On Saturday, February 24, The Philadelphia Argentine Tango School (PATS) will hold a special event to celebrate its 10th anniversary. This amped-up version of their monthly social dance, “Milonga Qilombo,” includes: live Music by the Theresia Thylin Tango Quartet (Theresia Thylin, vocals; Emiliano Messiez, piano; Javier Sanchez, bandoneon; and Pablo Lanouguere, double bass); a performance by PATS founders, Andres Amarilla & Meredith Klein; a boutique of tango clothes & shoes provided by La Mina Tango Boutique; an all-levels tango workshop (beginners welcome!) taught by Andres & Meredith; and Guest DJ Dasha Khripkova (Washington, DC). The event will take place at the Lithuanian Music Hall Association,2715 E. Allegheny Ave., Philadelphia, PA 19134 in Port Richmond. Tango dancers of all levels, including tango-curious first-time beginners, are welcome!
Founded in 2008 by Andres Amarilla & Meredith Klein, the school initially operated out of a friend’s sculpture studio on South Street. In October 2009, Andres & Meredith purchased a building on Frankford Avenue in Fishtown, attracted by the concept of the Frankford Avenue Arts Corridor, developed by the New Kensington Community Development Corporation.
Meredith Klein directs the Philadelphia Argentine Tango School. She began dancing tango in 1999 in Massachusetts, and it slowly took over her life. She moved to Buenos Aires in 2005, where she met her dance partner, Andres Amarilla. Together, they have taught throughout the world, including in Australia, Turkey, Poland, Cyprus, Brazil, Argentina, and Canada, as well as in 35 cities throughout the United States.
The Philadelphia Argentine Tango School has tirelessly promoted and taught Argentine tango for the past 10 years, growing the Philadelphia tango community and gaining national and international recognition. The Philadelphia Argentine Tango School is most notable for their Philadelphia International Tango Festival, which is attended by over 500 dancers from throughout the US and around the world. The 8th Philly Tango Fest, is scheduled to take place this year from May 25-28, 2018. PATS has also organized and promoted large-scale tango events at many major landmarks in Philadelphia, including the Philadelphia Museum of Art, Barnes Foundation, Swann Memorial Fountain, LOVE Park, City Hall, the Kimmel Center, the main branch of the Philadelphia Free Library, the Navy Yard, and more
Tickets for Milonga Qilombo, the 10th Anniversary Celebration for Saturday, February 24, 2018 are available at http://philadelphiatangoschool.com/Qilombo_2-24-18.html. The milonga + workshop cost $30 in advance; $40 at the door. The milonga alone costs $20 in advance; $30 at the door. Online registration closes at midnight on Thursday, February 22.
- Fleisher Art Memorial presents HERstory: A collaboration of dance, theater, poetry, music and film, March 30th - March 18, 2018
- I’m A Dancer Screening Coming to Philadelphia, March 29 - March 17, 2018
- Pennsylvania Ballet Concludes the 2017-2018 Season with Two Spring Programs - March 14, 2018
- The Lehigh Valley Dance Exchange SpringUP Dance Festival, April 7-8 - March 12, 2018
- Project Moshen – Woman, April 13-15 - March 8, 2018
- Christina Eltvedt’s Dance Installation Performance at the MAAS, March 24 & 25 - March 6, 2018
- Tangle Movement Arts presents Elements of Friction, March 23-24 - March 5, 2018
- Take It Off Broadway: Burlesque Variety Show, March 10 - February 27, 2018
- Jérôme Bel’s Gala returns for one night only, March 9th - February 24, 2018
- Leah Stein Dance Company announces Studio Works performance series - February 21, 2018