Mark Morris, the renowned choreographer, brings his company to Philadelphia for the first time in 14 years and serves as the Annenberg Center for the Performing Arts’ inaugural artist-in-residence. The February residency will encompass performances of the Mark Morris Dance Group and Music Ensemble, a Philadelphia Dance for PD® Symposium, an Arts4Youth performance for schoolchildren, college student masterclasses, and a Morris-curated American Musical Film Series.
Dances to American Music
Morris’ preeminent modern dance company, the Mark Morris Dance Group and Music Ensemble, returns to the Annenberg Center stage with two evening performances (Friday, February 9 and Saturday, February 10) of Dances to American Music, a program set to works by American composers. The program features a wide range of music and dance styles in the Philadelphia premiere of Pacific and Mosaic and United, as well as returning works Three Preludes and Grand Duo. Tickets are available at AnnenbergCenter.org or 215.898.3900.
Philadelphia Dance for PD® Symposium
The first-ever Philadelphia Dance for PD® Symposium on Saturday, February 10 will feature a workshop, class, film screening and performance, all dedicated to exploring the Mark Morris Dance Group’s acclaimed Dance for PD® program and the impact of dance, music and community on the lives of people with Parkinson’s disease. Space is limited and advance reservations are required. The Mark Morris Dance Group is co-founder and administrator of Dance for PD®, now a worldwide program. Click here for more information and here to register, or see the listing calendar at the end of the news release. Support for the Philadelphia Dance for PD® Symposium has been provided by The Sachs Program for Arts Innovation.
Mark Morris Dance Group Masterclass
Members of the Mark Morris Dance Group will lead a masterclass on Saturday, February 10, from 11 AM to 12:30 PM. The class is open to students from the University of Pennsylvania, Drexel University, Temple University, and the University of the Arts.
The Arts4Youth performance for schoolchildren is on Friday, February 9 at 12 noon. For more information and to order tickets, call 215.573.8827 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
American Musical Fim Series
Rounding out the residency, Morris handpicked four musical films to be screened weekly, each showcasing a wide breadth of dance, music style and dramatic situation.
- BalletX Spring and Summer Series 2020 Canceled - May 27, 2020
- Ballet, movement, imagination, and more with ZoomDance - May 18, 2020
- BalletX Says Farewell to Longtime Company Member Caili Quan – Welcomes Two New Dancers Savannah Green and Ashley Simpson - May 14, 2020
- Restorative Contact for Quarantine Buddies with Gabrielle Revlock - April 14, 2020
- The Lady Hoofers Tap Ensemble Spreads Joy Remotely During Pandemic - March 24, 2020
- ARTIST HOUSE / Asya Zlatina + Dancers present CARRY ON, Virtually April 2 at 12:30 pm - March 23, 2020
- Jeanine Durning Teaches two workshops in Philadelphia – POSTPONED - March 10, 2020
- Bill T. Jones, Deep Blue Sea is coming to the Mann, May 8-9 - March 2, 2020
- Philadelphia Dance Projects Presents A Provocative Evening of Screendance and Live Dance – POSTPONED - February 28, 2020
- Metropolitan Ballet’s 2020 Variations/Collaborations, POSTPONED - February 26, 2020