The exciting first collaboration between Kathanghah Dance Company and Ujima Dance Theatre will be “Taste A D-Yawd,” featuring Portmore Theatre Dance Company of Kingston, Jamaica. The performance will held at The New Freedom Theatre, located at 1346 North Broad Street, onFriday, November 18th beginning at 7:30pm. A second performance will be on Sunday, November 19th with a matinee performance at 4pm.
“Taste A D-Yawd” presents dance work from the African-Caribbean Diaspora, with a blend of contemporary, ballet and jazz dance influences. The three companies, in addition to presenting cultural dance, will explore through movement socially conscious, emotionally-based pieces, such as “Southern Breeze.” Southern Breeze investigates how issues surrounding injustice and human rights people of African descent still face today. The dance piece “Bandit” will tell a story through movement of revenge and betrayal. “Women’s Voices” will focus on the power and strength of all women to overcome life’s challenges. “Triangle” is a piece choreographed by Chevaughn Anthony and will be performed by the Kathanghah Dance Company. “Triangle” shows us that dance can be presented in any form, using any kind of music. Anthony’s piece combines Ballet Pointe, African, Modern and the Jamaican reggae style. This piece channels the diversity of the company and its multifaceted, Caribbean art form roots.
The featured dance company, Portmore Theatre Dance Company is an African Caribbean Dance Company from Kingston Jamaica. Their Company’s style is a blend of Traditional Caribbean, African, modern and contemporary dance styles, under the direction of Anthony Carson.
Choreographers and Directors: Shana El Artistic Director of Ujima Dance Theatre and Co director of Kathanghah Dance Company, Chevaughn Louis Anthony Graham Artistic Director of Kathanghah and Co Director of Ujima Dance Theatre, Anthony Carson Artistic Director of the visiting Portmore Dance Theatre Company
“Taste A D-Yawd”
Saturday November 18th at 7:30pm
Sunday November 19th at 4pm
The New Freedom Theatre, 1346 N. Broad Street
Advance Tickets:$30 , $35 at the door
Purchase online at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/taste-a-d-yawd-tickets-38097972060
- Boyer College of Music and Dance presents: Altered Tastes An MFA Thesis Concert by Megan Bridge & Rachel DeForrest Repinz, Nov 6 - October 22, 2020
- BalletX World Premiere Event Will Feature Three Short Films by Robbie Fairchild, Amy Hall Garner, Mariana Oliveira, Nov 18 - October 22, 2020
- Bryn Mawr College Dance Program presents The Porch: A Studio Dialogue with Nia Love and Fred Moten, Nov 12 - October 21, 2020
- Artist Chats with Roni Koresh: Creativity in Times of COVID - October 19, 2020
- PDP’s online Informances continue with Dr. Lynn Matluck Brooks, Oct 28 - October 14, 2020
- The Annenberg Center Presents the Philadelphia Debut of Pam Tanowitz Dance, Livestreamed Thursday, October 15 - October 8, 2020
- KYL/D’s Inhale Performance Series Takes On A New Format, Oct 24 - October 1, 2020
- Founder of Community Bollywood Dance Project takes on a new role as Program Director of Dancing Classrooms Philly - September 24, 2020
- Philadelphia’s Rennie Harris Receives 2020 Doris Duke Artist Award - September 17, 2020
- Choreographer, Tommie-Waheed Evans to be featured in PDP’s Informance, Oct 14th - September 14, 2020