When everything is wrong, do you ground yourself first—or charge into the flames? Tangle Movement Arts presents Elements of Friction, an evening-length circus-theater experience premiering at the Icebox Project Space on March 23-24, 2018. In this all-new collection of contemporary circus arts, trapeze and aerial silks play out elemental tensions, inspired by the rhythms of nature and the power of collective action.
Tangle’s acrobats spark connection, flow between worlds, absorb new ideas, and drift into fresh territory. Mixing live music, dynamic acrobatics, and video installation by immersive digital artist Carver Audain, Tangle’s ten-woman cast searches for balance as stone strikes flame and wind ripples water. Elements of Friction offers a patchwork of strategies, a toolkit of renewal and resistance, and an explosion of aerial dance.
“Friction is the force of two bodies moving against each other. Our new show looks to the forces of nature to help us negotiate new rules and pathways, for when the familiar isn’t functioning,” says Tangle founder Lauren Rile Smith. “Tangle’s aerial performance pushes the boundaries of what you can expect to see in a circus show, and we’re thrilled to be working in the unique space of Crane Arts’ Icebox Project Space.”
Tangle Movement Arts is a circus arts company with a contemporary twist, whose work integrates traditional circus like trapeze and aerial silks with dance, theater, and spoken word to tell a multi-dimensional story. Tangle’s work reflects individuals of diverse identities, with an emphasis on queer and female experiences, and is devised collaboratively by its all-female ensemble.
Tangle is based in Philadelphia and has been a Philly FringeArts Festival favorite since its inception in 2011. Philadelphia Weekly says Tangle “blends circus-style acrobatics with a smart theatrical spin.”
Elements of Friction premieres at The Icebox Project Street (1400 N. American Street) on Friday March 23rd (8pm), and Saturday March 24th (3pm and 8pm). Tickets ($10-20) are available via www.tangle-arts.com.
Photo credit: Michael Ermilio
- The Annenberg Center Presents PHILADANCO’s Xmas Philes, Dec. 12-14 - December 5, 2019
- George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker® Returns to Pennsylvania Ballet, Dec 6-31 - November 27, 2019
- BalletX Presents Fall Series 2019, Dec 4-15 - November 27, 2019
- Philly Kerplop, a supercrew of all styles dancers and musicians, presents Blaow! Cosmos? - November 16, 2019
- The Lady Hoofers Tap Ensemble Establishes Residence On Broad Street With The Tapcracker, Dec 14-15 - November 14, 2019
- Lightbox Film Center Celebrates Legacy of Ed Emshwiller in First-of-its-Kind Retrospective Exhibit - November 11, 2019
- Project Moshen Tackles Ovarian Cancer with Excerpts - October 29, 2019
- The Pew Center for Arts & Heritage Announces 2019 Grants for Philadelphia Artists, Organizations - October 21, 2019
- Kun-Yang Lin/Dancers (KYL/D) Announces Four New Dance Artists for the 2019/2020 season - October 11, 2019
- Koresh 6th Annual Come Together Dance Festival, November 20-24 - October 9, 2019