Megan Flynn Dance Company (MFDC), presents free performances at the Gateway at East Passyunk Avenue, on the corner of Broad and McKean, Philadelphia PA, 19148 on Saturday, December 9th at 2:00 and 3:30 PM.
MFDC’s past public performances have been described as “a marley full of magnificent dancing, reminding us that art strengthens community” (The Dance Journal, 2016). Flynn, a resident of East Passyunk, explains: “My dancers and I are inspired by the unconventional spaces throughout Philadelphia. We perform in traditional theatrical venues, but I love to interface with audience members as they go about their everyday routine: eating lunch at the Reading Terminal Market, enjoying a happy hour event at FringeArts’ La Peg, playing with their children in Fairmount Park, or listening to live music in an art gallery.” Flynn’s choreography deconstructs classical ballet and modern dance and creates a unique movement vocabulary that is contemporary, athletic, and nuanced. MFDC dancers embody qualities of grit and grace, strength, and sensitivity.
MFDC will perform excerpts of company repertory from the 2016-2017 season with “A Piece of This Place: A Pop-Up Performance” during the Second Saturday festivities on East Passyunk Avenue. The company will perform “We’re all a little bit stubborn” featuring original music composed by Alan Terricciano, which premiered at the Conwell Dance Theater during the 2016 Philadelphia Fringe Festival. The pop-up also marks the Philadelphia premiere of “All dreams collapsed in one second”, a duet selected for performance at the Actors Fund Arts Center in New York City this year.
Formed in 2015, MFDC is a company of highly-trained professional dancers, led by Artistic Director Megan Flynn, committed to connecting with the Philadelphia community through dance performance and education. The company presents original dance works exploring authenticity and celebrating vulnerability, in traditional proscenium venues, site-specific locations, and public spaces. Following the company’s premiere, Flynn was recognized for her “disciplined craftwomanship” and “expansive, full-bodied dancing” (The Dance Journal, 2015). Past performances include: Come Together Dance Festival, Philadelphia Fringe Festival, NACHMO NYC, FringeArts at the Reading Terminal Market, Allegheny Avenue Arts Festival, and the West Park Arts Festival.
A Piece of This Place: A Pop-Up Performance
Megan Flynn Dance Company
December 9, 2017, 2:00 & 3:30 PM
The Gateway at East Passyunk Avenue, on the corner of Broad and McKean, Philadelphia PA 19148
FREE to the public
- Koresh Continues Its Weekend Streaming Performance Series June 26-July 13 - June 23, 2020
- Fidget Participates in Inaugural Residency with Under Construction Arts - June 19, 2020
- BalletX Welcomes New Dance Fellow Shawn Cusseaux - June 17, 2020
- The Performance Garage Announces The 2020/21 DanceVisions’ Resident Artist, Joe González - June 15, 2020
- Roni Koresh short film series: HIDE YOUR FACE/UNMASK YOUR HEART, June 12-14 - June 12, 2020
- BalletX to Premiere Four Short Dance Films by Choreographers Hope Boykin, Rena Butler, Caili Quan, and Penny Saunders, June 14 - June 12, 2020
- Movers and Makers: Philadanco Turns 50, June 18 - June 10, 2020
- BalletX Spring and Summer Series 2020 Canceled - May 27, 2020
- Ballet, movement, imagination, and more with ZoomDance - May 18, 2020
- BalletX Says Farewell to Longtime Company Member Caili Quan – Welcomes Two New Dancers Savannah Green and Ashley Simpson - May 14, 2020