Mark Morris, the renowned choreographer, brings his company to Philadelphia for the first time in 14 years and serves as the Annenberg Center for the Performing Arts’ inaugural artist-in-residence. The February residency will encompass performances of the Mark Morris Dance Group and Music Ensemble, a Philadelphia Dance for PD® Symposium, an Arts4Youth performance for schoolchildren, college student masterclasses, and a Morris-curated American Musical Film Series.
Dances to American Music
Morris’ preeminent modern dance company, the Mark Morris Dance Group and Music Ensemble, returns to the Annenberg Center stage with two evening performances (Friday, February 9 and Saturday, February 10) of Dances to American Music, a program set to works by American composers. The program features a wide range of music and dance styles in the Philadelphia premiere of Pacific and Mosaic and United, as well as returning works Three Preludes and Grand Duo. Tickets are available at AnnenbergCenter.org or 215.898.3900.
Philadelphia Dance for PD® Symposium
The first-ever Philadelphia Dance for PD® Symposium on Saturday, February 10 will feature a workshop, class, film screening and performance, all dedicated to exploring the Mark Morris Dance Group’s acclaimed Dance for PD® program and the impact of dance, music and community on the lives of people with Parkinson’s disease. Space is limited and advance reservations are required. The Mark Morris Dance Group is co-founder and administrator of Dance for PD®, now a worldwide program. Click here for more information and here to register, or see the listing calendar at the end of the news release. Support for the Philadelphia Dance for PD® Symposium has been provided by The Sachs Program for Arts Innovation.
Mark Morris Dance Group Masterclass
Members of the Mark Morris Dance Group will lead a masterclass on Saturday, February 10, from 11 AM to 12:30 PM. The class is open to students from the University of Pennsylvania, Drexel University, Temple University, and the University of the Arts.
The Arts4Youth performance for schoolchildren is on Friday, February 9 at 12 noon. For more information and to order tickets, call 215.573.8827 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
American Musical Fim Series
Rounding out the residency, Morris handpicked four musical films to be screened weekly, each showcasing a wide breadth of dance, music style and dramatic situation.
- Philly Kerplop, a supercrew of all styles dancers and musicians, presents Blaow! Cosmos? - November 16, 2019
- Lightbox Film Center Celebrates Legacy of Ed Emshwiller in First-of-its-Kind Retrospective Exhibit - November 11, 2019
- Project Moshen Tackles Ovarian Cancer with Excerpts - October 29, 2019
- The Pew Center for Arts & Heritage Announces 2019 Grants for Philadelphia Artists, Organizations - October 21, 2019
- Kun-Yang Lin/Dancers (KYL/D) Announces Four New Dance Artists for the 2019/2020 season - October 11, 2019
- Koresh 6th Annual Come Together Dance Festival, November 20-24 - October 9, 2019
- Metropolitan Ballet Company presents Peter Pan, Nov 23-24 - October 7, 2019
- Perspectives A Presentation of New Work by Temple University Dance B.F.A. Seniors, Nov 22-23 - October 7, 2019
- The Lady Hoofers Tap Ensemble Establishes Residence On Broad Street With The Tapcracker, Dec 14-15 - October 6, 2019
- Taj Express: The Bollywood Musical Revue, Nov 14 - October 5, 2019