Beloved Kimmel Center Resident Company PHILADANCO will perform its fall program at the Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts’ Perelman Theater December 15–17, 2017. H-I-S-T-O-R-Y will feature Walking with Pearl, about historic choreographer and dancer Pearl Primus; the world premiere of Pieces of My Heart, choreographed by Sonia Dawkins based on August Wilson poems; Forces of Rhythm by Tony Award winner Louis Johnson; and a piece from choreographer Geoffrey Holder performed by his wife, special guest artist and Kennedy Center Honors Award winner, Carmen de Lavallade.
PHILADANCO consistently creates vibrant and meaningful art on stage,” said Anne Ewers President and CEO of the Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts. “Philadelphia audiences are privileged to experience two different productions each season, and I know H-I-S-T-O-R-Y will be a powerful, engaging, and thrilling performance.”
Carmen de Lavallade has had an unparalleled career in dance, theater, film and television beginning in her hometown of Los Angeles where she performed with the Lester Horton Dance Theater. While in Los Angeles, Lena Horne introduced the then 17-year-old de Lavallade to the filmmakers at 20th Century Fox where she appeared in four movies, including Carmen Jones (1954) with Dorothy Dandridge and Odds Against Tomorrow (1959) with Harry Belafonte. During the filming of Carmen Jones, she met Herbert Ross, who asked her to appear as a dancer in the Broadway production of House of Flowers. Her dance career includes having ballets created for her by Lester Horton, Geoffrey Holder, Alvin Ailey, Glen Tetley, John Butler and Agnes de Mille.
The Philadelphia Dance Company (PHILADANCO) presents the highest quality of professional dance performance and improves the skills of emerging and professional dancers and choreographers. PHILADANCO is celebrated across the nation and around the world for its innovation, creativity, and preservation of predominantly African-American traditions in dance.
December 15, 2017, 7:30 p.m.
December 16, 2017, 2:30 p.m.
December 16, 2017, 7:30 p.m.
December 17, 2017, 2:30 p.m.
More information, click here
Tickets are on sale now and start at $30.00. Tickets can be purchased by calling 215-893-1999, online at www.kimmelcenter.org, or at the Kimmel Center Box Office. Group sales are available for groups of 10 or more and can be purchased by calling 215-790-5883. See kimmelcenter.org for more information.
- Miguel Gutierrez’s DEEP AEROBICS, Dec 2nd - November 21, 2017
- Pennsylvania Ballet Presents George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker®, Dec 8-31 - November 21, 2017
- Ballet 180 Presents Nutcracker Sweets, Dec 16th - November 21, 2017
- Pennsylvania Ballet Trustees Appoint Shelly Power as Executive Director - November 21, 2017
- A Holiday Celebration With An Edge – Brian Sanders’ URBAN SCUBA: ADULT SWIM - November 17, 2017
- BalletX to hold Groundbreaking for its New Center for World Premiere Choreography - November 1, 2017
- BalletX kicks off its 12th season with the return of Nicolo Fonte’s Beautiful Decay - October 25, 2017
- Donetsk Ballet celebrates 20 years of Nutcracker in Philadelphia, Dec 16-17 - October 22, 2017
- STOMP, the international percussion sensation returns to the Kimmel Center, Dec. 26-31 - October 21, 2017
- Kathanghah Dance Company and Ujima Dance Theatre host Taste A D-Yawd, Nov 18-19 - October 20, 2017