Mark Morris, the renowned choreographer, brings his company to Philadelphia for the first time in 14 years and serves as the Annenberg Center for the Performing Arts’ inaugural artist-in-residence. The February residency will encompass performances of the Mark Morris Dance Group and Music Ensemble, a Philadelphia Dance for PD® Symposium, an Arts4Youth performance for schoolchildren, college student masterclasses, and a Morris-curated American Musical Film Series.
Dances to American Music
Morris’ preeminent modern dance company, the Mark Morris Dance Group and Music Ensemble, returns to the Annenberg Center stage with two evening performances (Friday, February 9 and Saturday, February 10) of Dances to American Music, a program set to works by American composers. The program features a wide range of music and dance styles in the Philadelphia premiere of Pacific and Mosaic and United, as well as returning works Three Preludes and Grand Duo. Tickets are available at AnnenbergCenter.org or 215.898.3900.
Philadelphia Dance for PD® Symposium
The first-ever Philadelphia Dance for PD® Symposium on Saturday, February 10 will feature a workshop, class, film screening and performance, all dedicated to exploring the Mark Morris Dance Group’s acclaimed Dance for PD® program and the impact of dance, music and community on the lives of people with Parkinson’s disease. Space is limited and advance reservations are required. The Mark Morris Dance Group is co-founder and administrator of Dance for PD®, now a worldwide program. Click here for more information and here to register, or see the listing calendar at the end of the news release. Support for the Philadelphia Dance for PD® Symposium has been provided by The Sachs Program for Arts Innovation.
Mark Morris Dance Group Masterclass
Members of the Mark Morris Dance Group will lead a masterclass on Saturday, February 10, from 11 AM to 12:30 PM. The class is open to students from the University of Pennsylvania, Drexel University, Temple University, and the University of the Arts.
The Arts4Youth performance for schoolchildren is on Friday, February 9 at 12 noon. For more information and to order tickets, call 215.573.8827 or email email@example.com.
American Musical Fim Series
Rounding out the residency, Morris handpicked four musical films to be screened weekly, each showcasing a wide breadth of dance, music style and dramatic situation.
- Reflection:Response Choreographic Commission 2019 features kNots and Nests by Marion Ramírez - August 25, 2019
- 2019 Fringe Festival Curated Programming for Dance - August 23, 2019
- Agama Indian Classical Arts Festival comes to Philadelphia, Sept 6-8 - August 21, 2019
- Elba Hevia y Vaca’s La Bolivianita to premiere at 2019 Fringe Festival, Sept 19-22 - August 13, 2019
- 2019 Women in Dance Leadership Conference , October 17-19 - August 12, 2019
- Ani/Malayaworks and Drum Like a Lady present Sunset CypHER at Bartram’s Garden, Sept 21 - August 10, 2019
- Lyons and Tigers presents Proceed with Caution in the 2019 Philadelphia Fringe Festival, Sept 20-22 - August 10, 2019
- the after-image debuts in Philly with RE: SHE a litany of adventures, Sept 13-22 - August 10, 2019
- Leah Stein Dance Company premieres Close to Home, Sept 21-29 - August 10, 2019
- Kalila Kingsford Smith Dance Presents I Spy, With My Little Eye, Sept 12-15 - August 9, 2019