The exciting first collaboration between Kathanghah Dance Company and Ujima Dance Theatre will be “Taste A D-Yawd,” featuring Portmore Theatre Dance Company of Kingston, Jamaica. The performance will held at The New Freedom Theatre, located at 1346 North Broad Street, onFriday, November 18th beginning at 7:30pm. A second performance will be on Sunday, November 19th with a matinee performance at 4pm.
“Taste A D-Yawd” presents dance work from the African-Caribbean Diaspora, with a blend of contemporary, ballet and jazz dance influences. The three companies, in addition to presenting cultural dance, will explore through movement socially conscious, emotionally-based pieces, such as “Southern Breeze.” Southern Breeze investigates how issues surrounding injustice and human rights people of African descent still face today. The dance piece “Bandit” will tell a story through movement of revenge and betrayal. “Women’s Voices” will focus on the power and strength of all women to overcome life’s challenges. “Triangle” is a piece choreographed by Chevaughn Anthony and will be performed by the Kathanghah Dance Company. “Triangle” shows us that dance can be presented in any form, using any kind of music. Anthony’s piece combines Ballet Pointe, African, Modern and the Jamaican reggae style. This piece channels the diversity of the company and its multifaceted, Caribbean art form roots.
The featured dance company, Portmore Theatre Dance Company is an African Caribbean Dance Company from Kingston Jamaica. Their Company’s style is a blend of Traditional Caribbean, African, modern and contemporary dance styles, under the direction of Anthony Carson.
Choreographers and Directors: Shana El Artistic Director of Ujima Dance Theatre and Co director of Kathanghah Dance Company, Chevaughn Louis Anthony Graham Artistic Director of Kathanghah and Co Director of Ujima Dance Theatre, Anthony Carson Artistic Director of the visiting Portmore Dance Theatre Company
“Taste A D-Yawd”
Saturday November 18th at 7:30pm
Sunday November 19th at 4pm
The New Freedom Theatre, 1346 N. Broad Street
Advance Tickets:$30 , $35 at the door
Purchase online at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/taste-a-d-yawd-tickets-38097972060
- The Lady Hoofers Tap Ensemble Spreads Joy Remotely During Pandemic - March 24, 2020
- ARTIST HOUSE / Asya Zlatina + Dancers present CARRY ON, Virtually April 2 at 12:30 pm - March 23, 2020
- Jeanine Durning Teaches two workshops in Philadelphia – POSTPONED - March 10, 2020
- Bill T. Jones, Deep Blue Sea is coming to the Mann, May 8-9 - March 2, 2020
- Philadelphia Dance Projects Presents A Provocative Evening of Screendance and Live Dance – POSTPONED - February 28, 2020
- Metropolitan Ballet’s 2020 Variations/Collaborations, POSTPONED - February 26, 2020
- jumatatu m. poe receives 2020 Creative Capital Award - February 18, 2020
- Roger Lee Dance Company’s Spring Concert Series – Music – POSTPONED - February 17, 2020
- Foreign Tongues by Liquid Loft, March 11-12 - February 12, 2020
- Ballet Folclórico Nacional de México de SILVIA LOZANO, March 12 - February 12, 2020