The exciting first collaboration between Kathanghah Dance Company and Ujima Dance Theatre will be “Taste A D-Yawd,” featuring Portmore Theatre Dance Company of Kingston, Jamaica. The performance will held at The New Freedom Theatre, located at 1346 North Broad Street, onFriday, November 18th beginning at 7:30pm. A second performance will be on Sunday, November 19th with a matinee performance at 4pm.
“Taste A D-Yawd” presents dance work from the African-Caribbean Diaspora, with a blend of contemporary, ballet and jazz dance influences. The three companies, in addition to presenting cultural dance, will explore through movement socially conscious, emotionally-based pieces, such as “Southern Breeze.” Southern Breeze investigates how issues surrounding injustice and human rights people of African descent still face today. The dance piece “Bandit” will tell a story through movement of revenge and betrayal. “Women’s Voices” will focus on the power and strength of all women to overcome life’s challenges. “Triangle” is a piece choreographed by Chevaughn Anthony and will be performed by the Kathanghah Dance Company. “Triangle” shows us that dance can be presented in any form, using any kind of music. Anthony’s piece combines Ballet Pointe, African, Modern and the Jamaican reggae style. This piece channels the diversity of the company and its multifaceted, Caribbean art form roots.
The featured dance company, Portmore Theatre Dance Company is an African Caribbean Dance Company from Kingston Jamaica. Their Company’s style is a blend of Traditional Caribbean, African, modern and contemporary dance styles, under the direction of Anthony Carson.
Choreographers and Directors: Shana El Artistic Director of Ujima Dance Theatre and Co director of Kathanghah Dance Company, Chevaughn Louis Anthony Graham Artistic Director of Kathanghah and Co Director of Ujima Dance Theatre, Anthony Carson Artistic Director of the visiting Portmore Dance Theatre Company
“Taste A D-Yawd”
Saturday November 18th at 7:30pm
Sunday November 19th at 4pm
The New Freedom Theatre, 1346 N. Broad Street
Advance Tickets:$30 , $35 at the door
Purchase online at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/taste-a-d-yawd-tickets-38097972060
- Christina Castro-Tauser named executive director of International Ballet Exchange - July 7, 2020
- Koresh Continues Its Weekend Streaming Performance Series June 26-July 13 - June 23, 2020
- Fidget Participates in Inaugural Residency with Under Construction Arts - June 19, 2020
- BalletX Welcomes New Dance Fellow Shawn Cusseaux - June 17, 2020
- The Performance Garage Announces The 2020/21 DanceVisions’ Resident Artist, Joe González - June 15, 2020
- Roni Koresh short film series: HIDE YOUR FACE/UNMASK YOUR HEART, June 12-14 - June 12, 2020
- BalletX to Premiere Four Short Dance Films by Choreographers Hope Boykin, Rena Butler, Caili Quan, and Penny Saunders, June 14 - June 12, 2020
- Movers and Makers: Philadanco Turns 50, June 18 - June 10, 2020
- BalletX Spring and Summer Series 2020 Canceled - May 27, 2020
- Ballet, movement, imagination, and more with ZoomDance - May 18, 2020