Megan Flynn Dance Company (MFDC), presents free performances at the Gateway at East Passyunk Avenue, on the corner of Broad and McKean, Philadelphia PA, 19148 on Saturday, December 9th at 2:00 and 3:30 PM.
MFDC’s past public performances have been described as “a marley full of magnificent dancing, reminding us that art strengthens community” (The Dance Journal, 2016). Flynn, a resident of East Passyunk, explains: “My dancers and I are inspired by the unconventional spaces throughout Philadelphia. We perform in traditional theatrical venues, but I love to interface with audience members as they go about their everyday routine: eating lunch at the Reading Terminal Market, enjoying a happy hour event at FringeArts’ La Peg, playing with their children in Fairmount Park, or listening to live music in an art gallery.” Flynn’s choreography deconstructs classical ballet and modern dance and creates a unique movement vocabulary that is contemporary, athletic, and nuanced. MFDC dancers embody qualities of grit and grace, strength, and sensitivity.
MFDC will perform excerpts of company repertory from the 2016-2017 season with “A Piece of This Place: A Pop-Up Performance” during the Second Saturday festivities on East Passyunk Avenue. The company will perform “We’re all a little bit stubborn” featuring original music composed by Alan Terricciano, which premiered at the Conwell Dance Theater during the 2016 Philadelphia Fringe Festival. The pop-up also marks the Philadelphia premiere of “All dreams collapsed in one second”, a duet selected for performance at the Actors Fund Arts Center in New York City this year.
Formed in 2015, MFDC is a company of highly-trained professional dancers, led by Artistic Director Megan Flynn, committed to connecting with the Philadelphia community through dance performance and education. The company presents original dance works exploring authenticity and celebrating vulnerability, in traditional proscenium venues, site-specific locations, and public spaces. Following the company’s premiere, Flynn was recognized for her “disciplined craftwomanship” and “expansive, full-bodied dancing” (The Dance Journal, 2015). Past performances include: Come Together Dance Festival, Philadelphia Fringe Festival, NACHMO NYC, FringeArts at the Reading Terminal Market, Allegheny Avenue Arts Festival, and the West Park Arts Festival.
A Piece of This Place: A Pop-Up Performance
Megan Flynn Dance Company
December 9, 2017, 2:00 & 3:30 PM
The Gateway at East Passyunk Avenue, on the corner of Broad and McKean, Philadelphia PA 19148
FREE to the public
- Boyer College of Music and Dance presents: Altered Tastes An MFA Thesis Concert by Megan Bridge & Rachel DeForrest Repinz, Nov 6 - October 22, 2020
- BalletX World Premiere Event Will Feature Three Short Films by Robbie Fairchild, Amy Hall Garner, Mariana Oliveira, Nov 18 - October 22, 2020
- Bryn Mawr College Dance Program presents The Porch: A Studio Dialogue with Nia Love and Fred Moten, Nov 12 - October 21, 2020
- Artist Chats with Roni Koresh: Creativity in Times of COVID - October 19, 2020
- PDP’s online Informances continue with Dr. Lynn Matluck Brooks, Oct 28 - October 14, 2020
- The Annenberg Center Presents the Philadelphia Debut of Pam Tanowitz Dance, Livestreamed Thursday, October 15 - October 8, 2020
- KYL/D’s Inhale Performance Series Takes On A New Format, Oct 24 - October 1, 2020
- Founder of Community Bollywood Dance Project takes on a new role as Program Director of Dancing Classrooms Philly - September 24, 2020
- Philadelphia’s Rennie Harris Receives 2020 Doris Duke Artist Award - September 17, 2020
- Choreographer, Tommie-Waheed Evans to be featured in PDP’s Informance, Oct 14th - September 14, 2020