Pennsylvania Ballet’s spring season opens with Swan Lake, one of the most celebrated classical ballets of all time, at the Academy of Music March 8 – 18. This will be Pennsylvania Ballet’s first time presenting the full traditional production based on the choreography of Marius Petipa. In the past, the company has only performed shortened or re-imagined versions of Swan Lake.
“I’m excited to re-stage Marius Petipa’s Swan Lake to give our audience the opportunity to see the traditional version of one of ballet’s most famous classics,” said Angel Corella, Pennsylvania Ballet Artistic Director. “I am thrilled to premiere this Swan Lakeat the Academy of Music in a dramatic and beautiful production that I know audiences will love.”
Swan Lake shares the story of a young Prince Siegfried and his love for Odette. Cursed to live the life of a swan by day and a human by night, Odette’s only hope of breaking the evil spell is a declaration of true love. Unaware of the curse, Prince Siegfried is enamored by Odette and promises to pledge his love to her. However, all hope of a happy ending is lost when the Prince is tricked into pledging his love to Von Rothbart’s daughter, Odile, disguised by magic as Odette.
Impressive dancing, beautiful sets and costumes, and the gorgeous Tchaikovsky score bring to life this heartbreaking story of the beautiful Swan Queen Odette, accompanied by a full corps de ballet of swans.
Enjoy this classic full-length ballet at the Academy of Music this March:
– Thursday, March 8 at 7:30pm
– Friday, March 9 at 7:30pm
– Saturday, March 10 at 2:00pm
– Saturday, March 10 at 8:00pm
– Sunday, March 11 at 2:00pm
– Friday, March 16 at 11:00am
– Friday, March 16 at 7:30pm
– Saturday, March 17 at 2:00pm
– Saturday, March 17 at 8:00pm
– Sunday, March 18 at 2:00pm
Tickets are available online at paballet.org or by phone at 215.893.1999, and in person at the Kimmel Center Box Office.
Conversations with Pennsylvania Ballet
Please join us for Conversations with Pennsylvania Ballet, a free informal discussion with a dancer from the company who will talk about preparing for Swan Lake. This free event will be held on Monday, March 5 at 6:30pm at the Philadelphia City Institute Free Library (1905 Locust St, Philadelphia, PA).
Ignite your passion for dance with Preludes – Pennsylvania Ballet’s pre-show discussions. Held in the theater prior to most performances, Preludes features an ever-changing roster of company members, artistic and administrative staff, and visiting artists discussing Pennsylvania Ballet’s performances, taking questions, and offering behind-the-scenes insights. Preludes begins one hour prior to show time and is free and open to all patrons holding a ticket for the performance that follows. Preludes is a great way to meet other ballet fans, enhance your knowledge of the art form, and get to know the artists behind Pennsylvania Ballet’s beautiful and thrilling performances. Please note: Preludes is free and open to all ticket holders for the day listed on the ticket.
Swan Lake Dinner
Pennsylvania Ballet will mark the opening night of Swan Lake with an elegant dinner under the Academy of Music Ballroom chandeliers celebrating The Honorable Joyce Kean and Herbert Kean, M.D. Following the dinner, enjoy premier seating for the Opening Night performance of Swan Lake. Proceeds from this event will benefit new repertory works. For more information about this event, please contact Rachael Glashan Rupisan at firstname.lastname@example.org, or 215.587.6943 or visithttp://paballet.org/events/swan-lake-dinner/.
- Bryan Koulman Spring Show, June 7-9 - May 24, 2018
- School of Pennsylvania Ballet Welcomes James K. Payne as New Director - May 23, 2018
- RealLivePeople Presents returns for 4th year with works by Ohio, Pennsylvania, and California-based dance artists, June 1-2 - May 22, 2018
- BalletX Summer Series 2018 Features Three World Premieres by Penny Saunders, Matthew Neenan, and Andrew McNicol, July 11-22 - May 22, 2018
- BalletX Announces Community Day at the Center for World Premiere Choreography, June 2 - May 15, 2018
- Pennsylvania Ballet Promotes Ten Dancers - May 8, 2018
- Pasión y Arte presents My Voice, Our Voice | Mi Voz, Nuestra Voz, May 18 & 19 - May 7, 2018
- The Naked Stark presents Visible Structures, May 17-20 - May 6, 2018
- Jaamil Olawale Kosoko explores loss, resurrection, and paranormal activity with Séancers at FringeArts - May 5, 2018
- The Lady Hoofers Premiere Work by Guest Choreographer Caleb Teicher in On Tap, May 12th - May 4, 2018