When everything is wrong, do you ground yourself first—or charge into the flames? Tangle Movement Arts presents Elements of Friction, an evening-length circus-theater experience premiering at the Icebox Project Space on March 23-24, 2018. In this all-new collection of contemporary circus arts, trapeze and aerial silks play out elemental tensions, inspired by the rhythms of nature and the power of collective action.
Tangle’s acrobats spark connection, flow between worlds, absorb new ideas, and drift into fresh territory. Mixing live music, dynamic acrobatics, and video installation by immersive digital artist Carver Audain, Tangle’s ten-woman cast searches for balance as stone strikes flame and wind ripples water. Elements of Friction offers a patchwork of strategies, a toolkit of renewal and resistance, and an explosion of aerial dance.
“Friction is the force of two bodies moving against each other. Our new show looks to the forces of nature to help us negotiate new rules and pathways, for when the familiar isn’t functioning,” says Tangle founder Lauren Rile Smith. “Tangle’s aerial performance pushes the boundaries of what you can expect to see in a circus show, and we’re thrilled to be working in the unique space of Crane Arts’ Icebox Project Space.”
Tangle Movement Arts is a circus arts company with a contemporary twist, whose work integrates traditional circus like trapeze and aerial silks with dance, theater, and spoken word to tell a multi-dimensional story. Tangle’s work reflects individuals of diverse identities, with an emphasis on queer and female experiences, and is devised collaboratively by its all-female ensemble.
Tangle is based in Philadelphia and has been a Philly FringeArts Festival favorite since its inception in 2011. Philadelphia Weekly says Tangle “blends circus-style acrobatics with a smart theatrical spin.”
Elements of Friction premieres at The Icebox Project Street (1400 N. American Street) on Friday March 23rd (8pm), and Saturday March 24th (3pm and 8pm). Tickets ($10-20) are available via www.tangle-arts.com.
Photo credit: Michael Ermilio
- PDP Presents Christopher Williams’ Informance, Nov 11 - October 26, 2020
- Boyer College of Music and Dance presents: Altered Tastes An MFA Thesis Concert by Megan Bridge & Rachel DeForrest Repinz, Nov 6 - October 22, 2020
- BalletX World Premiere Event Will Feature Three Short Films by Robbie Fairchild, Amy Hall Garner, Mariana Oliveira, Nov 18 - October 22, 2020
- Bryn Mawr College Dance Program presents The Porch: A Studio Dialogue with Nia Love and Fred Moten, Nov 12 - October 21, 2020
- Artist Chats with Roni Koresh: Creativity in Times of COVID - October 19, 2020
- PDP’s online Informances continue with Dr. Lynn Matluck Brooks, Oct 28 - October 14, 2020
- The Annenberg Center Presents the Philadelphia Debut of Pam Tanowitz Dance, Livestreamed Thursday, October 15 - October 8, 2020
- KYL/D’s Inhale Performance Series Takes On A New Format, Oct 24 - October 1, 2020
- Founder of Community Bollywood Dance Project takes on a new role as Program Director of Dancing Classrooms Philly - September 24, 2020
- Philadelphia’s Rennie Harris Receives 2020 Doris Duke Artist Award - September 17, 2020