The Board of Trustees of Pennsylvania Ballet is pleased to announce the appointment of Shelly Power as Executive Director. She will begin transitioning into the role in December.
“We are thrilled to welcome Shelly to the organization and delighted that Pennsylvania Ballet will benefit from her broad-based knowledge of all facets of a ballet company,” said David Hoffman, Pennsylvania Ballet Board Chair. “After an extensive five-month international search, Shelly was unanimously selected as our new executive director. Her artistic and administrative leadership experience and reputation, coupled with her passion for dance and her dynamic style will partner brilliantly with Artistic Director Angel Corella in the production of our performances and guide our school and our community engagement efforts. Together, Shelly and Angel will lead Pennsylvania Ballet in this exciting new era.”
Ms. Power brings to Pennsylvania Ballet her experiences in various artistic and executive leadership roles at Prix de Lausanne in Switzerland and Houston Ballet Academy. She has had great success in expanding the reach of the organizations she has worked for by increasing revenue and developing new audiences through collaborations, partnerships, and branding. In addition, she has experience in development, the implementation of strategic plans, and the planning and construction of a new dance building.
“I truly look forward to partnering with Shelly as she steps into her role as our Executive Director,” said Angel Corella, Pennsylvania Ballet Artistic Director. “Having been involved in the entire search process, I am certain Shelly is the best candidate to lead the administrative team that supports the artistic vision of the company. Together, we will bring new levels of excellence in ballet both on stage and in the community.”
During her nearly two-year tenure as CEO and Artistic Director at Prix de Lausanne in Switzerland, Ms. Power implemented strategic planning, designed innovative programming that targeted a diverse community, and developed programs to enhance the art of dance. She is also credited with developing strategic partnerships and relations for the organization. Before Prix de Lausanne, Ms. Power served for 12 years as the Administrative and Artistic Director of Houston Ballet Academy where she was a vital part of the planning and building of a new facility that helped the organization expand programming and community partnerships.
“I am thrilled about the opportunity to be Executive Director of Pennsylvania Ballet, and to work alongside world-renowned Artistic Director Angel Corella at this exciting time in the company’s history. Together with Angel and the Board, we will continue to build Pennsylvania Ballet’s success in Philadelphia, nationally and internationally,” said Power. “I have a tremendous passion for ballet. My passion, coupled with my deep knowledge of running a successful company, will guide the continued growth of Pennsylvania Ballet and will help to further strengthen the impact the organization will make for years to come.”
Ms. Power received a Bachelor of Science in Interdisciplinary Studies, with a focus on business, psychology, and fine arts from the University of Houston. She furthered her education at Rice University’s Leadership Institute for Non-Profit Executives and Case Western Reserve University’s Weatherhead School of Management’s Advanced Certification in Non-Profit Management. She has also held board positions at Sandra Organ Dance Company, Dominic Walsh Dance Theatre, Houston Dance Coalition, and American Festival for the Arts.
***Power Headshot by Melissa Fitzgerald
- SHARP Dance Company presents FAÇADE, November 2-4 - October 17, 2018
- PIMA Group and Christina Gesualdi/Jesse Kudler, November 10 - October 14, 2018
- Bill Shannon’s Touch Update explores social constructs surrounding disabled bodies - October 12, 2018
- Leah Stein Dance Company’s Second Season of Studio Works - October 10, 2018
- Documentary photographer Ted Lieverman Captures Dancers On Stage and Behind The Scenes - October 8, 2018
- BalletX Fall Series Presents International Choreographers Marguerite Donlon, Wubkje Kuindersma, and Cayetano Soto, Nov 28 – Dec 9 - October 3, 2018
- Philadelphia Premiere of Ten Tiny Dances: Mascher Space, Oct 26-27 - October 2, 2018
- Kun-Yang Lin/Dancers Fall Season Highlights New Works, Nov 9-10 - October 2, 2018
- Koresh Dance Company 5th Annual Come Together Dance Festival, Nov 14 – 18 - September 25, 2018
- PHILADANCO honors two longtime resident choreographers, Milton Myers and Christopher Huggins, Nov 16-18 - September 24, 2018