Megan Flynn Dance Company (MFDC), presents free performances at the Gateway at East Passyunk Avenue, on the corner of Broad and McKean, Philadelphia PA, 19148 on Saturday, December 9th at 2:00 and 3:30 PM.
MFDC’s past public performances have been described as “a marley full of magnificent dancing, reminding us that art strengthens community” (The Dance Journal, 2016). Flynn, a resident of East Passyunk, explains: “My dancers and I are inspired by the unconventional spaces throughout Philadelphia. We perform in traditional theatrical venues, but I love to interface with audience members as they go about their everyday routine: eating lunch at the Reading Terminal Market, enjoying a happy hour event at FringeArts’ La Peg, playing with their children in Fairmount Park, or listening to live music in an art gallery.” Flynn’s choreography deconstructs classical ballet and modern dance and creates a unique movement vocabulary that is contemporary, athletic, and nuanced. MFDC dancers embody qualities of grit and grace, strength, and sensitivity.
MFDC will perform excerpts of company repertory from the 2016-2017 season with “A Piece of This Place: A Pop-Up Performance” during the Second Saturday festivities on East Passyunk Avenue. The company will perform “We’re all a little bit stubborn” featuring original music composed by Alan Terricciano, which premiered at the Conwell Dance Theater during the 2016 Philadelphia Fringe Festival. The pop-up also marks the Philadelphia premiere of “All dreams collapsed in one second”, a duet selected for performance at the Actors Fund Arts Center in New York City this year.
Formed in 2015, MFDC is a company of highly-trained professional dancers, led by Artistic Director Megan Flynn, committed to connecting with the Philadelphia community through dance performance and education. The company presents original dance works exploring authenticity and celebrating vulnerability, in traditional proscenium venues, site-specific locations, and public spaces. Following the company’s premiere, Flynn was recognized for her “disciplined craftwomanship” and “expansive, full-bodied dancing” (The Dance Journal, 2015). Past performances include: Come Together Dance Festival, Philadelphia Fringe Festival, NACHMO NYC, FringeArts at the Reading Terminal Market, Allegheny Avenue Arts Festival, and the West Park Arts Festival.
A Piece of This Place: A Pop-Up Performance
Megan Flynn Dance Company
December 9, 2017, 2:00 & 3:30 PM
The Gateway at East Passyunk Avenue, on the corner of Broad and McKean, Philadelphia PA 19148
FREE to the public
- Reflection:Response Choreographic Commission 2019 features kNots and Nests by Marion Ramírez - August 25, 2019
- Agama Indian Classical Arts Festival comes to Philadelphia, Sept 6-8 - August 21, 2019
- HONEY Dances on the search for sweetness, Sept 13-15 - August 20, 2019
- Elba Hevia y Vaca’s La Bolivianita to premiere at 2019 Fringe Festival, Sept 19-22 - August 13, 2019
- 2019 Women in Dance Leadership Conference , October 17-19 - August 12, 2019
- Power Play: Making process in performance, August 28 - August 11, 2019
- Lyons and Tigers presents Proceed with Caution in the 2019 Philadelphia Fringe Festival, Sept 20-22 - August 10, 2019
- Leah Stein Dance Company premieres Close to Home, Sept 21-29 - August 10, 2019
- Kalila Kingsford Smith Dance Presents I Spy, With My Little Eye, Sept 12-15 - August 9, 2019
- Inclined Dance Project presents T U R F, Sept 12-13 - August 9, 2019