainer’s Lives of Performers + Trio A with Introduction by Philadelphia Dance Projects’ Terry Fox - July 14, 2019
- Big Teeth Performance Collective’s Ordinary Creatures, July 19 - June 30, 2019
- 2019 Fringe Festival Curated Programming for Dance - June 13, 2019
- Almanac Dance Circus Theatre presents The Return of xoxo moongirl June 14-23 - June 6, 2019
- BalletX’s First-Ever Block Party - May 28, 2019
- Philadanco’s 50 Year Legacy - May 28, 2019
- BalletX Announces 2019-20 Season – 8 World Premieres - May 23, 2019
- Works choreographed by Bryan Koulman, featuring dancers of the Pennsylvania Ballet, June 6-8 - May 8, 2019
- BalletX Presents Summer Series 2019 featuring The Little Prince by choreographer Annabelle Lopez Ochoa - May 7, 2019
- Philadelphia hip-hop legend Rennie Harris’ new work Funkedified, June 7-8 - May 7, 2019