On Saturday, February 24, The Philadelphia Argentine Tango School (PATS) will hold a special event to celebrate its 10th anniversary. This amped-up version of their monthly social dance, “Milonga Qilombo,” includes: live Music by the Theresia Thylin Tango Quartet (Theresia Thylin, vocals; Emiliano Messiez, piano; Javier Sanchez, bandoneon; and Pablo Lanouguere, double bass); a performance by PATS founders, Andres Amarilla & Meredith Klein; a boutique of tango clothes & shoes provided by La Mina Tango Boutique; an all-levels tango workshop (beginners welcome!) taught by Andres & Meredith; and Guest DJ Dasha Khripkova (Washington, DC). The event will take place at the Lithuanian Music Hall Association,2715 E. Allegheny Ave., Philadelphia, PA 19134 in Port Richmond. Tango dancers of all levels, including tango-curious first-time beginners, are welcome!
Founded in 2008 by Andres Amarilla & Meredith Klein, the school initially operated out of a friend’s sculpture studio on South Street. In October 2009, Andres & Meredith purchased a building on Frankford Avenue in Fishtown, attracted by the concept of the Frankford Avenue Arts Corridor, developed by the New Kensington Community Development Corporation.
Meredith Klein directs the Philadelphia Argentine Tango School. She began dancing tango in 1999 in Massachusetts, and it slowly took over her life. She moved to Buenos Aires in 2005, where she met her dance partner, Andres Amarilla. Together, they have taught throughout the world, including in Australia, Turkey, Poland, Cyprus, Brazil, Argentina, and Canada, as well as in 35 cities throughout the United States.
The Philadelphia Argentine Tango School has tirelessly promoted and taught Argentine tango for the past 10 years, growing the Philadelphia tango community and gaining national and international recognition. The Philadelphia Argentine Tango School is most notable for their Philadelphia International Tango Festival, which is attended by over 500 dancers from throughout the US and around the world. The 8th Philly Tango Fest, is scheduled to take place this year from May 25-28, 2018. PATS has also organized and promoted large-scale tango events at many major landmarks in Philadelphia, including the Philadelphia Museum of Art, Barnes Foundation, Swann Memorial Fountain, LOVE Park, City Hall, the Kimmel Center, the main branch of the Philadelphia Free Library, the Navy Yard, and more
Tickets for Milonga Qilombo, the 10th Anniversary Celebration for Saturday, February 24, 2018 are available at http://philadelphiatangoschool.com/Qilombo_2-24-18.html. The milonga + workshop cost $30 in advance; $40 at the door. The milonga alone costs $20 in advance; $30 at the door. Online registration closes at midnight on Thursday, February 22.
- World champion German breakdance troupe Flying Steps presents Flying Bach, Oct 28 - September 19, 2018
- Philly Sirens Dance Company Hosts 5th Year Anniversary Dance Competition, October 13th - September 18, 2018
- Homeworld, a performance installation for babies and their caregivers, Oct 5-14 - September 17, 2018
- 2018 Reflection:Response Commission presents Awilda Sterling Duprey’s Lacks Criticality, Sept 21 & 22 - September 15, 2018
- Leah Stein Dance Company – Ground Works, Sept 13-16 - September 5, 2018
- Tabla, Taiko, and Contemporary Dance meet at Swarthmore College, Oct 5 - September 5, 2018
- 3AM Theatre’s The Graveyard Slot, Sept 13-16 - September 3, 2018
- BalletX dancer Daniel Mayo joins Metropolitan Ballet Company Boys’ Scholarship Program - August 28, 2018
- WeftWorks Examines How Technology and Consumer Culture Affect Identity, Relationships, and the Environment - August 28, 2018
- Dara Meredith tackles the issue of mental illness with Beneath the Surface, Sept 14 & 15 - August 26, 2018