When everything is wrong, do you ground yourself first—or charge into the flames? Tangle Movement Arts presents Elements of Friction, an evening-length circus-theater experience premiering at the Icebox Project Space on March 23-24, 2018. In this all-new collection of contemporary circus arts, trapeze and aerial silks play out elemental tensions, inspired by the rhythms of nature and the power of collective action.
Tangle’s acrobats spark connection, flow between worlds, absorb new ideas, and drift into fresh territory. Mixing live music, dynamic acrobatics, and video installation by immersive digital artist Carver Audain, Tangle’s ten-woman cast searches for balance as stone strikes flame and wind ripples water. Elements of Friction offers a patchwork of strategies, a toolkit of renewal and resistance, and an explosion of aerial dance.
“Friction is the force of two bodies moving against each other. Our new show looks to the forces of nature to help us negotiate new rules and pathways, for when the familiar isn’t functioning,” says Tangle founder Lauren Rile Smith. “Tangle’s aerial performance pushes the boundaries of what you can expect to see in a circus show, and we’re thrilled to be working in the unique space of Crane Arts’ Icebox Project Space.”
Tangle Movement Arts is a circus arts company with a contemporary twist, whose work integrates traditional circus like trapeze and aerial silks with dance, theater, and spoken word to tell a multi-dimensional story. Tangle’s work reflects individuals of diverse identities, with an emphasis on queer and female experiences, and is devised collaboratively by its all-female ensemble.
Tangle is based in Philadelphia and has been a Philly FringeArts Festival favorite since its inception in 2011. Philadelphia Weekly says Tangle “blends circus-style acrobatics with a smart theatrical spin.”
Elements of Friction premieres at The Icebox Project Street (1400 N. American Street) on Friday March 23rd (8pm), and Saturday March 24th (3pm and 8pm). Tickets ($10-20) are available via www.tangle-arts.com.
Photo credit: Michael Ermilio
- Agama Indian Classical Arts Festival comes to Philadelphia, Sept 6-8 - August 21, 2019
- HONEY Dances on the search for sweetness, Sept 13-15 - August 20, 2019
- Elba Hevia y Vaca’s La Bolivianita to premiere at 2019 Fringe Festival, Sept 19-22 - August 13, 2019
- 2019 Women in Dance Leadership Conference , October 17-19 - August 12, 2019
- Power Play: Making process in performance, August 28 - August 11, 2019
- Lyons and Tigers presents Proceed with Caution in the 2019 Philadelphia Fringe Festival, Sept 20-22 - August 10, 2019
- Inclined Dance Project presents T U R F, Sept 12-13 - August 9, 2019
- Philadelphia artist connects with Minneapolis live via dance and tech with SplitScreen, Sept 6-15 - August 8, 2019
- States of Matter explores the boundaries of contemporary ballet, Sept 5-6 - August 7, 2019
- Nichole Canuso Dance Company presents Sneakers, September 6-10 - August 7, 2019