Mark Morris, the renowned choreographer, brings his company to Philadelphia for the first time in 14 years and serves as the Annenberg Center for the Performing Arts’ inaugural artist-in-residence. The February residency will encompass performances of the Mark Morris Dance Group and Music Ensemble, a Philadelphia Dance for PD® Symposium, an Arts4Youth performance for schoolchildren, college student masterclasses, and a Morris-curated American Musical Film Series.
Dances to American Music
Morris’ preeminent modern dance company, the Mark Morris Dance Group and Music Ensemble, returns to the Annenberg Center stage with two evening performances (Friday, February 9 and Saturday, February 10) of Dances to American Music, a program set to works by American composers. The program features a wide range of music and dance styles in the Philadelphia premiere of Pacific and Mosaic and United, as well as returning works Three Preludes and Grand Duo. Tickets are available at AnnenbergCenter.org or 215.898.3900.
Philadelphia Dance for PD® Symposium
The first-ever Philadelphia Dance for PD® Symposium on Saturday, February 10 will feature a workshop, class, film screening and performance, all dedicated to exploring the Mark Morris Dance Group’s acclaimed Dance for PD® program and the impact of dance, music and community on the lives of people with Parkinson’s disease. Space is limited and advance reservations are required. The Mark Morris Dance Group is co-founder and administrator of Dance for PD®, now a worldwide program. Click here for more information and here to register, or see the listing calendar at the end of the news release. Support for the Philadelphia Dance for PD® Symposium has been provided by The Sachs Program for Arts Innovation.
Mark Morris Dance Group Masterclass
Members of the Mark Morris Dance Group will lead a masterclass on Saturday, February 10, from 11 AM to 12:30 PM. The class is open to students from the University of Pennsylvania, Drexel University, Temple University, and the University of the Arts.
The Arts4Youth performance for schoolchildren is on Friday, February 9 at 12 noon. For more information and to order tickets, call 215.573.8827 or email email@example.com.
American Musical Fim Series
Rounding out the residency, Morris handpicked four musical films to be screened weekly, each showcasing a wide breadth of dance, music style and dramatic situation.
- Boyer College of Music and Dance presents: Altered Tastes An MFA Thesis Concert by Megan Bridge & Rachel DeForrest Repinz, Nov 6 - October 22, 2020
- BalletX World Premiere Event Will Feature Three Short Films by Robbie Fairchild, Amy Hall Garner, Mariana Oliveira, Nov 18 - October 22, 2020
- Bryn Mawr College Dance Program presents The Porch: A Studio Dialogue with Nia Love and Fred Moten, Nov 12 - October 21, 2020
- Artist Chats with Roni Koresh: Creativity in Times of COVID - October 19, 2020
- PDP’s online Informances continue with Dr. Lynn Matluck Brooks, Oct 28 - October 14, 2020
- The Annenberg Center Presents the Philadelphia Debut of Pam Tanowitz Dance, Livestreamed Thursday, October 15 - October 8, 2020
- KYL/D’s Inhale Performance Series Takes On A New Format, Oct 24 - October 1, 2020
- Founder of Community Bollywood Dance Project takes on a new role as Program Director of Dancing Classrooms Philly - September 24, 2020
- Philadelphia’s Rennie Harris Receives 2020 Doris Duke Artist Award - September 17, 2020
- Choreographer, Tommie-Waheed Evans to be featured in PDP’s Informance, Oct 14th - September 14, 2020