Beloved Kimmel Center Resident Company PHILADANCO will perform its fall program at the Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts’ Perelman Theater December 15–17, 2017. H-I-S-T-O-R-Y will feature Walking with Pearl, about historic choreographer and dancer Pearl Primus; the world premiere of Pieces of My Heart, choreographed by Sonia Dawkins based on August Wilson poems; Forces of Rhythm by Tony Award winner Louis Johnson; and a piece from choreographer Geoffrey Holder performed by his wife, special guest artist and Kennedy Center Honors Award winner, Carmen de Lavallade.
PHILADANCO consistently creates vibrant and meaningful art on stage,” said Anne Ewers President and CEO of the Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts. “Philadelphia audiences are privileged to experience two different productions each season, and I know H-I-S-T-O-R-Y will be a powerful, engaging, and thrilling performance.”
Carmen de Lavallade has had an unparalleled career in dance, theater, film and television beginning in her hometown of Los Angeles where she performed with the Lester Horton Dance Theater. While in Los Angeles, Lena Horne introduced the then 17-year-old de Lavallade to the filmmakers at 20th Century Fox where she appeared in four movies, including Carmen Jones (1954) with Dorothy Dandridge and Odds Against Tomorrow (1959) with Harry Belafonte. During the filming of Carmen Jones, she met Herbert Ross, who asked her to appear as a dancer in the Broadway production of House of Flowers. Her dance career includes having ballets created for her by Lester Horton, Geoffrey Holder, Alvin Ailey, Glen Tetley, John Butler and Agnes de Mille.
The Philadelphia Dance Company (PHILADANCO) presents the highest quality of professional dance performance and improves the skills of emerging and professional dancers and choreographers. PHILADANCO is celebrated across the nation and around the world for its innovation, creativity, and preservation of predominantly African-American traditions in dance.
December 15, 2017, 7:30 p.m.
December 16, 2017, 2:30 p.m.
December 16, 2017, 7:30 p.m.
December 17, 2017, 2:30 p.m.
More information, click here
Tickets are on sale now and start at $30.00. Tickets can be purchased by calling 215-893-1999, online at www.kimmelcenter.org, or at the Kimmel Center Box Office. Group sales are available for groups of 10 or more and can be purchased by calling 215-790-5883. See kimmelcenter.org for more information.
- Take It Away Dance returns to the Philly Fringe with a full month of tap dance and jazz music concerts live-streamed on Sunday afternoons - August 11, 2020
- BalletX Goes Virtual with BalletX Beyond for Its 15th Anniversary Season - July 28, 2020
- Coming to FringeArts – Pasion y Arte’s Sevillana Get Togethers 2020, Sept 17 – Oct 4 - July 28, 2020
- Announcing the 2020 Philadelphia Fringe Festival Artist Lineup, Sep 10 – Oct 4 - July 24, 2020
- BalletX Celebrates Caili Quan, July 22 - July 14, 2020
- Poético Dance Collective transforms works in progress into virtual showcase - July 13, 2020
- Christina Castro-Tauser named executive director of International Ballet Exchange - July 7, 2020
- Koresh Continues Its Weekend Streaming Performance Series June 26-July 13 - June 23, 2020
- Fidget Participates in Inaugural Residency with Under Construction Arts - June 19, 2020
- BalletX Welcomes New Dance Fellow Shawn Cusseaux - June 17, 2020