International tango superstar German Cornejo and his world-renowned dance troupe, The Tango Fire Company of Buenos Aires, will return to the Merriam Theater in Tango Fire on Wednesday, January 31, 2018 at 8:00 p.m. A global phenomenon and the world’s leading tango company, Tango Fire has perfected the dynamic art of the tango, creating superb performances that sizzle with sensuality and unforgettable music. This exhilarating show combines the rawness and sophistication with the seductive and sultry side of tango and evokes the intoxicating passion of late night Buenos Aires.
“German Cornejo reveals the mesmerizing and intimate side of tango through the sumptuous precision of the Tango Fire company,” said Anne Ewers President and CEO of the Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts. “We look forward to hosting this captivating and culturally-expansive experience in Philadelphia.”
Choreographer and tango star, German Cornejo, will be joined by his sensuous and passionate partner Gisela Galeassi. A phenomenal cast will join them, featuring World Tango Champions and dancing greats from tango houses in Buenos Aires, Argentina. The performance will feature songs of the great tango masters including Piazzolla, Pugliese, and Gardel.
Conceived in 2005, Tango Fire premiered in Singapore followed by a performance at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival where they received critical acclaim. Following the Fringe Festival, the company rose to stardom and continued touring extensively, selling out some of the most prestigious venues around the world and attracting a YouTube audience of more than 20 million people. Truly unique in the world of tango, the troupe allows individual couples to choreograph their own solos with German Cornejo refining the steps, permitting a creative freedom that showcases individual styles and truly makes Tango Fire a matchless vision in the world of tango.
January 31, 2018, 8:00 p.m.
Tickets are on sale now and start at $39.00.
Tickets can be purchased by calling 215-893-1999, online at kimmelcenter.org, or at the Kimmel Center Box Office.
- Yvonne Rainer’s Lives of Performers + Trio A with Introduction by Philadelphia Dance Projects’ Terry Fox - July 14, 2019
- Big Teeth Performance Collective’s Ordinary Creatures, July 19 - June 30, 2019
- 2019 Fringe Festival Curated Programming for Dance - June 13, 2019
- Almanac Dance Circus Theatre presents The Return of xoxo moongirl June 14-23 - June 6, 2019
- BalletX’s First-Ever Block Party - May 28, 2019
- Philadanco’s 50 Year Legacy - May 28, 2019
- BalletX Announces 2019-20 Season – 8 World Premieres - May 23, 2019
- Works choreographed by Bryan Koulman, featuring dancers of the Pennsylvania Ballet, June 6-8 - May 8, 2019
- BalletX Presents Summer Series 2019 featuring The Little Prince by choreographer Annabelle Lopez Ochoa - May 7, 2019
- Philadelphia hip-hop legend Rennie Harris’ new work Funkedified, June 7-8 - May 7, 2019